Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
The thread for posts before 2018 is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...ffice-max.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 16, 18, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl View Post

How can you unload 16 SEs in 2 transactions? If each SE is (the max) $200 it can be unloaded in 4 transactions (4 times $800). WM allows only 4 swipes per transaction.
Sorry, got the $ value and # of cards mixed up, it was 8 cards, $1600.

I thought I would be spending $1600 in restaurants! LOL!
Old Mar 17, 18, 2:10 pm

Did anyone else have more trouble this time around? One of usually very friendly stores told me that LP calls the store immediately after someone uses the same card for a second transaction. They would let me do multiple but it had to be using different credit cards.
Old Mar 17, 18, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999 View Post
Did anyone else have more trouble this time around? One of usually very friendly stores told me that LP calls the store immediately after someone uses the same card for a second transaction. They would let me do multiple but it had to be using different credit cards.
I used 2 cards for 4 transactions each yesterday.

I alternated between the 2 cards.
Old Mar 17, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
in Indy metro, they were selling as much as requested with no restrictions on payment method. One store told me a whale just came through and bought $20k worth and all they had left were 6 DE cards.
Old Mar 17, 18, 9:12 pm

some stores enforced the rule of one offer per day. Some stores allowed multiple transactions back to back on the same card. I was able to pick up a large amount durning the promo the course.

at one store I was at an employee mentioned someone purchased 10k in one day.

Last edited by briang191; Mar 17, 18 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 17, 18, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

I only did one transaction per day, except one day. That time, I did one transaction first thing in the morning and another around 7 PM, so it was a different shift. Have only seen one idio...person...doing multiple transactions at this store, and I hope it stays that way.
Old Mar 18, 18, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
I only did one transaction per day, except one day. That time, I did one transaction first thing in the morning and another around 7 PM, so it was a different shift. Have only seen one idio...person...doing multiple transactions at this store, and I hope it stays that way.
I have a standard, well-practiced routine. I buy 2 x $200 VGC's. As the clerk rings up the transaction, I say, "Oh, gosh, it looks like these are on sale this week. Perhaps I should buy a few more." The clerks always respond, "Great, no problem." If they offer to add them to the initial transaction, I just say, "I don't want to hold up the other customers; I'll just get in line again."

It works like a charm. Six times last week.
Zgirl, oopl and TyPo311 like this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
I have a standard, well-practiced routine. I buy 2 x $200 VGC's. As the clerk rings up the transaction, I say, "Oh, gosh, it looks like these are on sale this week. Perhaps I should buy a few more." The clerks always respond, "Great, no problem." If they offer to add them to the initial transaction, I just say, "I don't want to hold up the other customers; I'll just get in line again."

Exactly my schtick.

Even with feigned surprise, the cashiers at my store always buy it.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 12:07 pm

a cashier said the limit is $1.2K per day...lol, some made up their own rules as they go, but eh, still better than 1 set
Old Mar 18, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post

Only works if there are other customers in the store, let alone in the line
My OMs are vast waste-lands of retail shopping. However, I was able to get the clerk to allow me to double dip twice last week. Otherwise my OMs are sticklers for the rules.
Old Mar 18, 18, 2:53 pm
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Per DoC, rules are changing so you no longer earn rewards on gift cards.
Old Mar 18, 18, 3:01 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by soy View Post
Per DoC, rules are changing so you no longer earn rewards on gift cards.
it was 2% capped at $200 per quarter. Not too big of a deal haha
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by devastitis View Post

it was 2% capped at $200 per quarter. Not too big of a deal haha
thats $4, itís a joke even talking about it.
Old Mar 19, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by cashcyclone View Post

thats $4, itís a joke even talking about it.
Given the amount of regular retail business I saw occurring in my 2 OMs last week, I think that they need every dollar they can spare
Old Mar 19, 18, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Store specific, even the stores are in the same town.
I have stores that would do as many transactions as my cards can handle, and they dont bother to check ID because they remember me from previous promos over the years. They told me to open the cabinet myself to look for the GE cards I prefer. (None found but plenty of DE though.). They know the promotion only runs a few times a year and that is when I would visit them. lol.
Meanwhile I also have stores that are limited to 2 transactions, and they look at ID. Plus one store is adamant it has to be debit / cash only. Luckily that one is quite far away. I only found out their policy last X'mas when happened to be in that area for something else.
When the discount was much higher, stores often ran out of stock. With the very meh $10 discount, I only went to the closest and also the easiest store(s) when they were conveniently en route for other errands. Lots and lots of SE + DE at every store. Recycling this denomination is too time consuming thus with only $10 discount it is not worth extra efforts.

Search this Thread