FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Dynamics Wallet Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1889685-dynamics-wallet-card.html)

Hbax Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Dynamics Wallet Card

At CES 2018, card manufacturer Dynamics Inc. launched Wallet Card, a new digital universal Visa-branded card product slated to debut later this year.

Wallet Card can hold debit, credit, prepaid, one-time use, loyalty, and other types of cards, and can be used at any terminal that accepts magnetic stripe, chip, or contactless payments. At the same time, Dynamics launched the Wallet Card consortium, a group with members including Visa, Mastercard, JCB, Emirates NBD, and CIBC.

As you toggle through the stored cards, the Mag Stripe, EMV Chip, and the NFC wallet are all overwritten with the new data. Although Visa-branded, MasterCard also recently invested $70 million during the last round.

Credit card, debit card and coupon in one? Dynamics Inc. unveils its smart Wallet Card Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dynamics' Wallet Card could have niche appeal - Business Insider

laco2000 Jan 22, 2018 3:50 am

Questions

My questions so far:
1. How will be credit/debit/other cards added to the Wallet Card?
2. Can I have cards from different networks (MC, VISA, AMEX,...) mixed in Wallet Card?
3. No charging needed for product life, understood correct?

Hbax Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by laco2000 (Post 29323588)
1. How will be credit/debit/other cards added to the Wallet Card?

Bank cards will be downloaded via the onboard cell chip. This also allows them to give you a whole new card on the spot if there is suspected fraud. The prepaid, one-time, and other cards would be added manually.

2. Can I have cards from different networks (MC, VISA, AMEX,...) mixed in Wallet Card?
Yep.

3. No charging needed for product life, understood correct?
They have some proprietary method of self-recharging. No charging by the consumer required.

Stoughton Jan 22, 2018 3:59 pm

None of the previous attempts ever panned out, but maybe this one will defy the odds

Hbax Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 29326253)
None of the previous attempts ever panned out, but maybe this one will defy the odds

My initial reaction was, here we go again. But when they have Visa, MasterCard, and hundreds of millions of the big boys money behind them, assuming the tech is solid, By Jove I Think They've Got It !

lumangoy Jan 23, 2018 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Hbax (Post 29325538)
Bank cards will be downloaded via the onboard cell chip. This also allows them to give you a whole new card on the spot if there is suspected fraud. The prepaid, one-time, and other cards would be added manually.

As far as I know, none of the prepaids work with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay, so the only way this could work is by copying the magstripe from original card. Magstripe data contains Gift Card for the name of most cards.

Still will be no good for stores that can see the name on terminal no matter what the card says.

Hbax Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

Obviously nobody knows, but if it will accept one-time-use cards, there has to be the ability for manual input. We'll see.

tmiw Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by laco2000 (Post 29323588)

I could have sworn I read something about it only being allowed to have cards from one network at a time but I can't seem to find that article now.

In any event, I signed up for updates. I'd still be hesitant to spend $50+ until it's been out a while though.

inY Jan 27, 2018 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Hbax (Post 29325538)
They have some proprietary method of self-recharging. No charging by the consumer required.

Self-recharging?! Unless it's mooching power from terminals, but there isn't much contact time.

Hbax Jan 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by inY (Post 29345463)
Self-recharging?! Unless it's mooching power from terminals, but there isn't much contact time.

They were specifically asked abut that. They said it was proprietary, but it never needed to be recharged.