Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
This is a new thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

DETAILS:
As of Dec 2019, WM BP in-store is reportedly affected by the $8000 total limit across all cards.
As of Nov 1, 2018, WM Billpay made via the WM app is limited to a total of $8000 total per person to all accounts per rolling 30 days.

Sep 13 2021 : If WM App is updated with no money services , then use the following for Android phone to get the working version.

https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type...ge=1&s=walmart
My working version is 21.12 (21120123)
Fyr : https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/0...n-app-android/

This workaround no longer works.

Bill Pay cannot be done at a regular register. BP must be done at Customer Service/Returns or at the Money Center in stores that have it.
WM offers two BP services: CheckFreePAY and MoneyGram. The cashier can initiate CheckFreePAY by selecting Money Services followed by Bill Pay on the register for a fee of $1-1.88. Moneygram is $4.99.
ONLY 4 successful debit card swipes can pay for a transaction. ONLY 5 payments per 16 digit account number per rolling 30 days.
CheckFreePay (800) 676-6148. - Look up payments using CC number and time of transaction
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BP by phone number lookup- Once your CFP account is set up, you can add CC. When you want to BP give them your phone# to look up your account under Money Services. They often get confused and think you want MG, but just say it is under Money Services. Make sure you get 2 receipts, one from WM and a small one from CFP showing the CC# and Biller name you paid.

WM App - The Money Services works in express lane for Bill Pay.

Receipt tips: If you don't get a receipt and they have to print you one, make sure the CC you paid appears on the printed receipt. If not on receipt, call CFP with the manager to verify there is no payment processing. They can cancel any transactions and pay you in cash right away. If they cancel the transaction and their cash drawer opens, that means they should pay you in cash, if it doesn't open, the money will probably return to your cards. Not sure what happens on the same day? Watch their drawer when they cancel the transaction to see if it opens. If they say the money will return to your DC, make sure to write down the managers name in case it doesn't.

Payments:
Most cc can be paid 5 times by Visa/MC and 5 times by the issuing bank in rolling 30 days with a total of 10. There might be an 8K limit per rolling 30 days starting Oct 2018.

BUSINESS DAY transaction completion time is 18:59:59 EST (Holidays change post day)

Friday after 06:59PM EST, until Monday BEFORE 07:00PM EST arrives Tuesday
Tuesday BEFORE 7:00PM arrives Wednesday
Wednesday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Thursday
Thursday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Friday
Friday BEFORE 07:00PM arrives Monday
But when a next-day payment will post and be visible depends upon the CC issuer.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Choose to pay by Visa/MC card issuer OR by issuing bank - see the 2 sections below.

:-:VISA and MC - card issuer-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your particular card isn't on the list below, try "VISA" or "MASTERCARD."

"VISA" and "MASTERCARD" payee can no longer be found by search at some stores. If the employee can no longer find "VISA" or "MASTERCARD" by searching in CheckFreePAY, then you cannot pay either, end of story.

Following do not work:

Any and all Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA.
Glimcher VISA MASTERCARD
$1.50 next day.

Works:Bank of America Cash Rewards Business MC
Barclay (Arrival, US Airways) MC - Posts at 11PM EST, credit available 1AM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold MC
Citi AAdvantage (Platinum Select, Executive, Business) MC - Posts at 3AM EST (+1 day)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC
Citi AT&T MC
CitiBusiness Platinum Select MC

Does not work:Barclay Business US Airways MC - NOT PAYABLE - tried 2x
VISA
$1.50 next day.

Works:Barclay Priceline VS
Chase (Amazon, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred, United, Slate) VS - Posts at 11PM EST
Chase Business Ink Bold VS, Chase Ink Plus
Citi (AAdvantage, Dividend, ThankYou Preferred) VS
FIA Fidelity VS
PNC CashBuilder VS
US Bank (Cash+, Club Carlson, Flexperks) VS
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa
Wells Fargo Cashback VS
Does not work:TD Bank VS - [Source]
Alliant Credit Union Cashback Visa Signature
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:-:Issuing Bank--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discover - Use for all Discover network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

American Express AMEX cards(SPG, BC, BCE, BCP, etc) cannot be paid through CheckFreePAY. Some AMEX cards issued by other banks can be paid, but they can be paid using MoneyGram for $4.99

Barclay Listed under barclay - need biller zip - $1.50 next day, $1.00 three days

Bank of America Credit Cards - Use for BoA-issued; will not work for BofA Small Business cards.
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days. (Will require a ZIP but apparently yours will work as well as theirs, which is 19886)
Works:

BoA Alaska Airlines VisaDoes not work:

BofA Asiana Business card
Capital One
$1.50 next day.

Personal and business CCs
Elan Financial Services
$1.50 next day.

Fidelity Visa
PNC Bank - Use for PNC-issued Visa network cards
$1.50 next day, $1.00 three days.

PNC CashBuilder VS
Warning: Some users have reported being shutdown for using bill pay services.

Print Wikipost

Billpay at Walmart (2018 onwards)

Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:23 am

I'll be able to test this more thoroughly in a few days, but my theory was that the rule goes like this:

Sum the dollar value of all completed bill pays (CFP or MoneyGram) made through this account ID in the 30 day period ending today. Now add to that the dollar value of this candidate bill pay that the customer wishes to do. If that total is greater than $8K, then the candidate bill pay transaction is not permitted.

However, elegua's transaction history seems to refute this theory. So, here's a possible elaboration of the rule:
Since MoneyGram is an exception to the limit of 5 CFP bill pays per card account per rolling 30 days, I suppose it's possible that MoneyGram is an exception for the $8K limit as well, but I haven't tested it.

elegua, were any of your $10K worth of transactions between October 24th and November 14th made to MoneyGram (e.g. an Amex credit card payment)?

Last edited by joelmeu; Nov 24, 2018 at 8:32 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by joelmeu
I'll be able to test this more thoroughly in a few days, but my theory is that the rule goes like this:

Sum the dollar value of all completed bill pays (CFP or MoneyGram) made through this account ID in the 30 day period ending today. Now add to that the dollar value of this candidate bill pay that the customer wishes to do. If that total is greater than $8K, then the candidate bill pay transaction is not permitted.

Since MoneyGram was an exception to the limit of 5 CFP bill pays per card account per rolling 30 days, I suppose it's possible that MoneyGram is an exception for the $8K limit as well, but I haven't tested it.
I mainly do Moneygram...$8k limit is in place for MG 100%. also $8k includes fees ($4.99 for Amex 2nd day)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by joelmeu
I'll be able to test this more thoroughly in a few days, but my theory was that the rule goes like this:

However, elegua's transaction history seems to refute this theory. So, here's a possible elaboration of the rule:
Since MoneyGram is an exception to the limit of 5 CFP bill pays per card account per rolling 30 days, I suppose it's possible that MoneyGram is an exception for the $8K limit as well, but I haven't tested it.

elegua, were any of your $10K worth of transactions between October 24th and November 14th made to MoneyGram (e.g. an Amex credit card payment)?
No Amex payment on those dates, only CFP so i'm assuming that 8k only affect payments to Amex using MG but i could be wrong though.

I will try another 2k payment today to the same card, if it failed i will try tomorrow (over 30 days) and let you guys know.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

The BP limit went into place nationwide after 10/24. But all your elaborate scenarios are fun to read.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
10/24 was not day 1. day 1 was several days after 10/24 and before 11/1. it seems when $8k began to take effect, it didn't count the last 30 days retrospectively for that day...so not BP before that cutoff day was counted. if you try another BP today, you will fail for sure.
The payment done on Oct 24 was not the first for the Oct's payments but was the first for the Nov 30 rolling days, i have all my payments schedule on an excel spreadsheet and never have a payment denied, my starting day 1 is the last payment of the month, in this case Oct 24 (5 payments and 10k for Oct) so i can do only 8k payment before Nov 24 which i was able to do as you see on my previous post (i normally count 31 days after Oct 24 to do another payment), so after 31 days on Nov 24 i should be able to do another 2k payment but i normally do it after the Nov 25 to be sure and then because i already have the 10k payment for Nov, i use the first payment of Nov (Nov 3) as the first day for the next 30 rolling days so i will be able to do another payment on Dec 4 or after for 4k, after Dec 14 i should be able to do another 4k payment for a total of 8k and 2 payments or 2k payment for a total of 6k and 3 payments (5 max for Dec), and after Dec 24/25 another 2k payment (of 4k if you made a 2k payment on Dec 14) to finished with 10k and 3 or 4 payments that month, then on Jan/19 my first payment will be 31 days after the first payment done on Dec (previous month) and so on.

I'll try 2k payment today or tomorrow and we go from there, like a said before, that is the way i normally do it and so far never have any payment denied, i don't start my payments from 1 to 30 of the month but i always make sure to be under 5 payments and 10k on each month.

If my today payment or tomorrow failed then the is a limit of 8k that was implemented on Nov and no on October, let you know guys.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276
The BP limit went into place nationwide after 10/24. But all your elaborate scenarios are fun to read.
Another MG employee lol, do you have a source for that?, why instead of have fun reading help us and post the day so we all know when and can save us a trip to WALLY, 1- you will be thanked for and 2- you will feel valuable knowing that you help a fellow reader .
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:20 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how they count the rolling 30 days but I have observed, the $10K allowed PER payee NO LONGER works for me. The YV associate tried to help me figure it out and she *thinks* MG also lowered the payments allowed to each payee. After Oct 24, I started paying attention to my payees and tested $1998.50 pymt to each payee per WMapp account. After the 4th payment on each app account went through, it won't take more payments to ANY payee on file even if I'm sure it hasn't reached $10K total, which leads me to believe that the cap is $8K including the fees PER account. When I switched to another app account, it went through PROVIDED the total payment paid to that payee has not exceeded $8K because I had to adjust the payment for it to go through since it was $25.xx over $8K before I adjusted the amount. I'll keep on trying till I figure this out so I don't have to keep guessing when payments will be accepted. I plan to do two cycles making uniform payments of (4) $1998.50 to find out if MG has put a hard stop limit per account/phone number.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:12 pm

I have accounts with same tel# but different ID numbers and each account has $8k limit. When I had reach my limit on oct 7th my next available date was nov 7th ,31st day
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elegua
Another MG employee lol, do you have a source for that?, why instead of have fun reading help us and post the day so we all know when and can save us a trip to WALLY, 1- you will be thanked for and 2- you will feel valuable knowing that you help a fellow reader .
It rolled out nationwide on 10/31. Go ahead and read the MO thread. It's pretty clear everyone started getting ID'd for >1k on MOs. That was the same day the BP limit went into effect.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
It rolled out nationwide on 10/31. Go ahead and read the MO thread. It's pretty clear everyone started getting ID'd for >1k on MOs. That was the same day the BP limit went into effect.
You're right that 10/31 was the nationwide rollout, but the limits were backdated to some unknown date. I was blocked from doing BP with my DL until today, 31 days after I did 5 BPs to a visa on 10/25).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:25 pm

DP:

Tried BP 0n 11/20 and got denied ("over the allowed limit" per cashier)
$1998.50 payments on 10/25. 10/29, 11/04 (all MC) and 11/13 (VC).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
When you hit $8000 limit at walmart, will they stop you doing bill pay at kroger (they use checkfreepay) too? Kroger doesnt ask for ID so not sure how they map. But I got stopped out at Kroger. CSR showed me the message that it wouldnt go to the next screen (on checkfreepay machine) after swiping credit card and entering name, number info..
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
When you hit $8000 limit at walmart, will they stop you doing bill pay at kroger (they use checkfreepay) too? Kroger doesnt ask for ID so not sure how they map. But I got stopped out at Kroger. CSR showed me the message that it wouldnt go to the next screen (on checkfreepay machine) after swiping credit card and entering name, number info..
Was it a DOB error? It kept giving that last week when I tried. I complained to both K and Checkfreepay but no one seems to know who to contact to fix the issue. There is some cross limit now that they do swipe at K, but its definitely not 8k
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:33 pm

Is it possible to schedule the MG payment through the app like the CFP?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by cdog999
Was it a DOB error? It kept giving that last week when I tried. I complained to both K and Checkfreepay but no one seems to know who to contact to fix the issue. There is some cross limit now that they do swipe at K, but its definitely not 8k
DOB meaning date of birth? It was some generic error. Right after they search for mastercard, enter amount, click continue and the system finds and adds the fee. Then swipe the credit card your are paying the bill to to get the account number. Then enter first name, last name, phone number. Then click continue. Boom. ERROR

How does the swiping relate for cross limit? Kroger does not get your id information. In fact the agent first fat fingered my first and last name initially and it didn't work as well. Phone number is different from whats on my walmart profile as well.

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Nov 28, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.