Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MGC at Sam's Club(2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
It all depends on the cashier. It's definitely wise to not do split transactions. It's a matter of how nosy a cashier wants to be and create their own rules.
Thanks. I've only ever bought one GC at a time at CVS, with no splitting the transaction, and no cashier has ever asked to see the card, so I think I will give this a try. I have stayed away from AGC because they don't have a PIN -- I wasn't sure if maybe the registers at places like CVS would detect that they are GC and not CC. As long as the register doesn't reject them, I think I should be okay.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by AmyAnne
Thanks. I've only ever bought one GC at a time at CVS, with no splitting the transaction, and no cashier has ever asked to see the card, so I think I will give this a try. I have stayed away from AGC because they don't have a PIN -- I wasn't sure if maybe the registers at places like CVS would detect that they are GC and not CC. As long as the register doesn't reject them, I think I should be okay.
I've used them at wmt, cvs, wg, dr. they only seemed to get nervous when realizing u swipe instead of insert.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

Sorry, I have not been in SC for more than a year.

Are any of these $250 MC (at SC} Bancorp and if yes are they still working for MO at grocery stores? PIN last four digits?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Sorry, I have not been in SC for more than a year.

Are any of these $250 MC (at SC} Bancorp and if yes are they still working for MO at grocery stores? PIN last four digits?
I don't know if they're Bancorp, but they are OV and MC, so harder than usual to liquidate.
They don't work at my go-to grocery store. I found one across town (same chain) that will take them. About 5 more failures after that. Then found one nearby (different chain) that will take them. So definitely try one before you go all out.
PIN - choose any 4 digits at first use.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I don't know if they're Bancorp, but they are OV and MC, so harder than usual to liquidate.
My Sam's has both Bancorp and Metabank ones so you need to read the back of the package to know what you're getting. Discussion on reddit concluded don't buy the Metas because they're a pain to liquidate. I've had no issues with the Bancorp ones at a local grocery store. Anyway I'm already done with my two Freedom cards. 5 x $250 on each. The rest I'll just spend organically at Costco between now and 12/31. Thanks to Dosh and Uber local offers for making this a particularly lucrative quarter!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

They don't work at my go-to grocery store. I found one across town (same chain) that will take them. About 5 more failures after that. Then found one nearby (different chain) that will take them. So definitely try one before you go all out.
PIN - choose any 4 digits at first use.
Now that I'm home, I checked - mine are all Bancorp.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:30 am

I'm glad you posted that. I was at SC earlier and because I remembered your comment, I looked a little harder. Under the price sticker of "$53.88" (or whatever it was) was AGC variables up to $500. That should help solve my liquidation problem. Though now I'm going to have to go back and re-read some threads to see if there's a better way to liquidate AGC then using them to buy vgc.
I will either use AGC to pay bills (example, I just paid my car insurance bill with AGC) or buy a VGC at a Rx. I've done a VGC with AGC at a Rx with no issue. I did not split payment.

I was able to get DOSH when buying AGC. I wish DOSH would accept Discover

I also buy Sams GCs to use at Sams gas or at walmart.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:21 pm

AMEX OFFER: spend $15, get $5 back, on-line only, expires 11/30/18

T&C does NOT exclude gift cards, and gift cards have worked in the past.

Big downgrade from the $15 cashback they've offered in the past. My Amex CC only gives me 1x points for Sam's Club, with is about 0.5% cashback - that's only $1 for a $200 gc, not worth the trouble to liquidate. Since I plan to stop a SC for the 5% Discover and Chase, I may use the Amex offer to buy actual groceries with in-store pickup, or a 3rd-party gc that I'll use in organic spend.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:16 pm

DO$H - 8% cashback, $20 max ($250 spend), Sat & Sun

Well, it's 11:14pm Sat night, so it's too late for today, but tomorrow still works.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Dosh suspension

Anyone faced “unusual activity” suspension from Dosh? Did nothing crazy - four CF purchases at Sam’s spread out over 6 weeks and mixed with groceries. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:27 pm

Yeah, they're all discontinued. The cashier can try, but the POS will stop if for any amount over $250. AFAIK, you can still buy the variables that say $20-$500, you just can't put more than $250 on it. But it doesn't hurt to try
Originally Posted by mangoed
Is it hardcoded againt loading more than 250??
In the previous Sam's Club thread, people reported that near the end of 2017, the system stopped them from purchasing more than $250, even though the cashier was willing to give it a try. When they dropped the amount to $250, the purchase would go through. So yes, I assume it is hardcoded. I can't say I've ever had the chance to try it myself.
I think that is true now, back in Oct, I can still buy $500, during Thanksgiving, POS showed error even when cashier scan the MCGC (before cashier ask for the amount I want)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:36 am

Bummer. Discover Card isn't listing "Warehouse Clubs" as a 5% bonus in 2019.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Trouble at SC tonight activating
trouble at local grocery liquidating Ov
tried ov for merchandise “not authorized “
tried ov at fast food no go
reloaded GC at Amazon seems to have gone through
Check balance page ok
guessing ov network down?
Anybody else
will try tomorrow- hopefully temporary

Last edited by 808pineapple; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:06 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Trouble at sams tonight activating
trouble at local grocery liquidating vanilla
tried vanilla for merchandise “not authorized “
tried vanilla at fast food no go
reloaded GC at Amazon seems to have gone through
Check balance page ok
guessing vanilla network down?
Anybody else
will try tomorrow- hopefully temporary
Had no problems yesterday morning activating and buying MOs.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
Relief - liquidated OV
must have been their system maybe updating

OTHO my go to SC, pulled 2.5 Cs - so d0sh dead there for now - will check next week

thx a m for input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.