Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
THIS IS A NEW THREAD FOR 2018. The previous thread is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

You can earn gas points from both regular grocery shopping and gift card purchases (promotion only).

The grocery reward points (Go Rewards or Flexible Reward) can be transferred to either gas points (Fuel Rewards) or grocery points. The conversion rate is 100 points = $0.10/gallon or 100 points = $1 saving in grocery.

- - - - - - - - - -

Additional Information

• A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

• The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

• S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

• Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

• Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

• You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

• It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

• Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

• If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behavior if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

• If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
S&S Promotion History

3/3/2017: 2x V
5/26/2017: 2x V
6/23/2017: 2x MC
7/14/2017: 3x V
9/1/2017: 4x MC
10/13/2017: 2x V and MC
12/1/2017: 2x V and MC
3/16/2018: 2x MC
4/6/2018: 3x V
5/18/2018: 2x MC
5/25/2018: 2x V
6/1/2018: 2x MC
6/29/2018: 2x V
7/13/2018: 2x V
8/31/2018: 2x MC
10/5/2018: 3x MC
10/12/2018: 3x V
11/2/2018: 2x MC
11/30/2018: 2x V

3/15/2019: 3x V
4/5/2019: 2x MC
5/17/2019: 3x V
5/31/2019: 3x MC
6/28/2019: 3x MC Have a safe and happy Fourth!
7/12/2019: 3x Visa
8/23/2019: 2x MC
10/4/2019: 2x MC
10/11/2019: 3x V
11/19/2019: 2x MC
11/29/2019: 3x MC
3/13/2020: 3x V
3/27/2020: 2x MC
5/15/2020: 3x V

5/29/2020: 2x MC
6/5/2020: 3x V
6/26/2020: 2x MC
7/10/2020: 3x V
8/21/2020: 2x MC
10/2/2020: 2x MC
10/16/2020: 3x V
10/30/2020: 2x MC

11/27/2020: 3x V
12/11/2020: 4x V

3/12/2021: 3x V
4/9/2021: 3x MC
5/14/2021: 3x V
5/28/2021: 3x MC
6/4/2021: 3x V
7/2/2021: 3x MC
7/23/2021: 3x V
8/27/2021: 3x MC
10/8/2021: 3x MC
10/22/2021: 3x V
10/29/2021: 3x MC
11/2021 thru 8/2023 (aka the terrible drought)
9/15/2023: 2x VVGC
11/24/2023: 3x VGC
12/8/2023: 3x VGC

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work, and are correctly priced in the Fuel Rewards App

Alabama
Florida (at least some Miami stations limit discount to $1, not correctly shown in app)
Georgia
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Montana (very limited stations displayed)
New Hampshire
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania (eastern)
Texas (only some cities, not Dallas)
Vermont

List of States and Cities Where Giant/S&S points work at SOME stations, but are NOT shown in the Fuel Rewards App

Delaware (many stations)
Maryland (some stations)
Virginia (some stations)
Minnesota (widespread participation -- likely due to it being Hy-Vee territory)
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington state (perhaps only eastern WA)

List of States with No Known Giant/S&S gas points redemption options

Arizona
Alaska ("Three Bears" Shells used to work, but don't anymore. It might be worth trying the few other Shell stations, but the odds aren't good)
California -- southern (may work in far north California)
Colorado
New Mexico
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming

Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
4/8 Giant MD: 4x on Apple, Applebees, Chipotle, Dominos, Fanatics, Lowes
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:11 pm

In case anyone was wondering, HGCs (Happy Moments, anyway) from Whole Foods are not able to be activated at S&S.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by centrifuge41
4/8 Giant MD: 4x on Apple, Applebees, Chipotle, Dominos, Fanatics, Lowes
Will they ever have another VGC/MGC promo?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
Will they ever have another VGC/MGC promo?
I think if anybody here knew for sure, they would say.

My best guess is that there is an issue with too much fraudulent activity buying these gift cards that they need to work out. Clearly these deals are profitable for them...that's why they exist. So hopefully they can work things out and they will return. However it's always possible that their working solution might be one we don't like.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I think if anybody here knew for sure, they would say.

My best guess is that there is an issue with too much fraudulent activity buying these gift cards that they need to work out. Clearly these deals are profitable for them...that's why they exist. So hopefully they can work things out and they will return. However it's always possible that their working solution might be one we don't like.
I am not sure if the VGC/MGC deal was profitable for the supermarket.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:23 pm
soy

Programs: various
agreed nothing to do with fraud, almost certainly a ROI based decision
cruisr likes this.

Last edited by soy; Apr 2, 2022 at 8:33 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by soy
agreed nothing to do with fraud, almost certainly a ROI based decision
It was clearly profitable for somebody in the sense that they kept pushing the deals over and over again, and pushed the amount from 2x to 3x.
I think it's fraud related due to the stores pulling cards, stores being more wary in general (my extremely chill store was asking more questions even though they knew me well), and reports of increased fraud.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
It was clearly profitable for somebody in the sense that they kept pushing the deals over and over again, and pushed the amount from 2x to 3x.
I think it's fraud related due to the stores pulling cards, stores being more wary in general (my extremely chill store was asking more questions even though they knew me well), and reports of increased fraud.
It could have been profitable for many reasons other than a ROI on selling GCs.

In retail, loss leaders are designed to suck people into a store where the more profitable items are displayed for impulse purchases

I suspect that most of the buyers on this thread were some of the most unprofitable customers markets had to deal with.

In times of high inflation, loss leaders become much less common since it is so hard for stores to keep the bottom line black when using them.
soy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
Stores pulling cards is specific to a couple of areas. For most of us, this did not happen
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Stores pulling cards is specific to a couple of areas. For most of us, this did not happen
I doubt it would take more than a few instances of fraud before Corporate was able to see a pattern. Any half decent company would not wait until fraud happened at every store before doing anything... Losing $2000 to $5000 dollars per incident probably propelled this up the chain pretty quick.

I can't imagine what point the Gift Card deals would have served as a loss leader. The only people buying them were doing it for MS, and it wasn't like some secret.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by the188
I doubt it would take more than a few instances of fraud before Corporate was able to see a pattern. Any half decent company would not wait until fraud happened at every store before doing anything... Losing $2000 to $5000 dollars per incident probably propelled this up the chain pretty quick.

I can't imagine what point the Gift Card deals would have served as a loss leader. The only people buying them were doing it for MS, and it wasn't like some secret.
I suspect many MS folks are overestimating our influence and what proportion we are of the total market. It's not super convenient to cash out. I live in a large area, and both on the buying and cashing out size, I see evidence that the stores I go to are not being frequented by too many other people... in fact I think it's likely I've been the only one getting MO at the two stores I most commonly frequent for years now.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:49 pm

It definitely seems strange that they upped the earnings to be 3x on every promotion last year. One might expect them to go back down to 2xor even see if people bought them at 1x before cutting it off completely after, what, 7 or 8 years now? Not sure when it started exactly since in the beginning NJ didn't allow it.

Originally Posted by radonc1
It could have been profitable for many reasons other than a ROI on selling GCs.

In retail, loss leaders are designed to suck people into a store where the more profitable items are displayed for impulse purchases

I suspect that most of the buyers on this thread were some of the most unprofitable customers markets had to deal with.

In times of high inflation, loss leaders become much less common since it is so hard for stores to keep the bottom line black when using them.
It's much easier to understand the economics of the 3rd party gift cards being offered with the points bonuses, considering straight discounts on many of them are regularly offered elsewhere, including from some of the merchants themselves. It's really only on the Visa/MC gift card that it becomes harder to imagine how anyone profited.

If it truly was offered as a loss leader, then the grocery dollars only made us even more unprofitable. Prior to grocery dollars, it was cheaper to earn too many points and let some expire than need to pay out of pocket for gas. The revamped program with grocery dollars essentially doubled the amount of time one had to use the points at S&S/Giant MD, making it a bit easier to predict gas needs and use any extra on groceries.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Dont mean to rain on anyones parade, but unless you work for either Ahold Corp or the Cards Corp , its simply guessing why they have the cards to begin with and throw into that Shell as well

and until someone posts and shows they indeed work for 1 of the 3 and in a position where they will know the score, I see any post discussing these topics as a pure waste of time and pure hot air
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The decision to pause/discontinue the Visa/MC gift card deals was probably made in the summer last year and likely not due to fraud (hasn’t that always existed?), but probably profitability, especially in a high inflation and market reopening from covid. They may have needed these deals when people were hesitant to come to the store, but now prices are higher so they are a bit more profitable on groceries and don’t need to overdo the promotions since people will come to the store.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by volkswankin
The decision to pause/discontinue the Visa/MC gift card deals was probably made in the summer last year and likely not due to fraud (hasn’t that always existed?), but probably profitability, especially in a high inflation and market reopening from covid. They may have needed these deals when people were hesitant to come to the store, but now prices are higher so they are a bit more profitable on groceries and don’t need to overdo the promotions since people will come to the store.
People had to eat during the pandemic too, many just switched to ordering online or Instacart, grocery stores were one of the few bright spots in the economy. Giant just got rid of pick-up fees so if anything they are happy to keep people out of the store.

Those who have been around for a while remember that major fraud issues happened before and they shut down using credit cards as an option to purchase gift cards for several years. We have no way to be sure this is the current case, but there clearly are indications of it. My local stores are cleaned out of Visa/MC and there hasn't been a deal in months and months. Someone cleared them out without any kind of bonus or the store pulled them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.