Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by audifanatic2510
For total purchase price (including 88 cent fee). $999.12 should trigger it.
I want to try buying $499.99 giftcards and see what happens.
$999.12 does not trigger ID at my go to Walmart.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt, AA, Southwest, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by briang191
$999.12 does not trigger ID at my go to Walmart.
Lucky you. triggers it at all of the ones in my area.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:04 pm

$999.12 does not trigger ID in my area. I think there are about 10 HH in my area and at least 8 friendly stores.

Last edited by Travelz; Nov 16, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
Did you do the $1.5k in one single transaction and they did not ask for your DL? If so, that is the first WM that I have heard of that has not implemented the new policy.
sorry I should have been clearer.
The cashier asked for my ID, I have no problem with that.
I was talking about needing more then one ID when you hit X $ amount.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not know how many HTs out there. Maybe more than 2,500. There are also many more who do $100k+ per year regularly. Getting hotel or airline elite status is one thing, profiting from the credit reward arbitrage is another thing. MO is about the only game in town for the HTs to profit from the game.

I'm just lucky that I've never seen any HTs when I visited stores. I won't be happy if I see any HT tying up the line. Most stores have low limit on daily loading. Several of them have started to check the cards regularly and will turn away anyone who has the Debit on the cards. The last WM I visited in low income area has huge lines everywhere and it is impossible to do anything.
god, I really love reading FT. Every time I start think there are people who have a clue, I get to read a post like this one.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
MG now has an easy way to control totals. They can easily lower the limit to $2k per 24 hours if they want, so I think you are safe. I doubt they would go lower than $2k.
what is that info based on? they could lower limits to 400.00 also and put us out of biz.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
what is that info based on? they could lower limits to 400.00 also and put us out of biz.
It's based on the assumption that MG wants to make money. Sure they could cut the limit to $400.00, but that would eliminate a huge portion of their non-MS business as well.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
A few posts bickering about the dollar amount of MO that triggers the ID verification have been removed because this thread was getting off track. Feel free to share data points but please try to avoid personal attacks and name-calling.
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
A few posts bickering about the dollar amount of MO that triggers the ID verification have been removed because this thread was getting off track. Feel free to share data points but please try to avoid personal attacks and name-calling.
heh... sorry... I almost stopped myself from hitting submit.

For those of you that are still struggling to get more than 1 transaction per day, you could always just talk to them about the new rules regarding MOs and that the new rule does not say only one transaction per day, it says 8k per day, per person, per transaction. I have been bringing this up over time with each of the cashiers at my primary WM and they all end up agreeing to me doing at least 1 extra transaction. 3 of them have agreed that I just have to stay under 8k for the day, even if I push it to 8 transactions (so that they don't have to spend extra time entering info). That being said, I have a great relationship with most of the cashiers at this store, but the risk of getting shut down due to asking seems small and the reward is a lot of time savings.
briang191 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Melanion90
heh... sorry... I almost stopped myself from hitting submit.

For those of you that are still struggling to get more than 1 transaction per day, you could always just talk to them about the new rules regarding MOs and that the new rule does not say only one transaction per day, it says 8k per day, per person, per transaction. I have been bringing this up over time with each of the cashiers at my primary WM and they all end up agreeing to me doing at least 1 extra transaction. 3 of them have agreed that I just have to stay under 8k for the day, even if I push it to 8 transactions (so that they don't have to spend extra time entering info). That being said, I have a great relationship with most of the cashiers at this store, but the risk of getting shut down due to asking seems small and the reward is a lot of time savings.
You must have gotten lucky with smart, logical cashiers Every WM I go to they're dumb parrots who keep repeating the same line over and over "we're just following rules, we can get fired". I did have one WM where 2/3 of cashiers now allow 2-3 transactions, but their shifts are unpredictable.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:52 am

Is the 4-swipe limit per transaction still in place?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Is the 4-swipe limit per transaction still in place?
yes
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by audifanatic2510
For total purchase price (including 88 cent fee). $999.12 should trigger it.
I want to try buying $499.99 giftcards and see what happens.
Buy both $500 and $499.98 cards. It simplifies the communication with the cashier -- "Five hundred on the first card . . . and the balance on the next". I use a different card design to distinguish my oddball card balances from the 500's.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Visited the WM that I normally do not go. Asked for $499 MO. Was told GC is not accepted. Cashier asked to exam all the cards in my hand. I gave her the DC and my backup PPMC. She said the card is good. I did not even want to try $499.12 or $999.12. It is too obvious and suspicious. Willing to eat the extra 88C vs. turning away. Forget about multi swipes.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Visited the WM that I normally do not go. Asked for $499 MO. Was told GC is not accepted. Cashier asked to exam all the cards in my hand. I gave her the DC and my backup PPMC. She said the card is good. I did not even want to try $499.12 or $999.12. It is too obvious and suspicious. Willing to eat the extra 88C vs. turning away. Forget about multi swipes.
or you could have entered wrong pin and say you'll call your bank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.