Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
The thread for posts before 2018 is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...ffice-max.html
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 23, 18, 10:18 pm
  #451  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,543
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
OD is now giving a free Google Home Mini for spending $150. Some people are getting them with gift card purchases, some are being told gc don't count. Stacks with $10 off.
Thanks for the alert. This sale was supposed to end at noon, but the cash registers were giving out 100% rebates on these Mini's through the end of the day. I picked up several of them, even though have no personal interest in using them. They might come useful as gifts.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:11 pm
  #452  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 306
$20 off $150 in Happy Cards, expires 12/01

The ad shows the variable $20 - $500 Happy cards, so unlike Staples you shouldn't have to put up with just $25 cards
Klemhuzzah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:39 pm
  #453  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 306
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
$20 off $150 in Happy Cards, expires 12/01

The ad shows the variable $20 - $500 Happy cards, so unlike Staples you shouldn't have to put up with just $25 cards
FYI, 3 different versions (Happy Lady, Happy Bride, and I forget the other) work at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. BB&B is having a special until Tuesday, buy a $200 mastercard, get a $25 BB&B gift card, limit 2 (mail-in rebate). The fee on the $200 card is $6.95. So the play would be this - buy a Happy Lady for $413.90 (2x$200+2x$6.95), get 5x INK & $20 discount. Go to BB&B, buy 2x$200 mastercards, get $50 in BB&B gift cards. Liquidate the mastercards. Resell the BB&B gc for about $42 ($21 each). Profit ~$45.

Alas, I've heard that BBB is less likely to let you buy mastercards with Happy cards than Home Depot is. So be prepared not to be able to liquidate so easy. Plan accordingly.

I've also heard that last year, some people had trouble getting the 2 rebates for buying 2 cards in the same transaction. Better off buying the 2 mastercards in 2 separate transactions if you want to play it safe. Limit 2 on the BBB gc, I don't know how they track it.
Hb1500 likes this.
Klemhuzzah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:45 pm
  #454  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 1,676
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
FYI, 3 different versions (Happy Lady, Happy Bride, and I forget the other) work at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. BB&B is having a special until Tuesday, buy a $200 mastercard, get a $25 BB&B gift card, limit 2 (mail-in rebate). The fee on the $200 card is $6.95. So the play would be this - buy a Happy Lady for $413.90 (2x$200+2x$6.95), get 5x INK & $20 discount. Go to BB&B, buy 2x$200 mastercards, get $50 in BB&B gift cards. Liquidate the mastercards. Resell the BB&B gc for about $42 ($21 each). Profit ~$45.

Alas, I've heard that BBB is less likely to let you buy mastercards with Happy cards than Home Depot is. So be prepared not to be able to liquidate so easy. Plan accordingly.

I've also heard that last year, some people had trouble getting the 2 rebates for buying 2 cards in the same transaction. Better off buying the 2 mastercards in 2 separate transactions if you want to play it safe. Limit 2 on the BBB gc, I don't know how they track it.
So much micro-management. There is no OD/OM close to me. So skip this one...
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:04 am
  #455  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 112
Does online purchases of vgc work for 5pts with ink and does it work with ebates?

Last edited by bluegatorade; Dec 3, 18 at 10:10 am
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 1:26 pm
  #456  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,543
I got some in-store credits from ebates. But a few months ago, they locked me out of my own account, and stopped sending payments. In response to my inquiries, they just write that they're working on it, while nothing happens.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:21 pm
  #457  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,804
Yes, it works for 5x with Ink.
Steve in Olympia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:11 am
  #458  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 112
It seems like one can buy variable ones online with cc... is this coded as cash advance or regular transaction?
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:57 am
  #459  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 338
Originally Posted by bluegatorade View Post
It seems like one can buy variable ones online with cc... is this coded as cash advance or regular transaction?
you mean officedepot.com?
misterno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:30 am
  #460  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
you mean officedepot.com?
yes
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:56 pm
  #461  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
you mean officedepot.com?
Officedepot.com sells their visa cards through GCM. Getting 5x there with Ink is very unlikely, but let us know how it goes. Staples.com sells 300's but the fee is steep for regular MS.
noassumptions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:38 pm
  #462  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC/WAS
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by noassumptions View Post
Officedepot.com sells their visa cards through GCM. Getting 5x there with Ink is very unlikely, but let us know how it goes. Staples.com sells 300's but the fee is steep for regular MS.
Just bought the $300 on Staples. Do we know if store-specific gift cards from OM/OD/Staples would work?
bluegatorade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 11:45 am
  #463  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago Burbs
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 212
$10 off $300 at OD this week. Fee was $6.95 for US Bank MCs at the store I went to, not my usual store.

For those with room on their Ink cards or Chase offers, enjoy.


AzLarry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 11:55 am
  #464  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,781
Damn - MasterCards. :/ I was hoping for Visas.
Happy and Steve in Olympia like this.
nwflyboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 5:24 pm
  #465  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,665
Went to pick up an order and saw signs up $15 off $300 Visa Giftcards from 12/16 thru 12/22. Store had several rows of GE, DE, SE, ME. No issue draining them to reloadable prepaids and MOs at NM and supercenter nearby.
dealhunter32 and msp3 like this.
Mamibear is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread