Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

giftcards.com master thread (2018 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

Giftcards.com (and giftcardmall) now limit Visa loads to $250. No more $500 cards, Change happened sometime in 2020.

Check cash back portals to help cover the fees. Around the holidays there is usually free shipping. http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/cashback-store/giftcards.com/

Limit 5k/ every 48 hours (2 orders under 2.5k including the fees). However, system will reportedly "error out" if more than two orders are attempted within two days.

Cards must be activated before use. Orders usually arrive in 5-7 days.

Select the free letter on the left instead of paying for a card on the right of the screen to save money.

Warning: Orders can be lost or stolen. Call to have them reissued.

Print Wikipost

giftcards.com master thread (2018 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BigYellowDog
I had difficulty this morning..activated cards via the app. The default pin did not work and I could not set the pin online, via app or via phone after activating.

I re-activated the cards just now and then was able to set the pin..default pin may be ok, but didn't test it. So the initial activation did not take. I don't know if was the app or something with their system on the activation.

Friday I will attempt to liquidate again.
Let me know if your work, going to try mine again tomorrow if I have time.

By the way, I just checked mine and I was able to change the PIN on all 30 without re-activating. So, its very odd indeed.

Last edited by cdog999; Mar 14, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

I’ve been liquidating at Fred Meyer for a few months. About a week ago, the first MCGC went through with the default pin but the second gave the “card not authorized” error. I made sure all the cards were activated and tried again (but with two different cards) and got the same result. Gonna try to make sure all pins are set and try again but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by combatwombat; Mar 15, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:34 pm

Took 4 swipes at local grocery store to get MCGC approved for MO. Was getting "Not Authorized".

I think something must be up on the Metabank/Blackhawk side.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:28 am

MeToo got the not authorized error for one of the MC. Other cards from the same order worked fine for MO at grocery chain. Need to try that card again
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Has anyone called GC.com to complain? Now I recall trying to use one of my cards at Kroger and it just said processing for about 8 seconds before it gave a not authorized. Other Meta from OD deal worked fine.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:34 am

Same issue after few seconds of processing, car not authorized. While some cards worked fine.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Abflying
Same issue after few seconds of processing, car not authorized. While some cards worked fine.
I'm not even sure if its card specific. A few days ago I recall having the issue where it would wait 8 seconds and then go not authorized. Tried the card again and it worked. There must be something truely screwed up with their processing. Hope they are fixing this.

Calling them is like talking to a wall. No I do not want you to process a replacement card lol.

Last edited by cdog999; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:51 am

So it seems like the best option right now is to just retry the card until it works.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Yep. It is not card specific, and it is also not PIN set vs default specific. I just tried the same card/PIN combo repeatedly until it worked. This is NOT a good time to try new locations BTW. Until this clears I would suggest staying in your normal hunting grounds with patient CSRs.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:07 pm

Totally agree, this issue is so random. The only way is to retry. I tried to set activate it again and set pin again. But same "Not Authorized" prompt comes up. Hopefully They can fix the issue soon. On the other note the max you can place is now back to less than $2500.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
Got a weird message saying I was over the limit when I could not have been. Im not sure what triggered it but it wouldnt let me put in an order. Strange!
Just happened to me again too. Not sure what the deal is now...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by cdog999
Let me know if your work, going to try mine again tomorrow if I have time.

By the way, I just checked mine and I was able to change the PIN on all 30 without re-activating. So, its very odd indeed.
Mine worked. I had reactivated them using the online portal and then set the pin.

If you set the pin and get an error or denied message, you have a problem with the card and I'd try reactivating it. My failed activations were with the Android App...not sure if it was related to the app or not.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by BigYellowDog
Mine worked. I had reactivated them using the online portal and then set the pin.

If you set the pin and get an error or denied message, you have a problem with the card and I'd try reactivating it. My failed activations were with the Android App...not sure if it was related to the app or not.
Thanks. I happened to be at a grocery store yesterday tried a card twice and got a Not Authorized. Apologized to the cashier and said I needed to change my PIN, which I did right there. Then it was approved. No clue if was me actually re-setting the PIN or if it was just the 1 minute delay.

Just got a 'you are 49xx.xx over the daily limit' error message. Switched to a different account/cc and was able to get it to go through. So annoying since I haven't used that card today.

EDIT: My cards were MGCs as well.

Last edited by cdog999; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

Glad to know I am not the only one having this issue. It's been going on all week and I've been sitting on the sidelines so I don't cause an issue. I did do some testing today. All my cards were GC.com MCGCs.

Went to a few grocery stores that I knew took debit card and tried to buy some money orders. Started swiping cards. None of the stores were a smooth operation. After telling my cashier I needed to swipe for $500 and seeing them do their setup, I would swipe and often find myself stare at "processing" for about 10 seconds before it would come back declined.

Now the odd part, at one store, I would swipe the card I wanted to use, 1st swipe it would always decline. 2nd swipe on every card? Approved without any issue.

Yet at another store that was part of this grocery chain? Total disaster. Got 1 swipe approved after 3 attempts and walked out as the line got busy.

And at another store, one of the customer service managers saw 2 cards got approved while 2 others did not. He stepped up and asked to see my card and saw that it was a gift card. Surprisingly he just went ahead and plugged in the card into the system manually and sure enough it went into approved despite swiping just moments earlier would come back declined multiple times.

Not sure if this DP helps.... or if it gives anyone clues as to what is going on.

Last edited by dkavaichan; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:03 am

Thanks for the DPs. I’m gonna try mine today where I activated using desktop but haven’t reset the PIN.

Off topic questions. What’s the benefit of getting MCGC over Visa? I guess if you’re going somewhere other than WM that it’s equivalent...??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.