FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887866-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2018-24-a.html)

karenfly Dec 8, 2023 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by lmagnott (Post 35806841)
Might just be an individual store policy. I bought $1500 this morning and 4500 points have already posted to my account.

That is good to know, I will try different store. Thanks

fly2fish Dec 8, 2023 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by karenfly (Post 35804467)
Does anyone know how to find the gas points expiration date? The old rule is 30 days after redeemed and the expiration date was listed in the app. Now I couldn’t find when gas points will expire after redeemed. Thanks

I can't figure out how to see it in the app, but online, click on "Details" under gas or grocery points.

yoyo Dec 9, 2023 9:39 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 35806846)
Apologies for losing track, but -- Can Vanilla GCs be used to purchase MOs at places other than WM?

I tried secure spend yesterday in a WM in the south florida area for a $498 MO and it was a no go. bought stuff online instead.

fly2fish Dec 9, 2023 10:42 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 35806846)
Apologies for losing track, but -- Can Vanilla GCs be used to purchase MOs at places other than WM?

Yes.

crazypaving Dec 10, 2023 1:33 pm

does buying visa at Giant MD in DE give 3x on fees? I just got points on face value but jot on the fees!

needtoescape Dec 10, 2023 1:53 pm

No, points are not earned on purchase fees.

crazypaving Dec 10, 2023 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by needtoescape (Post 35811490)

thanks

cruisr Dec 12, 2023 1:00 pm

In NJ two I bought both compromised and one was 12/32 expiration. Security code completely wiped off. i used it immediately online to make a purchase for almost the $500 but left a bit on for an experiment. Went to a coffee shop, tried to use it and would not swipe. tried 3 times. Just went online and drained the small amount left.

On the other card (12/31 expiration) two of the digits of the card number on the front were scratched off, Figured the first number out then by process of elimination figured the complete number. Had not been drained but also looks like the mag strip is funky. Started process for card replacement as I immediately went online and froze the card. Responses from phone CSRs indicate lots of phone calls about fraud.

balwx Dec 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 35817108)
In NJ two I bought both compromised and one was 12/32 expiration. Security code completely wiped off. i used it immediately online to make a purchase for almost the $500 but left a bit on for an experiment. Went to a coffee shop, tried to use it and would not swipe. tried 3 times. Just went online and drained the small amount left.

On the other card (12/31 expiration) two of the digits of the card number on the front were scratched off, Figured the first number out then by process of elimination figured the complete number. Had not been drained but also looks like the mag strip is funky. Started process for card replacement as I immediately went online and froze the card. Responses from phone CSRs indicate lots of phone calls about fraud.

Thanks for the recon.

Rooks Dec 12, 2023 2:41 pm

This is for Giant PA. During the promotion two weeks ago, I bought $1,500 at two different places on the first Friday of the promo. Points posted no problem. Bought more several other days and I got 18 points per transaction and the Customer Service rep had to manually enter the points. One of them screwed up and didn't credit me enough, I called a few days later to inquire and my issue was submitted and I got a call back later that day that the limit was $2,000 and I should not have received any points after that. I accepted what she said but was not sure if that was her interpretation of the rules or if that is actually the rule and the register is hard coded to reflect that.

I bought $1,500 VGC at two different places on Saturday and the points again posted with no issue. On Sunday, I got 18 points again and the CSR had to manually post them. So I think the woman whom I spoke to on the phone may have been correct and I suspect that the only reason I got points on the second $1,500 transaction on the first day is because I was under the limit before the purchase so it did not restrict me. but for any subsequent transactions i was over the limit and it restricted me.

zzrayzz Dec 12, 2023 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 35817108)

I'm in NYC, had bought 2 compromised $500vgc a few months ago. Both had the security code scratched off. Couldnt even check the balance/activate it, or use online because no security code? But I went back to store next morning, and the guest services lady just loaded 2 new $500 vgc.

how do you use it online if the security code was wiped off?

definitely need to examine the packaging very closely nowadays. too easy to fall for these traps unfortunately.

Bigzamboni Dec 13, 2023 8:47 am

Originally Posted by needtoescape (Post 35811490)

At least at Giant-PA, the fees have been earning 1x on the last couple promotions.

balwx Dec 13, 2023 4:36 pm

Local SS in central NJ, all VGC removed from the endcap. I've never seen them all wiped out before so maybe they are behind the customer service desk. I didn't have time for additional recon...

mind Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm

What constitutes as household--merely same address or whether Family Sharing of points is enabled? I was pretty sure it's per card but needed to get points manually added on the third purchase for a rewards card that had not been used for the promo (Family Sharing enabled, but it was enabled in the past as well and pretty sure I had no problems then). Of course the goal is to avoid manual adjustments.

zeppoloveskafka Dec 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rooks (Post 35817356)
This is for Giant PA. During the promotion two weeks ago, I bought $1,500 at two different places on the first Friday of the promo. Points posted no problem. Bought more several other days and I got 18 points per transaction and the Customer Service rep had to manually enter the points. One of them screwed up and didn't credit me enough, I called a few days later to inquire and my issue was submitted and I got a call back later that day that the limit was $2,000 and I should not have received any points after that. I accepted what she said but was not sure if that was her interpretation of the rules or if that is actually the rule and the register is hard coded to reflect that.

I bought $1,500 VGC at two different places on Saturday and the points again posted with no issue. On Sunday, I got 18 points again and the CSR had to manually post them. So I think the woman whom I spoke to on the phone may have been correct and I suspect that the only reason I got points on the second $1,500 transaction on the first day is because I was under the limit before the purchase so it did not restrict me. but for any subsequent transactions i was over the limit and it restricted me.

I had a strange experience myself in Giant PA. Last promotion, I did a 1999+2000 no problem. Got ~6000 pts each time.
This promotion I did a 1999.99 and got 4x the points. The receipt showed 8028 if I recall.
Then today I did a 2000 and only got the 24 points for the fees. She did manually give me points.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I suppose if I got 8000 points from my first purchase, their system thought I had spent over 2K initially. That could be why my second purchase today didn't get points.