Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by craz
?? its always been very clear to me, the policy by Wally and everywhere else is an MO must be paid for with Ca$h or a Bank DC with a Chip. Be happy not all csr's enforce that.
GCs *are* (prepaid) debit cards issued by a bank, such as eg US bank.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by digitalpop
Sigh, what an endless game we are forced to play! Endless discussions, varying understanding of policies, different CSRs...

Someone out there in the world knows exactly what MG and WM desire with respect to us MSers and buying MOs with GCs. Some higher, corporate-level people I'm sure. How wonderful it would be if they could just make the policy clear, strict, and straightforward. End all these shenanigans.
I disagree. I'd much rather have some randomness thrown in the mix. It's much better that most CSRs don't know what's what, which may occasionally be against us MSers, but in the long run allows for unicorns, locations that don't follow corporate policy, etc. CSRs turn over which revives dead location, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wyogold
correct, however they are not connected to any bank account thusly even thou it says Debit on them its a GC. Heck at times when making a legit purchase it will go thru as a CC and no pin needed, if it was a true DC youd need to input a pin every time its used. some places wont let a legit DC eg MVD HRBlock be used for MOs, others want a chip! and GCs dont have chips, I believe the likes of MVDs dont either
what it comes down to is if the csr doesnt see a chip or the Banks name written on the face of the card its not considered a DC

If you honestly believe what you wrote I assume you dont do any slight of hand or anything, and simply swipe your card/s in full view of the csr since after all its a DC and you have nothing to worry about, otherwise its a GC
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Fortunately I fill them out as soon as I get them so no one else (theoretically) could cash it.
filling up payee's name, scribbling a signature and endorsement at the back is NOT a guarantee that someone else can't cash it in case you lose it. I've seen cases at the grocery store and cashier also confirmed it that thieves have means to "bleach/wash out" portions of MO and put in their info. IINM, there are certain ink pens that can't be washed out so that may be a good investment to make although it is always best to be alert at all times when handling lots of MOs and/or VGCs.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by craz
if it was a true DC youd need to input a pin every time its used
Good quality entertainment here. DC can use both DC and CC channel with different rate structure.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Good quality entertainment here. DC can use both DC and CC channel with different rate structure.
Which banks DC thats attached to a checking acct will work as a CC and not DC and no need to input your pin when doing a transaction. The banks Ive banked at their DC works as a DC only, while a GC usually works as a CC and no need to input the pin eg at a supermkt checkout, thats w/o me making a choice which way I want it to be used, its automatic
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Yup. Used my local cu DC many times without getting prompted for pin.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

Yup. Used my local cu DC many times without getting prompted for pin.
any amount? I think there's a threshold where you get prompted for a pin.

I only use for small amounts and don't get prompted for pin.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
any amount? I think there's a threshold where you get prompted for a pin.

I only use for small amounts and don't get prompted for pin.
Dc small amounts at local WM don't triggertrigger pin
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by jeffeverde

And finally - work on your social game. The CSR's hate working the returns desk only slightly less than they hate working the register- at least a third of the customers they deal with are trying to pull a scam (and badly). Be the bright point in your CSR's day - learn their names - chat about the bozo ahead of you who was clearly trying to return stolen goods - compliment them on their (haircut, hair color, nose ring, tattoo, etc). If they're clearly an immigrant - ask them about it (politely!) -- express an interest in where they're from. In short, treat them like a person and not just a walking MO dispenser. I know all my regular CSR's names, if they have kids, where they're from, how long they've been here, how long they've worked for WM (it's on their name badge - easy conversation starter) -- and they all know me -- "Hey! It's JeffeVerde! How many MO's do you want today?"
Always good advice to get to know your csr's and treat them with respect, but don't get too comfy. Once that audit hits, you'll be amazed at how csr 's that were like family members now look at you like you're a criminal.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Exactly. The issue here is that what a card has printed on the front should have no bearing whatsoever on how it is run. The networks that run the card, and the information on the card, is what matters.

Ex: Retailers aren't even supposed to ask for ID when using credit! https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c..._card-1282.php
Ex: With PIN Debit, the PIN is intended to be the identification. There should be no need for ID checks.
Ex: The cards run on the PIN Debit networks (Interac, Pulse, Star, etc). If the merchant accepts these networks, then the card should run.
Ex: All cards are Bank Debit Cards. They are all issued by a bank. There can't possibly be a distinction between GC or your Bank DC.
Ex: You can get custom images for the front of a lot of cards. Why should anyone care what the front of the card image/printed is.

So, WM and a lot of issuers have made these policies on their own accord, probably using the "MO issuer reserves the right to decline purchase for any reason" clause of WU and MG.
FrankMS likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by digitalpop
So, WM and a lot of issuers have made these policies on their own accord, probably using the "MO issuer reserves the right to decline purchase for any reason" clause of WU and MG.
Yes, that sums up WM policy per directive of MG. I observed that those stores that went through MG audit became strict overnight and there's nothing MSers can do about it. Best to lay low and skip such stores and find other draining facilities and methods.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:37 pm

My primary WM has lowered their reporting threshold to $2k. Now everytime I do a batch, they fill out their digital form and I input my SSN. F*** extremely annoying. I'm worried this is going to lead to MG blacklisting me. If it's all digital and tied to SSN, what's to keep them from monitoring my activity directly and laying down the ban hammer? Secondary and tertiary WMs have not instituted this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by anonymous99
My primary WM has lowered their reporting threshold to $2k. Now everytime I do a batch, they fill out their digital form and I input my SSN. F*** extremely annoying. I'm worried this is going to lead to MG blacklisting me. If it's all digital and tied to SSN, what's to keep them from monitoring my activity directly and laying down the ban hammer? Secondary and tertiary WMs have not instituted this.
Mines always been 2k. Why not just do 2k per run and not fill out the form?

Luckily for me I have multiple friendly WM by my house and work so I can do a few trips per day if need be.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What I don't get is what prevents you from entering in a phony social (by accident). I haven't gotten the dreaded form yet, but I'm considering doing this technique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.