Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Because the new memo didn't explicitly tell those minions that now it's ok to just allow 8K, so they still insist it must be done in one transaction. Hopefully some stores will figure it out or there's further guidance sent as a memo.
Exactly. Out of the 15-20 WM's in my vicinity, I only know of one that will allow more than one total MO transaction per day.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by briang191

do you think the changes will effect the individuals with 50k in gift cards?
HaHa! Yeah, I was told they are being shut down.
briang191 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
$999.12 works too
does it trigger DL request if you buy 2 x $999.12 in one transaction (total with fees = $2000)? In other words, is it the amount of MO that triggers that (in these case - both MOs are under $1000 each, but total is greater than that) or the transaction total?...as of the moment the only GCs I have are $300 ones from Staples, so didn't have a chance to test (and 3x $300 = $900 MO does not trigger DL request)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
HaHa! Yeah, I was told they are being shut down.
I think the heavy hitters are driving around town getting MO for 999 at every WM right now until there stack is gone.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
does it trigger DL request if you buy 2 x $999.12 in one transaction (total with fees = $2000)? In other words, is it the amount of MO that triggers that (in these case - both MOs are under $1000 each, but total is greater than that) or the transaction total?...as of the moment the only GCs I have are $300 ones from Staples, so didn't have a chance to test (and 3x $300 = $900 MO does not trigger DL request)
The transaction total cannot meet or exceed $1000, including fees.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:58 pm

The transaction total cannot meet or exceed $1000, including fees.
Strange...some report that 2 x $999.11 (plus fees) work without DL...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
Strange...some report that 2 x $999.11 (plus fees) work without DL...
Tried 2 x 998.12, still requires Id.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
yes, that's what I suspected...in the future I am planning to use various combinations of $500 VGCs with Staples/OD cards ($500+$200+$200 or $500+$300) because I am not sure if my CU will not find it suspicious when lots of $999.11 MO get deposited...
Travelz likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:53 pm

[QUOTE=businessworkflyer;30385873]Insider information Moneygram team. its bs on posters part. How many times have untruths been spread here over the years?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:54 pm

pure BS on posters part.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Yeah, I have a feeling it will need to definitely be $1k or less per transaction.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling it will need to definitely be $1k or less per transaction.
Need a little clarity for a newbie please. It sounds like MO + Transaction Fees can not exceed $1000 for each MO. Maxing out at $8K spend per 24-hour cycle.

Questions:
1) Is WM still allowing up to 4 swipes per MO?
2) Can you purchase 8x $1000 MO’s at one shot?
3) Do you have to keep total below $1000.00 in 24-hour period to avoid DL request? Or just per each transaction?
4) If I don’t care about being “flagged” what is the current max on a single MO WM allows?

Thanks for the help!
TD

Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Need a little clarity for a newbie please. It sounds like MO + Transaction Fees can not exceed $1000 for each MO. Maxing out at $8K spend per 24-hour cycle.

Questions:
3) Do you have to keep total below $1000.00 in 24-hour period to avoid DL request? Or just per each transaction?
4) If I don’t care about being “flagged” what is the current max on a single MO WM allows?

Thanks for the help!
TD

YMMV

YMMV

Per transaction.

whatever your Walmart will allow.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

Questions:
I made experiments today to find out what amount works for me w/o ID check and compared notes with my buddies. My answers to these questions are based on today's results:

1.YES, limit of 4 swipes have not changed in buying MOs. I have switched mostly to loading prepaids where there's no ID check and B/P still works for us, separate accounts on P3 mode.

2. Test purchase made where I bought $999.88 which included the fee and no ID prompt even with the strict associate. I'm surprised that even if it was 12 cents close to $1K, she did not pull up the eMSAR tab (she was probably in a good mood). OR it's also possible she wanted to finish the transaction quickly due to line forming. I stopped at one MO at this store.

3. IME experience today, I can say YES because at store#2, the MSer ahead of me who was attended by another BV ordered one $999.12 which prompted ID check. I bought $999.00 and was not asked for ID; I compared notes with a friend who went to same store which allowed up to $8K in separate transactions ~ she did $1998.24 two times and $2K two times and her info was entered 4 times with a reminder that she can't buy more at any WMs today but can resume tomorrow.

4. Current max face value one can buy with .88 fee remains $1000 except in certain states like AZ ($950 IINM) and there's a state mentioned in the memo, I think it's VA where MOs worth $750 and above, the purchaser's info has to be entered, but they can purchase up to $8K per rolling 24 hrs.

I'll buy more WU at grocery stores now, a few Ks a month MGMO at WM but will continue with B/P, prepaid loading and WMcredcard payment there.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:21 pm

3. IME experience today, I can say YES because at store#2, the MSer ahead of me who was attended by another BV ordered one $999.12 which prompted ID check. I bought $999.00 and was not asked for ID; I compared notes with a friend who went to same store which allowed up to $8K in separate transactions ~ she did $1998.24 two times and $2K two times and her info was entered 4 times with a reminder that she can't buy more at any WMs today but can resume tomorrow.
Mamibear.. someone like this will kill it for all of us. I know you to be astute and knowledgeable..but tell this person to slow up. read my following post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.