Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DjRocket
I think MoneyGram has bigger fish to fry that worry about two 2k MO's purchased at different locations, and it won't be WM, at least in this case. Since MG doesn't interact with you directly to observe "suspicious behavior", they put a limit of 8k just in case, but that doesn't mean you're safe. I don't know what their analytics team is doing, but if they are looking for ML patterns in somebody's behavior, staying within limit won't necessarily help you, the low volume will. It's like one 9 k cash deposit won't do much, several of them, and especially at different locations, might get you in trouble of having to explain what you're doing. This is how I understand it.
I don't think the new ID policy has anything to do with identifying ML -- that's FinCEN's concern.

MG's business model is built on the float between the time a MO is sold and when it's remitted for payment (most, if not all of the fee that WM charges goes to WM). When a MO is deposited the same day it was issued, that costs MG money. I personally know of several MS'ers who are or were doing upwards of 100k/month. So I have to think that the total MS activity has to represent several million/month in MG MO's, and much of that is generating little or no float. This is bad business for MG.

My suspicion and fear is that the purpose of this ID gathering is to make it easy for MG to identify unprofitable customers, and to easily block those people by flagging their ID's. I think it's just a matter of time before we start hearing "I'm sorry. The computer says I can't sell you any MO's".
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
I don't think the new ID policy has anything to do with identifying ML -- that's FinCEN's concern.

MG's business model is built on the float between the time a MO is sold and when it's remitted for payment (most, if not all of the fee that WM charges goes to WM). When a MO is deposited the same day it was issued, that costs MG money. I personally know of several MS'ers who are or were doing upwards of 100k/month. So I have to think that the total MS activity has to represent several million/month in MG MO's, and much of that is generating little or no float. This is bad business for MG.

My suspicion and fear is that the purpose of this ID gathering is to make it easy for MG to identify unprofitable customers, and to easily block those people by flagging their ID's. I think it's just a matter of time before we start hearing "I'm sorry. The computer says I can't sell you any MO's".
Makes sense.

On the billpay side, I understand MG is different than CFP so why is CFP also controlling how many bill payments a customer makes? In the past it was limited to $10K or 5 payments or whichever comes first per payee but recently, strict limit of $8K covering all payees, rolling 30 days. IME, I made two payments of $2499.xx, third was $1998.50 and when I tried another for $1997.xx, register won't take it saying I already exceeded payment for my account using DL Next time, I'll make $1998.50 payments four times to make $8K payments per account or if possible, create new accounts with legit IDs from friends/family.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:22 am

Time to hand over a fake ID lol
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by BSpatula31
Time to hand over a fake ID lol
For those who insists they're doing nothing illegal, this is a VERY BAD move because it contradicts one's stand. There's more legit ways than duplicitous tactics to earn miles/pts/cb.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
For those who insists they're doing nothing illegal, this is a VERY BAD move because it contradicts one's stand. There's more legit ways than duplicitous tactics to earn miles/pts/cb.
I was just joshin around. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by BSpatula31
I was just joshin around. Obviously you wouldn't want to do that!
An expired, out of state ID on the other hand..
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:44 am

I have enough BPs with 2 accounts and will just stick with that. I could get a 3rd ID, but not now. I think after 3 months they will have data to decide on more changes.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:54 pm

MG's business model is built on the float between the time a MO is sold and when it's remitted for payment (most, if not all of the fee that WM charges goes to WM).
That and breakage (unredeemed MOs are basically pure profit, similar to GCs of all and any flavours)
Adirondacker, soartoday and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:10 pm

two of my friendly walmart for money order has been down for the past week. I don't know if its coincidence or is it because its the most friendly walmart in my area. maybe the recent update had something to do with this?

any input is appreciated.

thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by theseeker
two of my friendly walmart for money order has been down for the past week. I don't know if its coincidence or is it because its the most friendly walmart in my area. maybe the recent update had something to do with this?

thanks!
Sometimes they just break. Of course, if it's getting an extra workout b/c they're the only friendly stores in the area, that could be why...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by theseeker

I don't think it would hurt if you go to management to let them know; if you're in an area with high volume of MO sale, they will definitely act on it asap. I don't think it has anything to do with the recent policy updates. If, by chance, they don't...feel free to call WMHQ to report store number and I guarantee you, the store manager will act on it quickly.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I suppose the day will come with the above poster stating..sorry.... So do as much as feasible now..then just do 1 999.12 when that day comes. definitely will slow us down, but not out.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:14 pm

Makes sense. Curious how they will identify the customers in a unique manner (since they're not collecting SSN) and what their threshold will be for "too much is too much" volume.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Makes sense. Curious how they will identify the customers in a unique manner (since they're not collecting SSN) and what their threshold will be for "too much is too much" volume.
I think info they capture from our DL is more than enough for them to identify us for monitoring purposes. It may take months to find out if MG will put a stop to those they deem as buying too much MOs way above the regular person does. I can understand why they would flag an individual that buys >/=$10K weekly on a regular basis since this mimics ML activities, which I'm sure they don't want to be part of.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
We have been buying MO's at WM for several years. The entire process is such a fragile one. We buy from websites like Staples and Simon Mall. Credit cards could stop us at any time from doing that. The vendors could stop selling the cards with credit cards. Money orders are a YMMV thing because some stores, the WM customer service people are suspicious of the activity and just stop it before it starts. Depositing money orders is something I haven't had issues doing, but some people have.

Between our credit card companies, the vendors, the WM employees, and the deposits to our bank, anything can stop us from MS, and it could shut down at any time.

We do small amounts. We max our $100K per year with our old Ink Visa with Staples at 5X. We started doing $120K per year at Simon on our CSR recently. I see no reason to continue the Simon cards. $9 spend = $15 value for Simon with CSR. That is not good enough to risk being shut down.

I just think Moneygram is trying to find people who are heavy hitters. That is my take. I always thought it would be WM itself that would shut us down, not Moneygram. Kind of unexpected. So now another step to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.