Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not want any place that I do business has info on me. Financial institutions are above all others. Some of the systems are linked together and share info.
If you don't want your info out there - then don't MS - simple. It doesn't matter what you want. You're doing more damage by looking like a criminal than you are handing over your DL when you buy MOs. It doesn't take a rocket science degree to realize that if people are avoiding reporting by purchasing smaller MO amounts - MG is going to lower the reporting amounts. If they are doing this to kill MS - they're going to kill MS and you aren't going to avoid its' ultimate death. You may hurry it along by creating AML messes for them to clean up, though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by beast7276
If you don't want your info out there - then don't MS - simple. It doesn't matter what you want. You're doing more damage by looking like a criminal than you are handing over your DL when you buy MOs. It doesn't take a rocket science degree to realize that if people are avoiding reporting by purchasing smaller MO amounts - MG is going to lower the reporting amounts. If they are doing this to kill MS - they're going to kill MS and you aren't going to avoid its' ultimate death. You may hurry it along by creating AML messes for them to clean up, though.
You have no ideas how things work. MO is not MS. There are many ways you probably do not even know of. People like MB have a lot of more tricks in the sleeves than you can imagine. Please do not come to conclusion if you do not even know about. Thx for your advice though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by beast7276
i agree it’s better to just hand over your DL. Every person I know, that has had a visit from a 3 letter agency, has been told it’s better to go to one place (i.e. PO) than multiple ones.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Just for a data point (and to get back on topic) wife and I in midwest both did 4x$500 yesterday and I did all on one order was asked for ID. Wife did 2x$500 on two transactions and was not. The girls do not mind either way. With new 8k with ID rule in place I may save myself a number of visits to wallyworld.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Just for a data point (and to get back on topic) wife and I in midwest both did 4x$500 yesterday and I did all on one order was asked for ID. Wife did 2x$500 on two transactions and was not. The girls do not mind either way. With new 8k with ID rule in place I may save myself a number of visits to wallyworld.
With the right CSR, you can still do 2 $1000 MOs at WM with DL and 4 swipes. It is just becoming harder to do because it is apparent that most WMs in the country are now aware of what is going on, and are starting to take steps to stop it. Then add MG's "nudging" to stop excess sales and we now are in a period of turmoil.
As prior routine conversion sites have been closed (for example, the PO) more and more heavy hitters have piled on to WM and it is showing. I honestly predict that we will soon see (within the next 6 months) the hard coding of payment devices at WM which will prevent the use of GCs for purchasing MOs and bill pay as well.(just like the PO).

I am now starting to look for alternatives to WM. The best time to bail is not when the boat is 3 feet under
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:03 pm

What’s the process for trying to recover a lost MO and lost receipt?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
Last time I had to get a new MO, WU required the other half of the MO and the receipt. If I remember correctly, there was nothing on the receipt to match to the MO. I happened (by luck) to keep them together that time so I knew I was submitting the correct receipt. But I bet I could have just as easily matched it with any receipt as long as the date was the same.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
how did you lose a MO?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski

how did you lose a MO?
Filed a claim with MG went back to Walmart and had reciept reprinted.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
With the right CSR, you can still do 2 $1000 MOs at WM with DL and 4 swipes. It is just becoming harder to do because it is apparent that most WMs in the country are now aware of what is going on, and are starting to take steps to stop it. Then add MG's "nudging" to stop excess sales and we now are in a period of turmoil.
As prior routine conversion sites have been closed (for example, the PO) more and more heavy hitters have piled on to WM and it is showing. I honestly predict that we will soon see (within the next 6 months) the hard coding of payment devices at WM which will prevent the use of GCs for purchasing MOs and bill pay as well.(just like the PO).

I am now starting to look for alternatives to WM. The best time to bail is not when the boat is 3 feet under
The sky has been falling for Walmart for about 5 years now. It's always the end.. and just when you think it's the end, there's always a phoenix rising up from the ashes. I'd argue (and have argued) the skills and techniques involved with manufactured spending translate well to several industries. The names, the stores, the cards may change.. but we'll be here in 2019 headed to 2020 with multiple year end threads lauding our friendship with Walmart.
cruisr and hi55us like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

Just out of curiosity, what would it matter if Moneygram lowered the reporting threshold to under 1k? Then everyone flying under the radar and doing 999.12 would just go back to 999.12 x2 and report 8k per day. Why is everyone so stressed out? Report or don't report as you feel comfortable.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Regardless what, the last thing you want to do is to draw attention from the Bank and it directs to IRS. MS is nothing illegal, but you do not want to open another chapter of something. So try to lay low as much as you can.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hb1500
Just out of curiosity, what would it matter if Moneygram lowered the reporting threshold to under 1k? Then everyone flying under the radar and doing 999.12 would just go back to 999.12 x2 and report 8k per day. Why is everyone so stressed out? Report or don't report as you feel comfortable.
Ultimately if you can social engineer your way into a situation where you can go B2B at 1k, you could probably be effective at whatever back-end loophole we find. The whales can do this for hours. Brick walls aren't there to keep you out - they are there to show you how bad you want in..
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by horseymen
The sky has been falling for Walmart for about 5 years now. It's always the end.. and just when you think it's the end, there's always a phoenix rising up from the ashes. I'd argue (and have argued) the skills and techniques involved with manufactured spending translate well to several industries. The names, the stores, the cards may change.. but we'll be here in 2019 headed to 2020 with multiple year end threads lauding our friendship with Walmart.
I am not saying that the sky is falling. You are correct that there have been dire predictions over the past several years about WM. However, just as a lowering sky full of nimbo-stratus clouds to the west portend a thunderstorm to be, not all ominous skies produce rain and hail. That does not mean you should go out without an umbrella.

We have all seen significant changes in the way WM handles MO requests, and none of them have been an easing of restrictions (just the opposite). I will continue to use WM until I cannot, but just like the PO, one day it worked and the next day it didn't.

We can safely say that WM is not like the PO. There are signs out there. Whether people want to believe them or not is up to them.
barrytuneup likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hb1500
wM can require info for any transaction value they determine warrants documentation. It used to be $3k for the most part but now it’s $1k. If you go frequently enough they are likely to lower the threshold from time to time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.