Card Reader

Old Jan 27, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Card Reader

When you MS you have thousands of cards stacked in the basement. I double checked them before throwing it in the box. I was wondering if you can get a card reader which you can use it at home and scan each one of the card to make sure there is no $500 hiding somewhere. Going to walmart and trying this on self check out is not an option because you are not talking about 20 or hundred cards. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Not sure if you can rent a terminal from Walmart during night shift for few hours and just keep swiping like a crazy monkey.
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post

Not sure if you can rent a terminal from Walmart during night shift for few hours and just keep swiping like a crazy monkey.
even if you can rent a terminal at WM, their registers can only read balance on WM giftcards.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
even if you can rent a terminal at WM, their registers can only read balance on WM giftcards.
That's all you need without having to type 16 digits, 3 digit etc on hundreds of cards. you want something, you can just swipe 30-40 cards per day and tells you if there is any money left. This will give you a peace of mind that not even penny left on those cards. remember on some cards the money can take upto a week to goback and if you checked it within a week, it might have said zero balance back then. Now when you check it after 6 months, you will know for sure.

Wonder if this will work. Add something small to the cart and keep swiping till you find a money.

https://squareup.com/get-a-reader?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8K2kl_342AIVBNNkCh3hSwXbE AAYASAAEgIuRfD_BwE&pcrid=244319006343&pdv=c&pkw=+c redit++card++readers&pmt=b

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 27, 18 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:51 pm

That's all you need without having to type 16 digits, 3 digit etc on hundreds of cards. you want something, you can just swipe 30-40 cards per day and tells you if there is any money left. This will give you a peace of mind that not even penny left on those cards. remember on some cards the money can take upto a week to goback and if you checked it within a week, it might have said zero balance back then. Now when you check it after 6 months, you will know for sure.
I'm pretty sure it won't work if you just want to check balance on any of your VGCs, even GDVGC from WM. For the sake of discussion, you can do this at SCO but you need to buy a small item, let's say a .49 candy bar/1 pc of banana and swipe one of your VGCs as payment. Whatever $ is left on VGC will pay partially or if there's zero balance, you have to choose another tender to pay for item which isn't just impractical but also expensive if you're talking about lots of VGCs to check.

I have made it a habit to drain my VGCs completely before I tuck them away so I don't have to check later if there's any balance left on each one.
Old Jan 27, 18, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post

I have made it a habit to drain my VGCs completely before I tuck them away so I don't have to check later if there's any balance left on each one.
I do too. I actually write on a VGC after it is unloaded and all throughout I dealt with $500 load and $500 unload, then I go home and punch in numbers to make sure the balance is Zero then write on em again. Before I tuck it away, I look for 2 different writing then it goes in my basement. Still, the kind of person I'm, I know what the fault lines are and want to check it one more time and then call it good. If there is something quick and dirty then that's what I was looking for. The square should work, you create two accounts, pay one account from another for let's a say a painting. I believe they send you a reader for free. When you try to pay it from the VGC which has zero balance then it should just decline the payment or something like, that is your way of validating there is nothing on it.
Old Jan 27, 18, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I tend to agree with the OP....when one engages in MSing, they end up with a lot of cards. I have a huge box of them and would also like an easy way to double check before tossing them.
Old Jan 27, 18, 3:27 pm

The square should work, you create two accounts, pay one account from another for let's a say a painting. I believe they send you a reader for free.
Doing so will get you shutdown in no time.
Old Jan 27, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Do you speak from experience? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Why would it shut you down? You and spouse have an online store, people buy and sell stuff. I have done it before for creating manufacture spending some years ago but closed it when it provided no benefit. At the time didn't think about this use.
Old Jan 27, 18, 5:15 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Previous discussion here:

Using Square Reader to Liquidate GCs

...but also look for other threads with the keyword square in the Title.
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I just throw mine away right after using them. Of course I always take the whole $500 off, and when I have $421 cards I try to use them right away, to avoid the chance that I spend $421 with a $500 card and then throw it away.

I don't keep a precise log of cards and such, but I do count them each time, and I'm careful to put them in the place they belong.

In the years I've been doing this and $1 million+ of GC's, I've never had anything happen that made me feel I'd left money on a card.

I sometimes wonder if anyone tries to rescue my cards from the trash can at the exit or on the restroom at WM and see if there's anything on them.

I feel more comfortable throwing them away than wondering "Have I actually used this card?"
Old Jan 28, 18, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I wish WM had bar code scanner in some corner where you can check the balance just like you check the price of an item.
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:25 pm

I use a sharpie to let me know when I drained the gc. I hold on to it for a month just in case. For cards I use for purchases, I hold on to it for a month and always try to use it for an actual purchase at a place that will drain what's left and it's no big deal. The fast food guys will all do this. Why do I do this? Because places like gas stations put a hold on the card that can last weeks. I've had zero balance cards come back after a month with $75 on it. Same goes for sit down restaurants who generally have tips added. They put a hold on the amount plus as much as 50% and it won't come back for a couple weeks.

I have no issue trying to do a "real" purchase at wal mart with 20 cards in my pocket. Nothing left, no big deal. Something left, you use it for your purchase. Cha-ching.
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:54 pm

I do too. I actually write on a VGC after it is unloaded and all throughout I dealt with $500 load and $500 unload, then I go home and punch in numbers to make sure the balance is Zero then write on em again. Before I tuck it away, I look for 2 different writing then it goes in my basement. Still, the kind of person I'm, I know what the fault lines are and want to check it one more time and then call it good. If there is something quick and dirty then that's what I was looking for. The square should work, you create two accounts, pay one account from another for let's a say a painting. I believe they send you a reader for free. When you try to pay it from the VGC which has zero balance then it should just decline the payment or something like, that is your way of validating there is nothing on it.
Your process already double checks that there's no more value in the VGCs before you stash them away, so what makes you think money will magically reappear on any of the cards? I don't get it. It'll be a waste of time if you have thousands of cards.
Old Jan 29, 18, 12:30 pm

Trying to run payment attempts in bulk on any payment processor or merchant will get you shut down. This is something that darkweb scammers do to check if hacked CC numbers are still valid.

I use a USB Card reader and enter the card stripe info and CVV2 number into a sheet, and then use macros to enter them into the balance check website. Captcha can make this slow though.

Search this Thread