Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
THIS IS A NEW THREAD FOR 2018. The previous thread is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***



Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

You can earn gas points from both regular grocery shopping and gift card purchases (promotion only).

The grocery reward points (Go Rewards or Flexible Reward) can be transferred to either gas points (Fuel Rewards) or grocery points. The conversion rate is 100 points = $0.10/gallon or 100 points = $1 saving in grocery.

- - - - - - - - - -

Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behavior if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
S&S Promotion History

3/3/2017: 2x V
5/26/2017: 2x V
6/23/2017: 2x MC
7/14/2017: 3x V
9/1/2017: 4x MC
10/13/2017: 2x V and MC
12/1/2017: 2x V and MC
3/16/2018: 2x MC
4/6/2018: 3x V
5/18/2018: 2x MC
5/25/2018: 2x V
6/1/2018: 2x MC
6/29/2018: 2x V
7/13/2018: 2x V
8/31/2018: 2x MC
10/5/2018: 3x MC
10/12/2018: 3x V
11/2/2018: 2x MC
11/30/2018: 2x V

3/15/2019: 3x V
4/5/2019: 2x MC
5/17/2019: 3x V
5/31/2019: 3x MC
6/28/2019: 3x MC Have a safe and happy Fourth!
7/12/2019: 3x Visa
8/23/2019: 2x MC
10/4/2019: 2x MC
10/11/2019: 3x V
11/19/2019: 2x MC
11/29/2019: 3x MC
3/13/2020: 3x V
3/27/2020: 2x MC
5/15/2020: 3x V

5/29/2020: 2x MC
6/5/2020: 3x V
6/26/2020: 2x MC
7/10/2020: 3x V
8/21/2020: 2x MC
10/2/2020: 2x MC
10/16/2020: 3x V
10/30/2020: 2x MC

11/27/2020: 3x V
12/11/2020: 4x V

3/12/2021: 3x V
4/9/2021: 3x MC
5/14/2021: 3x V
5/28/2021: 3x MC
6/4/2021: 3x V
7/2/2021: 3x MC
7/23/2021: 3x V
8/27/2021: 3x MC
10/8/2021: 3x MC
10/22/2021: 3x V
10/29/2021: 3x MC
11/2021 thru 8/2023 (aka the terrible drought)
9/15/2023: 2x VVGC
11/24/2023: 3x VGC
12/8/2023: 3x VGC

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work, and are correctly priced in the Fuel Rewards App

Alabama
Florida (at least some Miami stations limit discount to $1, not correctly shown in app)
Georgia
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Montana (very limited stations displayed)
New Hampshire
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania (eastern)
Texas (only some cities, not Dallas)
Vermont

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work at SOME stations, but are NOT shown in the Fuel Rewards App

Delaware (many stations)
Maryland (some stations)
Virginia (some stations)
Minnesota (widespread participation -- likely due to it being Hy-Vee territory)
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington state (perhaps only eastern WA)

List of States with No Known Giant/S&S gas points redemption options

Arizona
Alaska ("Three Bears" Shells used to work, but don't anymore. It might be worth trying the few other Shell stations, but the odds aren't good)
California -- southern (may work in far north California)
Colorado
New Mexico
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming



Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:08 am
  #661  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: IAD
Posts: 60
8x Best Buy and Spa Finder next week.
zoob27 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:19 am
  #662  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 465
Originally Posted by zoob27
8x Best Buy and Spa Finder next week.
Seems to be a loss though when reselled
ChuckMango is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:05 am
  #663  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: IAD
Posts: 60
10x Google Play and Ruby Tuesday next week.

And yeah, I wouldn't try to resell either - just throwing it out as an FYI.
zoob27 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:32 am
  #664  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by zoob27
10x Google Play and Ruby Tuesday next week.

And yeah, I wouldn't try to resell either - just throwing it out as an FYI.
pair RT wid kidz ate phree.. 💣 💣 💣
Chelski is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:18 pm
  #665  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,503
So after having success using my Giant MD gas rewards in such diverse places as Alaska, Florida, Louisiana and Vermont, I was surprised not to be able to take $1.50 off my Shell gas purchase in Charlottesville, VA. Giant MD even has a store in Charlottesville! I just did a search of the terms and conditions, and found that this store doesn't participate in the program.

This got me to looking more carefully at the Fuel Rewards website. It does seem like you can generally tell which gas stations will accept your extra $1.50 Giant discount, as it lists your personal price:

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/locations

Honestly, I can't really understand why some regions work and some don't. It seems pretty random, but must have something to do with local marketing efforts. If you'll be visiting an area and what to see if your points will work, you pretty much have to go to this website and look. This is a pretty valuable tool, as it sure beats just showing up at a station and hoping you get the discount. In the case of Charlottesville, if you travel 35 miles north to Culpeper, VA, there is a participating station, so it can certainly be a good idea to plan ahead.

BTW, even if your Giant points don't work, all OTHER Fuel Rewards discounts you do have WILL work.
golfr likes this.
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:03 pm
  #666  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/NYC/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,755
tmobile customers: 25 cents off shell in the tmobile tuesdays app today. pairs nicely with the upcoming expiration dates of points from the last mc promo.
riphamilton is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:50 am
  #667  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: Delta DM
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by iahphx
So after having success using my Giant MD gas rewards in such diverse places as Alaska, Florida, Louisiana and Vermont, I was surprised not to be able to take $1.50 off my Shell gas purchase in Charlottesville, VA. Giant MD even has a store in Charlottesville! I just did a search of the terms and conditions, and found that this store doesn't participate in the program.

This got me to looking more carefully at the Fuel Rewards website. It does seem like you can generally tell which gas stations will accept your extra $1.50 Giant discount, as it lists your personal price:

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/locations

Honestly, I can't really understand why some regions work and some don't. It seems pretty random, but must have something to do with local marketing efforts. If you'll be visiting an area and what to see if your points will work, you pretty much have to go to this website and look. This is a pretty valuable tool, as it sure beats just showing up at a station and hoping you get the discount. In the case of Charlottesville, if you travel 35 miles north to Culpeper, VA, there is a participating station, so it can certainly be a good idea to plan ahead.

BTW, even if your Giant points don't work, all OTHER Fuel Rewards discounts you do have WILL work.
this is a really useful feature. thanks!
golfr is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:42 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by iahphx
So after having success using my Giant MD gas rewards in such diverse places as Alaska, Florida, Louisiana and Vermont, I was surprised not to be able to take $1.50 off my Shell gas purchase in Charlottesville, VA. Giant MD even has a store in Charlottesville! I just did a search of the terms and conditions, and found that this store doesn't participate in the program.

This got me to looking more carefully at the Fuel Rewards website. It does seem like you can generally tell which gas stations will accept your extra $1.50 Giant discount, as it lists your personal price:

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/locations

Honestly, I can't really understand why some regions work and some don't. It seems pretty random, but must have something to do with local marketing efforts. If you'll be visiting an area and what to see if your points will work, you pretty much have to go to this website and look. This is a pretty valuable tool, as it sure beats just showing up at a station and hoping you get the discount. In the case of Charlottesville, if you travel 35 miles north to Culpeper, VA, there is a participating station, so it can certainly be a good idea to plan ahead.

BTW, even if your Giant points don't work, all OTHER Fuel Rewards discounts you do have WILL work.
there is also the FR app. Some stations don’t work with phone but work with scanning FR card. Some show discount but then shut off when you try to select a grade
Chelski is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:13 pm
  #669  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,503
Originally Posted by Chelski

there is also the FR app. Some stations don’t work with phone but work with scanning FR card. Some show discount but then shut off when you try to select a grade
Interesting. Other than showing up, is there any way to tell whether an otherwise non-participating station will "work" if you scan your FR card? I assume these are stations beyond what shows up on the regular Fuel Rewards website?

I guess if you just buy gas in your hometown this doesn't matter, but if you want to use your points "on the road" it's hugely helpful to know where you can, and can not.
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:36 pm
  #670  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,727
2x 10/5
Chelski is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:14 pm
  #671  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: MR, TYP
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Chelski
2x 10/5
what 2x? Visa or Mastercard or Something else?
Dumtsing is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:06 pm
  #672  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by Chelski
2x 10/5
Originally Posted by Dumtsing
what 2x? Visa or Mastercard or Something else?
It's 3x, and it's Mastercards

Last edited by cyberkost; Sep 29, 2018 at 10:12 pm
cyberkost is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:50 pm
  #673  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: MR, TYP
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by cyberkost
It's 3x, and it's Mastercards
Wow, good to know. My point balance is just one fill left.
Dumtsing is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:28 am
  #674  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,503
Originally Posted by Dumtsing
Wow, good to know. My point balance is just one fill left.
This is definitely good timing since it's about a month since the last promo. For what it's worth, I use both the Giant MD and the Giant PA promos. The Giant PA program is currently much better because you get more gas, you can get it totally free, and you get to the end of the following calendar month. It's much harder to figure out how much gas you'll need in 30 days vs. almost 2 months.

FWIW, I'm headed out to the Southwest next month and, when I pull up stations in the FR locator function, I see no opportunities to use Giant MD points in the FR program there. It's a shame, because gas in SoCal is almost 4 bucks/gallon. Has anyone had recent success in California, Nevada or Arizona?
iahphx is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:04 am
  #675  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,756
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is definitely good timing since it's about a month since the last promo. For what it's worth, I use both the Giant MD and the Giant PA promos. The Giant PA program is currently much better because you get more gas, you can get it totally free, and you get to the end of the following calendar month. It's much harder to figure out how much gas you'll need in 30 days vs. almost 2 months.

FWIW, I'm headed out to the Southwest next month and, when I pull up stations in the FR locator function, I see no opportunities to use Giant MD points in the FR program there. It's a shame, because gas in SoCal is almost 4 bucks/gallon. Has anyone had recent success in California, Nevada or Arizona?
LAX areas doesn't work but SFO areas does.
yoyo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.