Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
at the beginning , so you can decide to leave then....they ask for ID and they type, then you have to type your SSN privately on the pin-pad.
Ah! So it's not an automatic computer prompt, it's CSR-initiated...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by in4tar
Ah! So it's not an automatic computer prompt, it's CSR-initiated...
where it’s been activated, it is automatic. It happens after you swipe and before the MOs print.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Oct 29, 2018 at 10:51 pm Reason: not appropriate
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:16 pm

Serous question. Why is everyone allergic to giving your ID? It’s pretty suspicious. My WM instituted the aforementioned ID requirement. I just go for my usual 4-5 transactions of 4 swipes each. I swiped each time and that was that. No muss no fuss.

I feel like the swipe avoidance going on is more likely to raise issues than being above board. The reason they probably had to do this was people avoiding reporting in the first place.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:58 am

Related question. My extremely reliable relaxed nonWalmart supermarket (previously with signs saying MO can not go over $2999.99) said that going forward I need social security card and ID. I asked for what amount, and they said for what I do. I'm reasonably certain I am the only person doing MS at that store and have been going there for about 5 years. They know I split payment, but I don't know if they realize I'm using multiple cards (I think they probably do). I didn't have SS card with me, but will try to go back again. When this happened at Walmart 5ish years ago, they subsequently banned me the next time. Thoughts on how to proceed? The nonhostile walmart is kind of far from me, and this store is pretty much all I have conveniently left.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Related question. My extremely reliable relaxed nonWalmart supermarket (previously with signs saying MO can not go over $2999.99) said that going forward I need social security card and ID. I asked for what amount, and they said for what I do. I'm reasonably certain I am the only person doing MS at that store and have been going there for about 5 years. They know I split payment, but I don't know if they realize I'm using multiple cards (I think they probably do). I didn't have SS card with me, but will try to go back again. When this happened at Walmart 5ish years ago, they subsequently banned me the next time. Thoughts on how to proceed? The nonhostile walmart is kind of far from me, and this store is pretty much all I have conveniently left.
Maybe give it a few weeks/month or so and let retail turnover work its magic? I wouldn't go back right away unless you absolutely had to unload something quickly.

Last edited by NeGourmand; Oct 30, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: word
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
Serous question. Why is everyone allergic to giving your ID? It’s pretty suspicious. My WM instituted the aforementioned ID requirement. I just go for my usual 4-5 transactions of 4 swipes each. I swiped each time and that was that. No muss no fuss.

I feel like the swipe avoidance going on is more likely to raise issues than being above board. The reason they probably had to do this was people avoiding reporting in the first place.
If you're one of those who buy MOs once or twice a month with 4 swipes each transaction, eMSAR filed on you may not be a big deal; however, if you're doing regular MS runs twice a day (or more) for 4 swipes each or even just 2 swipes if total is $1K, would you be comfortable eSAR filed on you twice a day x 30 days? There are those who don't care but I *think* multiple eSARs faxed to Bentonville on an individual will trip the alarm for eyeballs to check what such person is doing. All boils down to risk tolerance for those who are fully convinced they're not doing anything wrong; once alarms go off, the individual's info is passed on to authorities and convincing Leo that everything's legit will be up to the person. Hopefully, the individual gave legit info or it gets more complicated.

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
seems like the supermarket is just giving an alibi for you to stop buying MOs from them ~ you can test it by bringing your card the next time but what IF they tell you they have to make a copy of it + your DL or else they won't sell?

It all depends on how desperate you are to buy MOs from them OR just go to the non hostile store and see if policies haven't changed there yet. You may have to start looking for grocery stores/gas stations to buy your MOs.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
If you're one of those who buy MOs once or twice a month with 4 swipes each transaction, eMSAR filed on you may not be a big deal; however, if you're doing regular MS runs twice a day (or more) for 4 swipes each or even just 2 swipes if total is $1K, would you be comfortable eSAR filed on you twice a day x 30 days? There are those who don't care but I *think* multiple eSARs faxed to Bentonville on an individual will trip the alarm for eyeballs to check what such person is doing. All boils down to risk tolerance for those who are fully convinced they're not doing anything wrong; once alarms go off, the individual's info is passed on to authorities and convincing Leo that everything's legit will be up to the person. Hopefully, the individual gave legit info or it gets more complicated.

seems like the supermarket is just giving an alibi for you to stop buying MOs from them ~ you can test it by bringing your card the next time but what IF they tell you they have to make a copy of it + your DL or else they won't sell?

It all depends on how desperate you are to buy MOs from them OR just go to the non hostile store and see if policies haven't changed there yet. You may have to start looking for grocery stores/gas stations to buy your MOs.
Another reason is that you should not give your SSN number to anyone if it is not absolutely required. Target was hacked, even Equifax was breached...how much do you trust the security of WM's databases? Up until a few months ago if WM asked you for your SSN, they wrote it down on paper and stuck in a binder under the counter.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
Another reason is that you should not give your SSN number to anyone if it is not absolutely required. Target was hacked, even Equifax was breached...how much do you trust the security of WM's databases? Up until a few months ago if WM asked you for your SSN, they wrote it down on paper and stuck in a binder under the counter.
Do you really think your ssn is the least bit private anymore?
beast7276 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:15 pm

I have gotten used to our personal data getting hacked several times, it's no longer funny; the cat is out of the bag and nothing we can do about it. I just monitor our finances with vigilance and hope for the best.

What I'm concerned about if several eMSARs are filed and my info is passed on to Leo for scrutiny, there is no telling when they will come to investigate. I don't know anyone who is prepared for such visits.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have gotten used to our personal data getting hacked several times, it's no longer funny; the cat is out of the bag and nothing we can do about it. I just monitor our finances with vigilance and hope for the best.

What I'm concerned about if several eMSARs are filed and my info is passed on to Leo for scrutiny, there is no telling when they will come to investigate. I don't know anyone who is prepared for such visits.
Then don't MS. You're probably more likely to get a visit from Leo if you try and avoid the reporting than you are by being reported.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:49 pm

This store does not have enough turnover. Also a complete turnover risks ruining the previous good relationship I have. This seems directly related to a new policy I believe from the company (possibly the same reason walmart is changing), because the paperwork they had hung up before is down. I don't think more time will matter. I can certainly unload cards inconveniently if necesasry, but this is the only store that is close enough to make more than occasional money orders worthwhile, unless I try the walmart I used to go to, but I'm literally scared of going back into that store!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:09 pm

Tried to buy MO for $495 and csr asked for name and occupuation, then a prompt for SSN!

I said no thanks!

can the personal info be bypassed for MOs <1k?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Tried to buy MO for $495 and csr asked for name and occupuation, then a prompt for SSN!

I said no thanks!

can the personal info be bypassed for MOs <1k?
When I came in over the weekend and the update had rolled out at my WM, my favorite CSR (who will often break the rules to let me buy more than 1 MO etc) told me that I'd need to give her my ID when buying MO, "there's been a change in the system." I dutifully handed it over, but she quickly handed it back and said the computer hadn't prompted for it. I had speculated that it was because the face value of MO is under 1k. Odd that you got a prompt at $495 though?

This CSR definitely prefers to use the "old" way of selling MO that didn't prompt for names like the new system that was rolled out earlier this year does, so maybe that system is still accessible to CSRs and has different prompt requirements?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
When I came in over the weekend and the update had rolled out at my WM, my favorite CSR (who will often break the rules to let me buy more than 1 MO etc) told me that I'd need to give her my ID when buying MO, "there's been a change in the system." I dutifully handed it over, but she quickly handed it back and said the computer hadn't prompted for it. I had speculated that it was because the face value of MO is under 1k. Odd that you got a prompt at $495 though?

This CSR definitely prefers to use the "old" way of selling MO that didn't prompt for names like the new system that was rolled out earlier this year does, so maybe that system is still accessible to CSRs and has different prompt requirements?
This WM is very tight and I usually don't buy MOs. CSR took a while to get to the screen that she wanted, am not sure if there's another way or the old way is still available.

I bought an MO last weekend for $999.12 with my goto CSR, but she was logged in as a CSM. I'm not sure if the login made a difference why there was no prompt.

That's why I thought I would be ok with $495.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
This WM is very tight and I usually don't buy MOs. CSR took a while to get to the screen that she wanted, am not sure if there's another way or the old way is still available.

I bought an MO last weekend for $999.12 with my goto CSR, but she was logged in as a CSM. I'm not sure if the login made a difference why there was no prompt.

That's why I thought I would be ok with $495.
That cashier decided to do the eMSAR on you on her own. That is the exact same experience I had trying to get some MOs in LAS back in June. One of the WMs I hit took an unusual amount of time to get to the screen she wanted, then started asking for all this info. Once she got to the SSN part I said no chance.

At my go to WM, I've gotten 2 x 999.12 MOs both yesterday and Saturday with no issue whatsoever. BAU. Today at a different one (one I don't hit much as all), I got stopped before we even started when she asked to see the cards. It'd been so long since I was asked that, I didn't have the slight of hand trick ready (not that it would have worked that well, this one has the swipe terminal to the side of the register screen - the CSR can see it easily). She denied the VGCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.