Safeway/Vons Master thread (2018 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 12, 18, 10:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: diburning
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2018. The old thread is here.

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
-Taxes
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 19, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by farwest101 View Post
Anyone else getting hung up on the change location banner? I'm using Chrome and Edge and when I log in today, the "choose your primary store" popup appears and won't go away no matter how many times I click, hit back, close the page, close my browser, reboot my puter, clear my cache
I've been having the same problem recently.
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:46 pm

10 off 100 Visa or more working on variables in wy today until 9/28
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by wyogold View Post
10 off 100 Visa or more working on variables in wy today until 9/28
Safeway or Vons?
Old Sep 21, 19, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle View Post
Safeway or Vons?
Safeway
Old Sep 21, 19, 11:16 pm

Thanks for the DP. Bummer my local area is only served by vons.
Old Sep 22, 19, 5:17 am

Anyone buy MOs at Safeway or Vons before? Are they cash only or can you use debit?
Old Sep 22, 19, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
Anyone buy MOs at Safeway or Vons before? Are they cash only or can you use debit?
I have had no problem using a debit at numerous Safeways. (I haven’t tried split payments.)
ericdabbs likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
coupon is gone on their website so can't be loaded to account, which is expected. coupon vanishes a week before expiration date, so have to load a week before expiration.
Old Sep 23, 19, 1:41 am

Gift card fraud warning

Experienced gift card fraud at my local Safeway (north CA) again.
It happened to me a while back before. It activated fine, but when I tried to use it in store, the card never worked. Then I remembered the glue in the package is very strong and you can never cleanly remove the glue from the card. a few days later all the money were gone.

Today I experienced the similar strong glue when I opened the just purchased 3 gift cards. Concerned about the fraud, I tried to use them asap in store, none of them worked! To avoid the hassle to request the replacement cards, I used all of them online.

In curiosity, I went back to Safeway and opened another gift card package with the same picture. It also has the strong glue! You can not tell the difference between the good card and bad card from the outside of the package. I can't imagine the fraud is done from a person without any connection from the gift card manufacturer. It has to be an insider.

Not sure how widespread the issue is, but from now on I'd always check the glue before purchase the gift card.

Last edited by savingwizard; Sep 23, 19 at 1:50 am
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by savingwizard View Post
Experienced gift card fraud at my local Safeway (north CA) again.
It happened to me a while back before. It activated fine, but when I tried to use it in store, the card never worked. Then I remembered the glue in the package is very strong and you can never cleanly remove the glue from the card. a few days later all the money were gone.

Today I experienced the similar strong glue when I opened the just purchased 3 gift cards. Concerned about the fraud, I tried to use them asap in store, none of them worked! To avoid the hassle to request the replacement cards, I used all of them online.

In curiosity, I went back to Safeway and opened another gift card package with the same picture. It also has the strong glue! You can not tell the difference between the good card and bad card from the outside of the package. I can't imagine the fraud is done from a person without any connection from the gift card manufacturer. It has to be an insider.

Not sure how widespread the issue is, but from now on I'd always check the glue before purchase the gift card.
How did the sides of the VGC packaging look? Obviously the user had to gain access to the VGC card and usually they create a slit somewhere one of the sides of the packaging and later glue it with strong glue. I was a victim of one of these fraud cards at a WM VGC in SoCal but after analyzing the VGC packaging it should have been obvious that the VGC packaging was tampered.
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:41 am

It is not the glue to glue the front and back of package. It is the glue to glue the card to the package. They are just 2 or 3 glue dots. I can not tell from the front and back of the package. I'll check the side when I'm there again.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
How did the sides of the VGC packaging look? Obviously the user had to gain access to the VGC card and usually they create a slit somewhere one of the sides of the packaging and later glue it with strong glue. I was a victim of one of these fraud cards at a WM VGC in SoCal but after analyzing the VGC packaging it should have been obvious that the VGC packaging was tampered.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
The same thing happened to me recently on CO. I usually check the packaging closely, but this one got by me. The card stripe was "deffective" and the 3 digit security code was rubbed off. I opened a case with BHN..so we'll see if they come through. According to BHN, the card was drained a couple of days after activation in Las Vegas grocery store.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BigYellowDog View Post
The same thing happened to me recently on CO. I usually check the packaging closely, but this one got by me. The card stripe was "deffective" and the 3 digit security code was rubbed off. I opened a case with BHN..so we'll see if they come through. According to BHN, the card was drained a couple of days after activation in Las Vegas grocery store.
I check the variables immediately after purchase. My local Vons now stamps all cards as “inspected,” but I still check because I’ve had several in the last year that I needed to replace right away.
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle View Post
I check the variables immediately after purchase. My local Vons now stamps all cards as “inspected,” but I still check because I’ve had several in the last year that I needed to replace right away.
Do they only steal $500 cards? Any stolen cards in $50 or $100?

Also can they be registered online?
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by tomprc View Post
Do they only steal $500 cards? Any stolen cards in $50 or $100?

Also can they be registered online?
Mine was a $100 fixed

Search this Thread