Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Both my local Wallys asked for ID today.

My primary one has been very lax over the years; I used to buy $8K/day (one swipe) and they didn't fill out a form or anything.

They didn't ask for ID for my bill payments.

Probably my CSR's will have mine memorized before too long.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by IslandOfEnchantment
Anybody know why at WM they ask me for my drivers licensed and typed it in the computer when making a MO? I been making MO and its been fine but today it seems they were bother by my presence. They even ask me can I look at the card "to see if it had a chip". I show my real debit card but I dont want to go back unless I know whats going on because yesterday it was fine.
What island are you on?
cruisr and beast7276 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Related question. My extremely reliable relaxed nonWalmart supermarket (previously with signs saying MO can not go over $2999.99) said that going forward I need social security card and ID. I asked for what amount, and they said for what I do. I'm reasonably certain I am the only person doing MS at that store and have been going there for about 5 years. They know I split payment, but I don't know if they realize I'm using multiple cards (I think they probably do). I didn't have SS card with me, but will try to go back again. When this happened at Walmart 5ish years ago, they subsequently banned me the next time. Thoughts on how to proceed? The nonhostile walmart is kind of far from me, and this store is pretty much all I have conveniently left.
Social Security makes it very clear that you should not carry your card with you at anytime.
Billiken likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Both my local Wallys asked for ID today.

My primary one has been very lax over the years; I used to buy $8K/day (one swipe) and they didn't fill out a form or anything.

They didn't ask for ID for my bill payments.

Probably my CSR's will have mine memorized before too long.
How could you buy 8K at one time with one swipe?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Social Security makes it very clear that you should not carry your card with you at anytime.
I agree. However if it is my only way to get money orders...

I got lucky when I went back. The two people working there argued if my data needed to be written down, and the one serving me stubbornly won that it shouldn't. I went to a walmart and another store of the same chain that are next to each other and cashed out some cards, so at least I have a backup option. I'm going to go from once week to once every 2-3 weeks at this store moving forward, although it will be inconvenient.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
How could you buy 8K at one time with one swipe?
You use a debit card linked to a bank account that has at least $8,000 in it. I assume the OP was using a rewards-earning debit card.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
my understanding is this ID/no SSN thing is due to KYC (know your customer) on the Memo. old ID/SSN is independent process. not sure if the new ID/no SSN will replace old ID/SSN or both will exist. need more DPs.
since I've read some who agreed to have their ID entered up to 8x in eight transactions, I look forward to DPs later on what the effects of this will be (if any). Yes, it's probably KYC but I'd like to know if HQ will pass it on to lea when particular IDs get entered a certain number of times per day/per week/per month? We will find out as more DPs come in for those whose ID get entered more than twice per day.

I don't mind my ID entered once or twice a month (not comfortable with more than that even w/o SS entry) so my gameplan now is to load more prepaids and buy WUMO at grocery stores and gas stations with no ID check.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I find that ability to buy MOs at WMs is very CSR dependent.

Yesterday, I went to my usual WM in the early AM and swiped 4 cards for an $800 MO without issue.
Went back late in afternoon with a new CSR and she said that the rules were only 2 swipes per MO
I just said I needed an $800 MO and would get it elsewhere, then thanked her and left.

Fortunately I have a number of other WMs available to me so I just alternate when one goes boing in the night.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Hb1500
Do you really think your ssn is the least bit private anymore?
In the least bit yes, totally secure no. No data is truly secure anymore, but why make it easier to get?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 am

All of my go to’s in the DFW area started asking for DL last night or this morning. No SSN.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I think if it is $999.99 or less then no ID is needed.. If the cashier is willing to do it, then theoretically I would assume you could do unlimiited transactions with no ID.
I'm not sure this is possible. Does anyone have at DPs? Today I did 2 x 999.12 MOs (total 2000) and it prompted for DL. Subsequently asked for 1 x 999.12 MO and it prompted for DL. Since it was a friendly CSR I asked if she could try 1 x 999.11 MO instead (999.99 total) and it still asked for DL. Could have been the back to back MO transactions?

Probably made it take 2.5 times longer than usual having to enter DL twice.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:50 am

One CSR said it comes up for over $750, but not sure if she knows what she is talking about. The Know Your Customer(ID info) is on the receipt like someone said earlier and they type most of the info wrong, so I don't think it is a big deal. If they ever add swiping of the DL to get the info it will be accurate. It is bizarre that such a big company is so far behind with there programming, but it had been lucky for us MSers. The KYC might stop the SARs from being filed so that is good, I think.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:15 am

I have been doing 2x $999.12 MO's for a week now and each time providing my id. Am I the only one on this boat or do you think it's bad a idea and should jump off now?

Last edited by pao2dapao; Nov 1, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
I'm not sure this is possible. Does anyone have at DPs? Today I did 2 x 999.12 MOs (total 2000) and it prompted for DL. Subsequently asked for 1 x 999.12 MO and it prompted for DL. Since it was a friendly CSR I asked if she could try 1 x 999.11 MO instead (999.99 total) and it still asked for DL. Could have been the back to back MO transactions?

Probably made it take 2.5 times longer than usual having to enter DL twice.
Good experiment just have to try it on separate days. Yes I feel the worst thing about it is just all the time it will take to manually enter DL.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
I was asked for ID but no SSN today for the 1st time on a $2k MO transaction (3 MO's totaling $2k). No ID needed yesterday. Curious if this is just for Moneygram? Based on previous reports, it seems WM asked for a SSN on transactions where they file an eMSAR. I feel somewhat better not giving out my SSN but not thrilled about ID requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.