Dynamics Wallet Card

Old Jan 21, 18, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Dynamics Wallet Card

At CES 2018, card manufacturer Dynamics Inc. launched Wallet Card, a new digital universal Visa-branded card product slated to debut later this year.

Wallet Card can hold debit, credit, prepaid, one-time use, loyalty, and other types of cards, and can be used at any terminal that accepts magnetic stripe, chip, or contactless payments. At the same time, Dynamics launched the Wallet Card consortium, a group with members including Visa, Mastercard, JCB, Emirates NBD, and CIBC.

As you toggle through the stored cards, the Mag Stripe, EMV Chip, and the NFC wallet are all overwritten with the new data. Although Visa-branded, MasterCard also recently invested $70 million during the last round.

Credit card, debit card and coupon in one? Dynamics Inc. unveils its smart Wallet Card Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dynamics' Wallet Card could have niche appeal - Business Insider
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:50 am

Questions

My questions so far:
1. How will be credit/debit/other cards added to the Wallet Card?
2. Can I have cards from different networks (MC, VISA, AMEX,...) mixed in Wallet Card?
3. No charging needed for product life, understood correct?
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laco2000 View Post
1. How will be credit/debit/other cards added to the Wallet Card?
Bank cards will be downloaded via the onboard cell chip. This also allows them to give you a whole new card on the spot if there is suspected fraud. The prepaid, one-time, and other cards would be added manually.

2. Can I have cards from different networks (MC, VISA, AMEX,...) mixed in Wallet Card?
Yep.

3. No charging needed for product life, understood correct?
They have some proprietary method of self-recharging. No charging by the consumer required.
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:59 pm

None of the previous attempts ever panned out, but maybe this one will defy the odds
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stoughton View Post
None of the previous attempts ever panned out, but maybe this one will defy the odds
My initial reaction was, here we go again. But when they have Visa, MasterCard, and hundreds of millions of the big boys money behind them, assuming the tech is solid, By Jove I Think They've Got It !
Old Jan 23, 18, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Hbax View Post
Bank cards will be downloaded via the onboard cell chip. This also allows them to give you a whole new card on the spot if there is suspected fraud. The prepaid, one-time, and other cards would be added manually.
As far as I know, none of the prepaids work with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay, so the only way this could work is by copying the magstripe from original card. Magstripe data contains Gift Card for the name of most cards.

Still will be no good for stores that can see the name on terminal no matter what the card says.
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Obviously nobody knows, but if it will accept one-time-use cards, there has to be the ability for manual input. We'll see.
Old Jan 26, 18, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by laco2000 View Post
I could have sworn I read something about it only being allowed to have cards from one network at a time but I can't seem to find that article now.

In any event, I signed up for updates. I'd still be hesitant to spend $50+ until it's been out a while though.
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:15 am
inY

Originally Posted by Hbax View Post
They have some proprietary method of self-recharging. No charging by the consumer required.
Self-recharging?! Unless it's mooching power from terminals, but there isn't much contact time.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inY View Post
Self-recharging?! Unless it's mooching power from terminals, but there isn't much contact time.
They were specifically asked abut that. They said it was proprietary, but it never needed to be recharged.