Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-20)

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-20)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 5:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: danpeake
Wiki Link
THIS IS A NEW THREAD FOR 2018. The previous thread is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
[Expired] If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

You can earn gas points from both regular grocery shopping and gift card purchases (promotion only).

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -

Additional Information

A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behavior if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
S&S Promotion History

3/22/2019: 8x HC
4/5/2019: 2x MC
5/17/2019: 3x V
5/24/2019: 8x HC
5/31/2019: 3x MC
6/21/2019: 8x HC
6/28/2019: 3x MC Have a safe and happy Fourth!
9/6/2019: 8x HC
10/4/2019: 2x MC; 10x all HC
3/13/2020: 3x V
3/27/2020: 2x MC
5/15/2020: 3x V

5/29/2020: 2x MC
6/5/2020: 3x V
6/26/2020: 2x MC
7/10/2020: 3x V

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 20, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA, Southwest
Any thoughts if there will be a Visa or MC promo starting July 10 since there has been in past.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
this has been common since wuhanvirus became a pandemic. Its been mentioned repeatedly throughout this thread. Current promo is first time in a while that gas points showed up in the ad
No. There have been gas points promo this whole year.
the188 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by slicktraveler View Post
Any thoughts if there will be a Visa or MC promo starting July 10 since there has been in past.
That or the following week. We'll have to wait and see.
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:07 pm

Anyone purchase the MCGC "Unlock Your Possibilities" and "Celebrate!" and get points on the purchase?
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:44 am

S&S offer for next week, assuming Giant might be the same.

Old Jun 30, 20, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni View Post
It happened at S&S during the last few days of the last VGC promo that the points didn't show on the receipt but were credited to the account. Multiple people reported it and I myself experienced it. At least in the app, under where you can redeem points to grocery dollars, it has a breakdown by expiration date. That should tell you if you were credited.
Unfortunately it doesn't tell me if I'm credited, because I already had a lot of points sitting there and I'm not sure if I picked up an extra 10K.
What is really bizarre is that after again transferring everything that expires in June from gas to groceries, for a 3rd time I had to do it again yesterday. This was another random 396 points that weren't in my account the day before that were set to expire on June 30th. It's now a total of about 8700 extra points that showed up in late June for the first time and were expiring in June.
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:33 pm

I also did not receive points from my MC purchase (Giant PA). I called the customer service number for Giant in general. Gave them all of the receipt information and was told they cannot find the transaction at the register at all. Ultimately (after 40 mins on and off hold) they told me I have to go back the the store to get the points. Has anyone else experienced this? This strikes me as something a store manager isn't going to be able to resolve and will just tell me to call corporate... Is there a different contact number and/ or email I can reach out to?
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rastaman32 View Post
I also did not receive points from my MC purchase (Giant PA). I called the customer service number for Giant in general. Gave them all of the receipt information and was told they cannot find the transaction at the register at all. Ultimately (after 40 mins on and off hold) they told me I have to go back the the store to get the points. Has anyone else experienced this? This strikes me as something a store manager isn't going to be able to resolve and will just tell me to call corporate... Is there a different contact number and/ or email I can reach out to?
Must be a new CS worker. At least with SnS you have to wait a min of 24 hrs before they can see any transaction. So if you called up before T-24 wait till its after T-24 and call CS back. Alot of stores wont give you manual pts if its over 500 pts, at least at SnS the max they can give w/o calling up is 500 pts sometimes they will simply add as mnay 500s as they need , usually they say you must call up
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:12 pm

No points again for me today, so they had to add the points manually. Usually we only have difficulty during the first morning of the promotional period, but now were talking four days later. The only reason I even frequent Giant are for the points, otherwise Id never walk into the store.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Must be a new CS worker. At least with SnS you have to wait a min of 24 hrs before they can see any transaction. So if you called up before T-24 wait till its after T-24 and call CS back. Alot of stores wont give you manual pts if its over 500 pts, at least at SnS the max they can give w/o calling up is 500 pts sometimes they will simply add as mnay 500s as they need , usually they say you must call up
Since when is this? CS reps gave me thousands of points a few different times when I showed my receipt and the ad. I haven't needed to do this for many months so that's why I'm asking when this change happened.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
No points again for me today, so they had to add the points manually. Usually we only have difficulty during the first morning of the promotional period, but now were talking four days later. The only reason I even frequent Giant are for the points, otherwise Id never walk into the store.
I've found S&S to have really good sales most weeks. Does Giant not have that?
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zepcro View Post
Since when is this? CS reps gave me thousands of points a few different times when I showed my receipt and the ad. I haven't needed to do this for many months so that's why I'm asking when this change happened.
In my area NY/NJ its been awhile. Every so often Id get a new employee who will either will do it (most wont) or afraid to do it Most dont want to be bothered especially when theres a system set up to take care of it by calling in eg today got 3 cards so they would have to input 500 9x, most dont want to be bothered, while others in the past tried 1 4500 amount and got KOed. Thats when I found out 500 was the max they could do per transaction. Especially with C-19 they wont do it since it will cause a line to form in the store for CS and thats the last thing they want. Could be for 1 @ 500 theyd do it but unless you are going for the gas right after leaving the store whats the rush, if anything the longer it takes to get posted the longer you have till it expires, thats why I love when getting the cards early on a Fri morn they dont post as I wont call up till Mon and gain a bunch of days
Old Jun 30, 20, 6:12 pm

They do have descent sales, but the level of service is sub-Wal-Mart in my local Giants. It is even more horrendous during the pandemic, as they are not sanitizing carts, wipe canisters are empty, associates arent covering their noses with masks, and so on. Wegmans has their act together, which is where I have been grocery shopping the last few months. My only venture into Giant has been for gift cards, and Im in and out.
Old Jun 30, 20, 6:59 pm
soy

Programs: various
I have often got 3-5k added in-store, so its likely a YMMV based on local store policies rather than a corp wide rule. Prefer not having to do this, and its been +6mths since I had to do this
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, Hilton, IHG, Radisson
Prices are pretty bad. We have Aldi and Lidl around here. Since Lidl and Giant both post prices online, I did some comparison shopping from the comfort of my own home.
Examples: 12 large eggs, $1.29 Giant, $0.79 Lidl
Whole milk 1 gallon $3.49 Giant, $2.19 Lidl
48 oz canola oil $2.49 Giant, $1.35 Lidl

The list goes on. Most items cost about 50% more than they need to. The specials aren't as deep as at stores like Harris Teeter either.
I've concluded that it's generally best to use choice points to lengthen fuel point longevity by 30 days. Using it for groceries is an automatic 50% haircut, then when considering that many items cost 50% more than they need to, it's a total of a 67% haircut vs. picking up 20 gallons at the pump.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: