Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by glader
I was asked for ID but no SSN today for the 1st time on a $2k MO transaction (3 MO's totaling $2k). No ID needed yesterday. Curious if this is just for Moneygram? Based on previous reports, it seems WM asked for a SSN on transactions where they file an eMSAR. I feel somewhat better not giving out my SSN but not thrilled about ID requirement.

the question is that what will MoneyGram do with our information from our ID's
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:19 pm

wm MO

Originally Posted by pao2dapao
the question is that what will MoneyGram do with our information from our ID's
yes absolutely true. Could they be compiling our names and instituting limits? Obviously WM does not
want to lose any fees they get. So is MG trying to limit us? Will probably take a year. Cant figure this out. Just returned from WM in CT.. 2 999.12 MO with 4 swipes and had to give DL. Small receipt prints name and address.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:42 pm

a friendly CSR at my local WM told me that MoneyGram implemented this policy and that's "for your own protection - in case your MO gets lost or stolen"...don't know if it's true or if it's her own interpretation, but if true, then perhaps MoneyGram won't do anything with all the DLs collected until and unless there is some dispute or request for replacement...who knows...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
I'm not sure this is possible. Does anyone have at DPs? Today I did 2 x 999.12 MOs (total 2000) and it prompted for DL. Subsequently asked for 1 x 999.12 MO and it prompted for DL. Since it was a friendly CSR I asked if she could try 1 x 999.11 MO instead (999.99 total) and it still asked for DL. Could have been the back to back MO transactions?
Originally Posted by Travelz
One CSR said it comes up for over $750, but not sure if she knows what she is talking about.
Bought one for $793 this morning and wasn't asked for ID. Then bought 2 x $999.12 and WAS asked for ID (no SSN though). Another 2 x $999.12 earlier at another store I was asked for ID. Wonder what the limit is to not ask for ID? Seems like somewhere between $793 and $999.11 based on the above info.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:03 pm

I have been doing 2x $999.12 MO's for a week now and each time providing my id. Am I the only one on this boat or do you think it's bad a idea and should jump off now?
Hopefully, this doesn't happen within the next month they've been collecting personal info especially those who buy up to $8K on a daily basis. DL or state ID has enough info for them to know where to find person of interest for questioning. I'm not convinced it's for the customer's protection because they don't ask from all customers buying >$100 MO paying in cash or debit.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Hopefully, this doesn't happen within the next month they've been collecting personal info especially those who buy up to $8K on a daily basis. DL or state ID has enough info for them to know where to find person of interest for questioning. I'm not convinced it's for the customer's protection because they don't ask from all customers buying >$100 MO paying in cash or debit.
I don't see what the problem of collecting Ids is. They scan my ID at CVS everytime.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by skanchur
I don't see what the problem of collecting Ids is. They scan my ID at CVS everytime.
VGCs are NOT the same as MOs which CVS don't sell and they don't file electronic SARs.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
I have been doing 2x $999.12 MO's for a week now and each time providing my id. Am I the only one on this boat or do you think it's bad a idea and should jump off now?
i acutally don’t mind either. It seems to make 4 swipes less suspicious to the cashier in the short time I’ve had to do it. My midwest locations all had it roll out over the last day or 2. Might even just go up to 2999.99 in 2 transactions from here.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: 2% Cash Back by Citi | Chase Business Ink Cash| Amex Everyday Preferred| Chase Freedom| Discover It
Puerto rico
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Bought one for $793 this morning and wasn't asked for ID. Then bought 2 x $999.12 and WAS asked for ID (no SSN though). Another 2 x $999.12 earlier at another store I was asked for ID. Wonder what the limit is to not ask for ID? Seems like somewhere between $793 and $999.11 based on the above info.
At my stores, $999.12 + $0.88 fee equals ID. $999.11+ $0.88 fee equals no ID.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Clueless12

Makes sense, as the former adds to 1k with fee. I did $955 at one store and $995 at another; both plus .88 fee and no ID.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I just did two individual $999.32+0.68 fee=$1000, no ID was needed. tried $2000 first and ID was needed, I told CSM to void and re did 2x999.32 separately.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Clueless12

My 999.12 MO + 0.88 fee does not require ID.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:31 am

Just tried to get two MO for $999 and got error message. Politely inform customer they have reached their money order limit. Not good.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
Just tried to get two MO for $999 and got error message. Politely inform customer they have reached their money order limit. Not good.
I hear it is 8K every 24 hours, so that might be the issue. They are tracking us by our DL number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.