Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New Jersey Man Investigated, Arrested After Purchasing Multiple Gift Cards From CVS

New Jersey Man Investigated, Arrested After Purchasing Multiple Gift Cards From CVS

Old Jan 23, 18, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

New Jersey Man Investigated, Arrested After Purchasing Multiple Gift Cards From CVS - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Either a brilliant ploy by the suspect to get his case thrown out, or an over zealous cop who thinks that purchasing gift cards with the possibility of using them as payment in exchange for sex is grounds for arrest.

Maybe the arresting officer is an agent from the future with the PreCrimes unit.

​​​​
​​
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Baffling. Why would a prostitute accept a plastic card, that might be empty?
Cop is a complete idiot. Maybe the alleged John was giving a smartass
answer and cop went all "well I'll show you Mister smarty pants!"
Old Jan 29, 18, 7:27 am

Programs: Several dozen
What ever happened to "In Jersey anything's legal as long as you don't get caught?"

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
Baffling. Why would a prostitute accept a plastic card, that might be empty?
Cop is a complete idiot. Maybe the alleged John was giving a smartass
answer and cop went all "well I'll show you Mister smarty pants!"
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:43 am

When you are buying thousands of dollars of Gift cards continuously for quite some time. You are lucky if nothing happened to you. You don't have to do anything wrong, it all depends on the interpretation and perception because it is not easy to justify why you buy so many gift cards. And remember you don't expect everybody to know about it. In the end, the courts might relieve you but you will go through the grief in the meantime. That is why I'm glad the high volume MSing is over for me. $2-3K here and there( to meet the minimum spending requirement) one can always justify and people will believe it. MS is such a greed, as long the opportunity is there, the greed will draw you into it. Once it is not there then you can't do it and is safe.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:53 am
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
I read about this a couple of days ago on some of the blogs. Apparently this particular cop has a bit of a history for OTT reactions which have led to past settlements paid out by the city.
I reckon this should prove a decent payday for the suspect + his legal team.
Old Feb 1, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by soy View Post
I read about this a couple of days ago on some of the blogs. Apparently this particular cop has a bit of a history for OTT reactions which have led to past settlements paid out by the city.
I reckon this should prove a decent payday for the suspect + his legal team.

talk about manufactured spending!
Old Feb 1, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: All of them
The suspect probably panicked when asked out of nowhere, why so many GCs.

Reminds me of an old Simpsons scene:
Old Feb 2, 18, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post
When you are buying thousands of dollars of Gift cards continuously for quite some time. You are lucky if nothing happened to you. You don't have to do anything wrong, it all depends on the interpretation and perception because it is not easy to justify why you buy so many gift cards. And remember you don't expect everybody to know about it. In the end, the courts might relieve you but you will go through the grief in the meantime. That is why I'm glad the high volume MSing is over for me. $2-3K here and there( to meet the minimum spending requirement) one can always justify and people will believe it. MS is such a greed, as long the opportunity is there, the greed will draw you into it. Once it is not there then you can't do it and is safe.
Its extremely easy to explain to a cop that you bought gift cards to get credit card points. What, you think that if you get asked by a cop that you should hide your true intentions like you do with your cashiers? How dumb would that be. See you in 20 years...

Search this Thread