Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
WF ATMs have been nice to me for over a year as you described. but lately it screwed me already 3 times:first time: 08/06/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$999.32 I contacted MO to get MO replacement for $18 fee; 2nd time: 09/04/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$1,998.64 I opened a WF claim which went to nowhere and was just wasting of 3 weeks... I finally contacted MG to get MO replacements for $18 fee for each; 3rd time: 10/01/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$1,998.64 need to get costly MO replacement again
I always deposit in person at my cu. Build a relationship so they know me and get a free coffee each time, plus no hassle. Why would you want to use an ATM?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:27 pm

WF ATMs have been nice to me for over a year as you described. but lately it screwed me already 3 times:first time: 08/06/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$999.32 I contacted MO to get MO replacement for $18 fee; 2nd time: 09/04/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$1,998.64 I opened a WF claim which went to nowhere and was just wasting of 3 weeks... I finally contacted MG to get MO replacements for $18 fee for each; 3rd time: 10/01/18 ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$1,998.64 need to get costly MO replacement again
ur bank is screwing up the transaction. You don’t need a new MO. This is why I keep all receipts/dc/deposit slips..

u contact bank, file claim, they research and say no issue, then you file w/ wu/mg but talk to them on the phone first.

The bank thinks mo was already deposited and it’s returned. Mo was returned bc funds cleared electronically. Mo got stuck in atm until a cleaning or somewhere else. Upon discovering bank places mo in batch. Clearing house runs checks, does not match it to a recent electronic deposit, tries to cash mo for second time gets notified no funds.

its a pita but comes with the territory. It’s more fun explaining $10k. Mo (wu/mg) issue a letter explaining check was presented a 2nd time and then send copy to bank and bank will finally u derstand. Ask for tier II or III accounts reconciliation.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:37 pm

I suspect it varies by banks. I wrote on the MOs to make it darker before multiple times...they got processed by wells Fargo with no issues. but I stopped writing on MOs for a long time.

but lately wells forgo deducted amount from my deposited MOs with light ink,
it shows like this:Expand10/01/18ATM DEPOSIT ADJUSTMENT$1,998.64 it happened to me several times, I opened claims with wells fargo and they didn't resolve the issue after 2 weeks. I had to contact MG to get the replacement with heft fees.

so I am not sure if writing on MO to make it darker can help with wells fargo deposit issue.
my bank tellers will write on the numbers. No real issue if the written amount is legible
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:46 pm

Doing my usual 999.12 x2 today and as the MO's were printing the CSR (yellow vest, I don't know why everyone is so afraid of them) asked if that was all or if I, "had more to do." I told him no and that it was just these two and asked if people do more than the 1 transaction. He said they have a guy who comes in and sits at the counter until he's done 10k. I asked how you get to do that and he said that Loss Protection did a background check on him and decided he was ok to do it. Again I asked how you get to do that and he said he had no idea so maybe I'll ask someone else next time I'm in and report back.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by Hb1500
Doing my usual 999.12 x2 today and as the MO's were printing the CSR (yellow vest, I don't know why everyone is so afraid of them) asked if that was all or if I, "had more to do." I told him no and that it was just these two and asked if people do more than the 1 transaction. He said they have a guy who comes in and sits at the counter until he's done 10k. I asked how you get to do that and he said that Loss Protection did a background check on him and decided he was ok to do it. Again I asked how you get to do that and he said he had no idea so maybe I'll ask someone else next time I'm in and report back.
Dam, why is loss protection involved
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Dam, why is loss protection involved
Someone above mentioned that Loss Protection = Risk Management.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
I always deposit in person at my cu. Build a relationship so they know me and get a free coffee each time, plus no hassle. Why would you want to use an ATM?
Why would I want to waste time, drink bad coffee, and add another unnecessary human interaction on my MS runs?
hi55us and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Thefirst
Why would I want to waste time, drink bad coffee, and add another unnecessary human interaction on my MS runs?
depending on the volume....the higher volume, the better with least human interaction
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA gold
How do you guys deal with a combined situation when both friendly and PITA staff present?
I tried to avoid the pita one as much as I can as I know she doesn't sell me MO with some BS reasons. I don't care. However, when I would be inevitably summoned by that PITA one, I let other customer go and keep waiting for the friendly one. Suddenly, she jumped in our transaction and said "that's why you let other people go first"? Honestly I was surprised how a person can be this gross. Any advice?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

How do you guys deal with a combined situation when both friendly and PITA staff present?
I tried to avoid the pita one as much as I can as I know she doesn't sell me MO with some BS reasons. I don't care. However, when I would be inevitably summoned by that PITA one, I let other customer go and keep waiting for the friendly one. Suddenly, she jumped in our transaction and said "that's why you let other people go first"? Honestly I was surprised how a person can be this gross. Any advice?
Go another time when PITA is not there
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:08 pm

Ms PITA has her eyes set on you, that's mean of her to embarrass you. I've been in situation like that so I don't get in line. At our WMs, there are benches where I sit and tinker with my phone while waiting for unfriendly forces to take their break. I do this only when I'm off and have time to spare. The best time for me that I know UFs are not there is first hour MC opens and the last hour b4 closing. There used to be a Mr PITA at my go-to WM who I've not seen for at least a month so I asked one of the associates and was pleasantly surprised to find out he moved to a WM 50 miles away. One less UF to avoid : )
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

I have a similar situation. I just know that theres a 20% chance that I will have to walk out and return the next day. All part of the game.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:20 pm

What I try to do as well is know when the PITA's schedule and not go during those times. If you see PITA 5 days in a row at 5pm, know not to go at 5pm.

If I do encounter the PITA, then I'm with Davyboyo, there's percentage I know that PITA will be there and I will have to come back another time.

I pretty much avoid at all costs to work with the PITA.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
I’m in Orlando and picked up some Simon GC. Anyone know who sells MO other than WM? 2 WMs turned me down,
thanks
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
Private reply if you are uncomfortable posting here.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.