Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
THIS IS A NEW THREAD FOR 2018. The previous thread is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***



Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

You can earn gas points from both regular grocery shopping and gift card purchases (promotion only).

The grocery reward points (Go Rewards or Flexible Reward) can be transferred to either gas points (Fuel Rewards) or grocery points. The conversion rate is 100 points = $0.10/gallon or 100 points = $1 saving in grocery.

- - - - - - - - - -

Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behavior if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
S&S Promotion History

3/3/2017: 2x V
5/26/2017: 2x V
6/23/2017: 2x MC
7/14/2017: 3x V
9/1/2017: 4x MC
10/13/2017: 2x V and MC
12/1/2017: 2x V and MC
3/16/2018: 2x MC
4/6/2018: 3x V
5/18/2018: 2x MC
5/25/2018: 2x V
6/1/2018: 2x MC
6/29/2018: 2x V
7/13/2018: 2x V
8/31/2018: 2x MC
10/5/2018: 3x MC
10/12/2018: 3x V
11/2/2018: 2x MC
11/30/2018: 2x V

3/15/2019: 3x V
4/5/2019: 2x MC
5/17/2019: 3x V
5/31/2019: 3x MC
6/28/2019: 3x MC Have a safe and happy Fourth!
7/12/2019: 3x Visa
8/23/2019: 2x MC
10/4/2019: 2x MC
10/11/2019: 3x V
11/19/2019: 2x MC
11/29/2019: 3x MC
3/13/2020: 3x V
3/27/2020: 2x MC
5/15/2020: 3x V

5/29/2020: 2x MC
6/5/2020: 3x V
6/26/2020: 2x MC
7/10/2020: 3x V
8/21/2020: 2x MC
10/2/2020: 2x MC
10/16/2020: 3x V
10/30/2020: 2x MC

11/27/2020: 3x V
12/11/2020: 4x V

3/12/2021: 3x V
4/9/2021: 3x MC
5/14/2021: 3x V
5/28/2021: 3x MC
6/4/2021: 3x V
7/2/2021: 3x MC
7/23/2021: 3x V
8/27/2021: 3x MC
10/8/2021: 3x MC
10/22/2021: 3x V
10/29/2021: 3x MC
11/2021 thru 8/2023 (aka the terrible drought)
9/15/2023: 2x VVGC
11/24/2023: 3x VGC
12/8/2023: 3x VGC

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work, and are correctly priced in the Fuel Rewards App

Alabama
Florida (at least some Miami stations limit discount to $1, not correctly shown in app)
Georgia
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Montana (very limited stations displayed)
New Hampshire
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania (eastern)
Texas (only some cities, not Dallas)
Vermont

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work at SOME stations, but are NOT shown in the Fuel Rewards App

Delaware (many stations)
Maryland (some stations)
Virginia (some stations)
Minnesota (widespread participation -- likely due to it being Hy-Vee territory)
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington state (perhaps only eastern WA)

List of States with No Known Giant/S&S gas points redemption options

Arizona
Alaska ("Three Bears" Shells used to work, but don't anymore. It might be worth trying the few other Shell stations, but the odds aren't good)
California -- southern (may work in far north California)
Colorado
New Mexico
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming



Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:20 am
  #4591  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Picked up next weeks circular. Can confirm: 3X on VVGCs at S&Ss in NJ as well next week.
fly2fish is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:32 am
  #4592  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by fly2fish
Picked up next weeks circular. Can confirm: 3X on VVGCs at S&Ss in NJ as well next week.
Is it gonna be same for PA and MD?
crazypaving is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:59 am
  #4593  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by fly2fish
Picked up next weeks circular. Can confirm: 3X on VVGCs at S&Ss in NJ as well next week.
Thank you for the update. I'm still reeling from dealing with bad VGCs from the last sale. Hopefully my store has the newer Incomm packages.
JiGGiE is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:37 pm
  #4594  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by crazypaving
Is it gonna be same for PA and MD?
How could you possibly expect me to know this? Do you think I drove around to all three states picking up flyers? Besides, do they even have Stop & Shops in MD or PA?
fly2fish is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 2:48 pm
  #4595  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by JiGGiE
Thank you for the update. I'm still reeling from dealing with bad VGCs from the last sale. Hopefully my store has the newer Incomm packages.
What's does the new packaging look like ?
balwx is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:48 pm
  #4596  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by mind
Tried to register a GreenDot debit card purchased from the promo, says unable to verify my identity even though I double checked name and SSN is correct. Says I won't be sent a card with my name nor can I use it online but I can use it for in-person transactions. Cannot login either. However, I tried using it at a store entering last 4 digits of card # as pin and it was declined.

Any ideas? I realize GreenDot are not popular for a reason but I can't even use it for organic spend.
running into the same issue. Do you ever have this revolved ?
BWItraveller is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:25 pm
  #4597  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by fly2fish
How could you possibly expect me to know this? Do you think I drove around to all three states picking up flyers? Besides, do they even have Stop & Shops in MD or PA?
No need to be a d!ck. a simple yes/no/no idea would be a better answer.
crazypaving is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:17 pm
  #4598  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Posts: 211
Does anyone know how to find the gas points expiration date? The old rule is 30 days after redeemed and the expiration date was listed in the app. Now I couldn’t find when gas points will expire after redeemed. Thanks

Last edited by karenfly; Dec 7, 2023 at 9:35 pm
karenfly is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 5:26 am
  #4599  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by karenfly
Does anyone know how to find the gas points expiration date? The old rule is 30 days after redeemed and the expiration date was listed in the app. Now I couldn’t find when gas points will expire after redeemed. Thanks
For Stop & Shop at least, the new rule is that they expire the end of the month after you redeem them. So points redeemed any time in December will expire Jan. 31st. This is true for both gas and grocery points. Once redeemed, you can see the expiration date listed in the Fuel Rewards app or on stopandshop.com (my rewards --> see details) but not the S&S app, for some reason.
lmagnott is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:21 am
  #4600  
soy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: various
Posts: 3,762
Originally Posted by karenfly
Does anyone know how to find the gas points expiration date? The old rule is 30 days after redeemed and the expiration date was listed in the app. Now I couldn’t find when gas points will expire after redeemed. Thanks
Bigzamboni has a more accurate explanation of how it works, see post 4601
karenfly likes this.

Last edited by soy; Dec 8, 2023 at 12:59 pm
soy is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:11 am
  #4601  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by soy
They changed the rules, once you earn points you have 30 days to redeem them for gas or grocery before they expire. Once you redeem them they are valid to the last day of the following month

So if you earn 100 pts today, you could redeem them for gas on Jan 1 and would then have until Feb 28 to use them. So this is an improvement for sure
30 days to redeem after points were posted does not seem right from my experience. After purchase, I see point posted in app. Suppose points are posted today, The expiration date will be showed as 1/31/24, that means that I have until 1/31/24 to redeem. If I redeem on 1/31/24, then I have until 2/28/24 to use?
karenfly is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:23 am
  #4602  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EWR
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by soy
They changed the rules, once you earn points you have 30 days to redeem them for gas or grocery before they expire. Once you redeem them they are valid to the last day of the following month

So if you earn 100 pts today, you could redeem them for gas on Jan 1 and would then have until Feb 28 to use them. So this is an improvement for sure
Originally Posted by karenfly
30 days to redeem after points were posted does not seem right from my experience. After purchase, I see point posted in app. Suppose points are posted today, The expiration date will be showed as 1/31/24, that means that I have until 1/31/24 to redeem. If I redeem on 1/31/24, then I have until 2/28/24 to use?
Stop & Shop changed so that the points are valid until the end of the following month, much like Giant-PA. If you earn on December 1st, you have until January 31st to choose gas or food.. If you earn on December 31st, still only until January 31st. Then, once you have redeemed for gas or grocery dollars, you have until the end of the next month to redeem the rewards, so rewards chosen in January expire end of February.

Giant/Martin's works similar, but redemptions for gas can only be done until the end of the 2nd month. Redeemed grocery dollars will carry over to the end of the 3rd month.

Giant-MD did not adopt this expiration yet, so you get 30 days to choose and another 30 days to use. (Date you earn counts as day 1)

Also note that while S&S says points are redeemable until midnight on the expiration date, in practice my experience has been that if you try redeeming for grocery dollars after roughly 8 PM on the last day, the points bounce back and grocery dollars disappear after around 15 minutes. This happens at Giant/Martin's too. It was a real PITA getting CS to add them back even with screenshots showing I had redeemed and that they bounced back.
karenfly likes this.

Last edited by Bigzamboni; Dec 8, 2023 at 11:29 am
Bigzamboni is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:43 pm
  #4603  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Stop & Shop changed so that the points are valid until the end of the following month, much like Giant-PA. If you earn on December 1st, you have until January 31st to choose gas or food.. If you earn on December 31st, still only until January 31st. Then, once you have redeemed for gas or grocery dollars, you have until the end of the next month to redeem the rewards, so rewards chosen in January expire end of February.

Giant/Martin's works similar, but redemptions for gas can only be done until the end of the 2nd month. Redeemed grocery dollars will carry over to the end of the 3rd month.

Giant-MD did not adopt this expiration yet, so you get 30 days to choose and another 30 days to use. (Date you earn counts as day 1)

Also note that while S&S says points are redeemable until midnight on the expiration date, in practice my experience has been that if you try redeeming for grocery dollars after roughly 8 PM on the last day, the points bounce back and grocery dollars disappear after around 15 minutes. This happens at Giant/Martin's too. It was a real PITA getting CS to add them back even with screenshots showing I had redeemed and that they bounced back.
Got it. Thanks for explaining. On the second note, just came back from Stop and Shop, I was told the gift card limit is reduced to $1000 for the holiday season. I am not sure whether it means you won’t get points after $1000 or it is limited for one transaction. Like to hear others experience. Thanks!
karenfly is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:17 pm
  #4604  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by karenfly
Got it. Thanks for explaining. On the second note, just came back from Stop and Shop, I was told the gift card limit is reduced to $1000 for the holiday season. I am not sure whether it means you won’t get points after $1000 or it is limited for one transaction. Like to hear others experience. Thanks!
Might just be an individual store policy. I bought $1500 this morning and 4500 points have already posted to my account.
karenfly likes this.
lmagnott is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:22 pm
  #4605  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,322
Apologies for losing track, but -- Can Vanilla GCs be used to purchase MOs at places other than WM?
tuphat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.