Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
Hope we can some new methods. Like to hear.
You won't likely read them in this site because the rodents are monitoring posts here so you have to explore other sites via research; in other sites like r3dd it you will read new methods or easy methods that have survived every now and then but are deleted quickly when others pressure the OP. It's impossible to be online 24/7 but if you have the time and diligence, you'll find some valuable MS info.

Discussions done by small groups via apps are less likely to be read by the rodents that's why most DIY MSers have moved discussions there. However, one has to be invited to get into such groups where the admin chooses who gets in after careful vetting.
horseymen and RedSun like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:00 am

The strange thing about these groups is that it can be difficult to get in them. I had something going earlier this year that netted 5 figures every month without having to purchase a single MO. Yet, no one seemed interested in hearing about it so i lkept it to myself until it died (besides sharing with a couple people in private). its not the first time i've been shut out and I've found at least 2 or 3 of these geat unicorns myself the past few years.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:29 am

I realize that this is the WM MO thread, but -- Any reviews/experiences with the new WM-PayPal "Cash-In/Cash-out" program? Specifically whether you can use a prepaid card for the "cash-in" part? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
I realize that this is the WM MO thread, but -- Any reviews/experiences with the new WM-PayPal "Cash-In/Cash-out" program? Specifically whether you can use a prepaid card for the "cash-in" part? Thanks.
of course you can. It doesn’t matter, though, we’re talking about PayPal. If you don’t mind losing access to your money for 6 months, go for it.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
The strange thing about these groups is that it can be difficult to get in them. I had something going earlier this year that netted 5 figures every month without having to purchase a single MO. Yet, no one seemed interested in hearing about it so i lkept it to myself until it died (besides sharing with a couple people in private). its not the first time i've been shut out and I've found at least 2 or 3 of these geat unicorns myself the past few years.
SInce it's already dead and of no consequence, what was the deal?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
As far as I am concerned, the less that WM knows about me, the better. My new goal is no ID and if I have to adjust my MO spend to <$1000, so be it.
I am concerned that a database is being constructed, and at some point it will be used. I am certain that it will not be to our benefit

Of course that presumes that I will be able to purchase MOs from WM given the current mishegas from the CSRs.
agreed..but 999.11 each trip is better then zero
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:33 pm

Cant MG track the heavy hitters via bank deposits?? Each MO has a name on it and if they see many MO deposited among several banks with the same name..They now have DP with the WM id. Even 999.11 might be in jeopardy . This might be their aim. But I take solace in the fact that today's employees in most organizations are too lazy..dumb..not interested.. So maybe nothing will happen.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DjRocket
shhh, you're ruining his plan to get into the secret groups!
MaxVO and Zgirl like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by barrytuneup
Cant MG track the heavy hitters via bank deposits?? Each MO has a name on it and if they see many MO deposited among several banks with the same name..They now have DP with the WM id. Even 999.11 might be in jeopardy . This might be their aim. But I take solace in the fact that today's employees in most organizations are too lazy..dumb..not interested.. So maybe nothing will happen.
If you're talking about the second line, for the MO purchaser - I think most MS'ers either leave that blank or use the names of their stuffed animals and imaginary friends.

If you provide ID when buying your MO's, then MG will be able to link the MO purchaser to the payee's bank account - and more importantly, to identify a pattern of John Doe buying lots of $999.11 MO's and depositing them the next day to the same bank account, and to flag John Doe's DL#, so that he is refused service in the future.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
I had something that netted 5 figures a month as well without a money order. It was called a bill pay. Rest in peace, bill pay...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
If you're talking about the second line, for the MO purchaser - I think most MS'ers either leave that blank or use the names of their stuffed animals and imaginary friends.

If you provide ID when buying your MO's, then MG will be able to link the MO purchaser to the payee's bank account - and more importantly, to identify a pattern of John Doe buying lots of $999.11 MO's and depositing them the next day to the same bank account, and to flag John Doe's DL#, so that he is refused service in the future.
yes, but if John Doe keeps buying $999.11, then his DL # won't be recorded...unless they somehow have leverage over his banks/CUs...then it might be a different game altogether...but even then, without actual proof of any wrong-doing/illegal activity, what would their leverage be?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
yes, but if John Doe keeps buying $999.11, then his DL # won't be recorded...unless they somehow have leverage over his banks/CUs...then it might be a different game altogether...but even then, without actual proof of any wrong-doing/illegal activity, what would their leverage be?
This behavior is also not good community management when the yearly moneygram audit comes to town. We've already see the carnage from Moneygram's latest KYC findings. But, as always, YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by horseymen
I had something that netted 5 figures a month as well without a money order. It was called a bill pay. Rest in peace, bill pay...
You're right, it's no secret but it ain't dead yet (although high 5 figs have a lot of speed bumps now) with some creativity that if it's not spelled out on www, it'll likely continue. We just have to watch out for arrows n circles.

Originally Posted by horseymen
This behavior is also not good community management when the yearly moneygram audit comes to town. We've already see the carnage from Moneygram's latest KYC findings. But, as always, YMMV.
I concur; we cannot control/stop anyone from doing what's convinient and productive for them. We will see in the next few months or weeks what the effects of buying $8K q 24 will be, if there's any. I am convinced they're setting a trap and deal with them sooner or later. Those with the mindset of either go big or go home, it doesn't matter especially for those with high risk tolerance. The blogger who got axed by a CC boasted he didn't regret cycling his CL several times for several months since he earned way more rewards in a short time than what an average MSer would earn in a year.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
You're right, it's no secret but it ain't dead yet (although high 5 figs have a lot of speed bumps now) with some creativity that if it's not spelled out on www, it'll likely continue. We just have to watch out for arrows n circles.

I concur; we cannot control/stop anyone from doing what's convinient and productive for them. We will see in the next few months or weeks what the effects of buying $8K q 24 will be, if there's any. I am convinced they're setting a trap and deal with them sooner or later. Those with the mindset of either go big or go home, it doesn't matter especially for those with high risk tolerance. The blogger who got axed by a CC boasted he didn't regret cycling his CL several times for several months since he earned way more rewards in a short time than what an average MSer would earn in a year.
I think you're misinterpreting his post. You advocating purchasing amounts that avoid reporting is a problem. Your paranoia over someone having information on you (that they most certainly already do whether or not you provide your ID every time you buy MOs) is more likely to lead to further problems than purchasing 8k/24hrs and being recorded.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by beast7276
I think you're misinterpreting his post. You advocating purchasing amounts that avoid reporting is a problem. Your paranoia over someone having information on you (that they most certainly already do whether or not you provide your ID every time you buy MOs) is more likely to lead to further problems than purchasing 8k/24hrs and being recorded.
I do not want any place that I do business has info on me. Financial institutions are above all others. Some of the systems are linked together and share info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.