FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-19) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887866-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2018-19-a.html)

devastitis Jan 3, 18 10:23 am

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-19)
 
Rewards posted for Mastercard spend on 01/01. I guess it really is until 03/31, which is amazing news.

iahphx Jan 3, 18 7:31 pm

FWIW, I was seemingly able to use the Giant gas rewards points I earned last month at a Shell station in Louisiana (also in December). In other words, the Giant points seemed to "convert" to regular Shell Fuel Rewards (at least for their 30 day expiration period). For folks (like me) who tend to travel around the USA a fair bit, this is HUGE (if it continues to work), as it means cheap gas nationwide.

devastitis Jan 3, 18 8:42 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29246985)
FWIW, I was seemingly able to use the Giant gas rewards points I earned last month at a Shell station in Louisiana (also in December). In other words, the Giant points seemed to "convert" to regular Shell Fuel Rewards (at least for their 30 day expiration period). For folks (like me) who tend to travel around the USA a fair bit, this is HUGE (if it continues to work), as it means cheap gas nationwide.

yep, I was able to get free gas in Seattle when visiting the in laws. In laws still use it even though I earn the points on the east coast.

iahphx Jan 3, 18 9:24 pm


Originally Posted by devastitis (Post 29247208)

yep, I was able to get free gas in Seattle when visiting the in laws. In laws still use it even though I earn the points on the east coast.

Thanks for the additional data point. Previously, I thought only the FR portion of the Giant GC purchase was good nationwide: in other words, if it bought a $500 Visa GC, I'd earn 75 cents (15 cents per $100 for using a MC) that I could use nationwide. That's good, but not fantastic. But if I can use that bonus PLUS the regular Giant gas bonus nationwide, that's "real money" -- and helpful since I often don't know how many local fill-ups I'll need in the 30 day period if it looks like I'll be "on the road" elsewhere. Also, when I'm planning a driving vacation, it will incentivize me to buy extra gift cards.

Of course, for the moment, this is all theoretical: we need a new Giant/Stop&Shop Visa/MC promo!

macrophage Jan 4, 18 8:07 am


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29247336)
Thanks for the additional data point. Previously, I thought only the FR portion of the Giant GC purchase was good nationwide: in other words, if it bought a $500 Visa GC, I'd earn 75 cents (15 cents per $100 for using a MC) that I could use nationwide. That's good, but not fantastic. But if I can use that bonus PLUS the regular Giant gas bonus nationwide, that's "real money" -- and helpful since I often don't know how many local fill-ups I'll need in the 30 day period if it looks like I'll be "on the road" elsewhere. Also, when I'm planning a driving vacation, it will incentivize me to buy extra gift cards.

Of course, for the moment, this is all theoretical: we need a new Giant/Stop&Shop Visa/MC promo!

UGH not this week...

10x on Sears in the New England area for Stop and Shop yuck

iahphx Jan 4, 18 11:11 am


Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 29248776)
UGH not this week...

10x on Sears in the New England area for Stop and Shop yuck

Last I heard, the Sears cash registers are not coded to reject gift card sales with a Sears GC, but cashiers have been instructed not to allow it. So your mileage can definitely vary. But at 10X, it might be worth buying these cards if you've been previously successful in flipping them.

Car Jack Jan 4, 18 11:30 am


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29249539)
Last I heard, the Sears cash registers are not coded to reject gift card sales with a Sears GC, but cashiers have been instructed not to allow it. So your mileage can definitely vary. But at 10X, it might be worth buying these cards if you've been previously successful in flipping them.

It depends on the particular store. Of the stores near me, 2 won't allow it and 1 will.

Prometheus77 Jan 4, 18 6:14 pm


Originally Posted by Car Jack (Post 29249629)
It depends on the particular store. Of the stores near me, 2 won't allow it and 1 will.

Similar situation in my area. I know a couple stores that will allow it, but if I remember correctly they haven't had any VGCs or MCGCs or the racks there in months. I may go check tomorrow as the 10X makes it worth the liquidation costs.

Chelski Jan 5, 18 12:13 am


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29190698)
Indeed, it's not perfect. A couple of days ago, I tried siphoning from a half-full 5 gallon can. It didn't work so well. Today, I tried from a full can. After some vigorous shaking, it worked. Pretty well, actually. But it doesn't get the last third of a gallon or so. So I still need the funnel. It does make the job easier, though. If you have a high vehicle, it can be very heavy holding a full 5 gallon can up to the gas tank opening (less of a problem on a regular car). Using a funnel for just the dregs is easier.

That said, I suspect there's a better solution, and my suspicion is an electric siphon. :)

been traveling.. the $50 one is well worth it.. gonna go buy another 5 gas cans to go with my other 5 due to the ease

SpongyBard Jan 6, 18 10:05 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29246985)
FWIW, I was seemingly able to use the Giant gas rewards points I earned last month at a Shell station in Louisiana (also in December). In other words, the Giant points seemed to "convert" to regular Shell Fuel Rewards (at least for their 30 day expiration period). For folks (like me) who tend to travel around the USA a fair bit, this is HUGE (if it continues to work), as it means cheap gas nationwide.


Originally Posted by devastitis (Post 29247208)
yep, I was able to get free gas in Seattle when visiting the in laws. In laws still use it even though I earn the points on the east coast.

I just tried at a Shell outside of Giant area and only got the 5 cents. What mechanism did you all use? FR card? FR alt id? I see my giant rewards and the recent limited 5 cent redemption in my FR account so I think it's all linked properly.

Bigzamboni Jan 6, 18 11:16 pm


Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 29248776)
UGH not this week...

10x on Sears in the New England area for Stop and Shop yuck

Going back to May, the previous "good" promos have been
Week starting:
5/26: 2x Visa
6/23: 2x MC
7/14: 3x Visa
9/1: 4x Mastercard
10/13: 2x Visa or MC
12/1: 2x Visa or MC

There was an amex or two thrown in there somewhere as well. No exact pattern, but shorter than 6 week intervals seem to only ever happen in the summer.

iahphx Jan 7, 18 7:13 am


Originally Posted by SpongyBard (Post 29259888)
I just tried at a Shell outside of Giant area and only got the 5 cents. What mechanism did you all use? FR card? FR alt id? I see my giant rewards and the recent limited 5 cent redemption in my FR account so I think it's all linked properly.

I used my FR card at the pump in Louisiana. Did you use your FR card? Did you have active Giant gas rewards points at the time?

SpongyBard Jan 7, 18 11:08 am


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 29260867)
I used my FR card at the pump in Louisiana. Did you use your FR card? Did you have active Giant gas rewards points at the time?

Yes have ~300 points, and the FR site does show $.35 off. But I only got $.05 off. I used my FR alt id; I'll try ordering a card.

devastitis Jan 7, 18 9:05 pm

I'm going to really hope FR continues some type of Mastercard deal past 3/31. I won't be able to stomach paying for gas again, even at $1.50 off.

Bigzamboni Jan 8, 18 10:36 pm

10x on Domino's and Xbox starting 1/12.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:42 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.