Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
yes, you can BUT it's a bad idea.

there was one from LAX who posted in this week's reddit MS thread who tried buying MO $999.12 with 2 swipes. Associate asked to see card and he/she showed a real bank DC but swiped VGC. Cashier noticed and called him/her out....BUSTED! MSer went on to question since when VGCs were disallowed to buy MO? well, if that's what they thought, why not just show what you're going to swipe and see what cashier will say? as it is, NO GO for that MSer from thereon, cashiers at that WM will likely be more vigilant in looking at cards being swiped.

btw, it's been mentioned that cashiers can prove the switch with receipt by comparing last 4 of card that were swiped.
very true and if you tell them you will use 1 DC even thou doing a split pay, in most cases Ive found and was told the csr will let you swipe the 2nd time and then compares the #s on her screen and if they arent the same will ask you to hand over the cards used when they see 1 was a GC they simply CX the whole transaction. Im sure sometimes it will work but I find less often then in the past. Doubt if only getting 1 $500 MO or whatever amount that it will be a problem

It will be expensive if instead of $500 GCs one is trying to get rid of $200 or $300 GCs, I found the supermkts around me that have WU, have also been asking to see the GC and usually wont allow split payments

* Ive been told not n/a to me yet, that if you show a csr a reg Bank DC with a pin and then proceed to swipe it since GCs have to be swiped, it sets off an alarm that you are up to something and many times the csr will say to input the card using the pin or ask to see the card

The game isnt dead yet but is getting there, although my gut tells me if they dont hard code their system then a person every so often will get lucky and find a 1 off location
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I can say that I have not had any problem doing split payments at Walmart. I normally buy two $1000 money orders and scan four $500 Visa GC and then pay the MO fee in cash.

I have not had a problem in a long time.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by wharvey
I can say that I have not had any problem doing split payments at Walmart. I normally buy two $1000 money orders and scan four $500 Visa GC and then pay the MO fee in cash.

I have not had a problem in a long time.
And now the whales descend upon your stores in GA...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:20 am

Not MO related but I love when cashiers make up their own rules.

This morning on the way to work I swung by WM to pick up a $100 VGC that I am giving to my wifes cousin for his high school graduation tomorrow. When I got to the only register that was open, the cashier (mid 50's foreigner lady) proceeded to tell me I cannot buy gift cards with credit cards as its "highly illegal and a form of money laundering". I simply told her I was unaware, thanked her for the info and I would need to come back later with cash to grab another one. Took it back to the rack and told her to have a good rest of her day with a smile.

The same WM last week when I tried to buy 3, $500 VGC said I could not do so in 1 transaction and needed to break it up into 3 different ones which caused AMEX to freeze my card due to suspicious activity.

This WM is typically the one that gives me the most grief about MO in my area. And when I say most grief, I am successful probably 80% of time.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by BSpatula31
Not MO related but I love when cashiers make up their own rules.

This morning on the way to work I swung by WM to pick up a $100 VGC that I am giving to my wifes cousin for his high school graduation tomorrow. When I got to the only register that was open, the cashier (mid 50's foreigner lady) proceeded to tell me I cannot buy gift cards with credit cards as its "highly illegal and a form of money laundering". I simply told her I was unaware, thanked her for the info and I would need to come back later with cash to grab another one. Took it back to the rack and told her to have a good rest of her day with a smile.

The same WM last week when I tried to buy 3, $500 VGC said I could not do so in 1 transaction and needed to break it up into 3 different ones which caused AMEX to freeze my card due to suspicious activity.

This WM is typically the one that gives me the most grief about MO in my area. And when I say most grief, I am successful probably 80% of time.
A few weeks ago, (WM that does not allow VGCc), I bought a MO with my reloadable GD then loaded the same card with a VGC.

CSR was ok up to this point. When I asked to load another card, that's when he got suspicious! I forgot the word he used, not structuring but something else. He wanted to make a copy of my load receipt and had to go somewhere else to make a copy.

I didn't say anything and just waited for him to return with my receipt.

He said in the future, buying MO and reloading is no longer allowed.

Go figure!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:54 am

In two of my local WMs (Midwest)I was told by cashiers that now no one can do $3000 or more in MOs anymore...I have never done (nor I ever going to) more than $2000 at a time, but I asked out of curiosity "not even with filling out all that paperwork?" and they said "no, not anymore"...I do not know if it's the new rule or it's a cashier-specific "rule"...but it was in 2 different WMs, so even though it does not apply to me it makes me wonder...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Don't feed the known troll
Didn't know, thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:16 pm

If you do not specify the location, what's the point?

Is it smarter to not post at all? for absolute secrecy? no one will spoil for you.....

Last edited by prasha11; Jun 8, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
I went to my usual wally in the midwest to liquidate a couple of MCGC for the first time following the instructions on the wiki "before the cashier enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select... "
I have to triy a couple of times as the cashier keeps trying to enter the amount as fast as she was able to do so, at one point, she said to me "are you using a credit card?" I replied no I'm using a debit
MC and your system initially recognize them as CC then I proceed to explain to her that she needed to allow me swipe and change the tender to debit before she enters the amount.
The cashier was really nice allowing to purchase 2 money orders.
I still need to practice a little bit more before going all out to other walmart locations. Does any of you have to talk to the cashier about the waiting until you swipe your card first?

Regards
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by josh1573
Does any of you have to talk to the cashier about the waiting until you swipe your card first?

Regards
I let them know I need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit before they hit enter on the amount and that usually works.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:14 am
ra7

I tried in a different Walmart with no money center and one swipe money order was not an issue
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by josh1573
I went to my usual wally in the midwest to liquidate a couple of MCGC for the first time following the instructions on the wiki "before the cashier enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select... "
I have to triy a couple of times as the cashier keeps trying to enter the amount as fast as she was able to do so, at one point, she said to me "are you using a credit card?" I replied no I'm using a debit
MC and your system initially recognize them as CC then I proceed to explain to her that she needed to allow me swipe and change the tender to debit before she enters the amount.
The cashier was really nice allowing to purchase 2 money orders.
I still need to practice a little bit more before going all out to other walmart locations. Does any of you have to talk to the cashier about the waiting until you swipe your card first?

Regards
I don't go into any gymnastics. I don't know what they do on their side, but they enter their stuff and then I swipe. But it may differ from card type to card type.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
A few weeks ago, (WM that does not allow VGCc), I bought a MO with my reloadable GD then loaded the same card with a VGC.

CSR was ok up to this point. When I asked to load another card, that's when he got suspicious! I forgot the word he used, not structuring but something else. He wanted to make a copy of my load receipt and had to go somewhere else to make a copy.

I didn't say anything and just waited for him to return with my receipt.

He said in the future, buying MO and reloading is no longer allowed.

Go figure!

I've had that happen once, where a CSR said no to the GD load after I bought a MO.

Just got back from LAS today. Cycled through 19k in VGCs with a combination of WM, WMNM, and Smith's (Kroger). Only twice did I get resistance, once at a WM who tried to do the eMSAR (sorry, not giving WM my SSN, I just cancelled the tx) and once and a WMNM who let me swipe the first two times for $500 each and only got concerned on the third swipe. I was in both those stores multiple times during the week. I never did more than 2 MOs at a time at any store.

That is the first time I've been hit with the eMSAR. Thanks to this thread, once she asked for my ID (I've been asked for it before, no biggie), and then started typing a bunch of stuff on the register, I knew the jig was up. I just waited for her to ask for the SSN and killed it at that point.

All in all, it was BAU.

Last edited by shadow520; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:26 pm

Had so much trouble with a MCGC today at a WM. I kept asking them to let me swipe and then enter the amount, which they did... but it never seemed to work. I wasn't able to do the cancel change payment as in my old WM so I'm kind of at a loss. Looks like I'll just do normal spend and never ever buy one of these stupid things again.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by pancakeman27
Had so much trouble with a MCGC today at a WM. I kept asking them to let me swipe and then enter the amount, which they did... but it never seemed to work. I wasn't able to do the cancel change payment as in my old WM so I'm kind of at a loss. Looks like I'll just do normal spend and never ever buy one of these stupid things again.
I had major issues a few weeks back with mcgc, but turned out that this hobby is even more ymmv than I realized. It was ymmv even from terminal to terminal. One terminal refused my mcgc but the terminal next to it worked. Went back a week later and turns out that specific terminal that didn’t work before required the mcgc to be swiped the opposite way from what I was used to doing. Worked like a charm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.