Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2018-19)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 3, 18, 11:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
The thread for posts before 2018 is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...ffice-max.html
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 18, 11:45 am

Just noticed a very alarming development on my AmEx SimplyCash activity online. The charges from 2 days ago from the former OFFICEMAX stores posted under the category "Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores". The other OD stores that did not have "officemax" in their name posted as usual under the "Business Services - Office Suplies" category. It's too early to definitively state that the OM charges would not get the 5% rebate, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:14 pm

On the other side, both Discover and Chase Freedom are paying 5% for wholesale stores this quarter.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
On the other side, both Discover and Chase Freedom are paying 5% for wholesale stores this quarter.

Hope it works out for you.
Is the category date (L3?) the same with all CC companies? AmEx, Chase and Discover etc?
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar View Post
do they also provide level 3 to Chase (Ink)?
Wouldn't matter, Chase doesn't care about MS.
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Is the category date (L3?) the same with all CC companies? AmEx, Chase and Discover etc?
Usually, but not always. But in this case, the guy found an OD that is classified as a warehouse store, but it's only for that particular OD. The other ODs in his area classify as office supply stores like they do everywhere else.
Old Nov 20, 18, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah View Post
... the guy found an OD that is classified as a warehouse store, but it's only for that particular OD. The other ODs in his area classify as office supply stores like they do everywhere else.
Not quite. All OD stores with store numbers consisting of 2 or 3 digits, excluding leading zeros, were coded without changes as "Office Supply".
All OD stores with store numbers consisting of 4 digits, excluding leading zeros, were coded as "Wholesale Stores". Those are the former OfficeMax stores.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Not quite. All OD stores with store numbers consisting of 2 or 3 digits, excluding leading zeros, were coded without changes as "Office Supply".
All OD stores with store numbers consisting of 4 digits, excluding leading zeros, were coded as "Wholesale Stores". Those are the former OfficeMax stores.
That's cool to know. And they tell you the store number right there on their find-a-store page. I may have to try a 4-digit store and see if I can get 5% back on my Discover card. Although checking it, I see the 5% is for wholesale "clubs" not "stores", so I don't hold out much hope.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:59 am

If you google a store address (or perhaps some other identifying data), one or more of the search results will contain the store number.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
So this means 4-digit OM locations code as wholesale for
Freedom 5x Q4 bonus? Is this proven?
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
The above DP was specifically for AmEx.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
My local Officemax has a 4 digit store ID and codes as office supply on my Ink Cash card.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 5:40 am

Just noticed a very alarming development on my AmEx SimplyCash activity online. The charges from 2 days ago from the former OFFICEMAX stores posted under the category "Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores". The other OD stores that did not have "officemax" in their name posted as usual under the "Business Services - Office Suplies" category. It's too early to definitively state that the OM charges would not get the 5% rebate, but I'm not optimistic.
Update: Detailed charge info for that date is now available on the "Preview New Version" website. OD and OM continue to be listed under different categories -- Merchandise & Supplies vs. Business Services. However, both categories on the preview site have the "US Office Supply Store" subcategory. So here the OM and OD purchases are both marked to earn 5%.
The current AmEx website version continues to list OM purchases under the wrong subcategory. Apparently it's a programming error with the current website version. I hope it will have no effect on the eventual rebate amount.
Old Nov 23, 18, 12:04 pm

Two more days left for the sale. some stores have a decent amount of stock. Good luck to all those that are still buying.
Old Nov 23, 18, 3:58 pm

OD is now giving a free Google Home Mini for spending $150. Some people are getting them with gift card purchases, some are being told gc don't count. Stacks with $10 off.
Old Nov 23, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is it possible to split tender or use multiple credit cards to purchase VGCs at OD/OM? I tried to split with a few Chase cards with the 10% back up to $100 in the app, but the [seemingly knowledgeable] cashier said that is isn't possible anymore. He seemed to understand what I wanted to do but said they don't have that option on the register anymore.

Search this Thread