Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Walmart dying will be a massive blow. I guess it is better to have loved...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
In my opinion it's more related to split tender VGC usage for MOs. Merchants get charged per swipe, not per purchase. That being the case, your average $999.12 MO at WM purchased via two $500 VGC swipes cost them around $.52 a swipe totaling up to about $1.04 per MO purchase that they are charging $.88 for. That's a $.16 loss per transaction not counting whatever time value you place on the WM employee performing the transaction. Not a lot of money, but it all adds up and companies are not in business to lose money if they can help it. I feel like this was the issue that the PO had with VGCs and MCGCs for MOs as well, though I admit it is just speculation on my part.
If this is the case, I wish WM would just change to charging per swipe instead of per MO.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:04 am

I thought the eMSAR filed and faxed to WM head office was worrisome enough for regular buyers of MOs b2b WMBP but if this hardcoding of ALL debit GCs become reality it'll be a big blow to a lot of MSers. There are already a bunch of 'refugees' from PO that are just warming up to WM and if their area/region is hit by this 'tsunami', hopefully, people will have enough time to drain all the OD/OM GCs they bought last week. Again, it's time to find other options/methods.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:59 am
soy

Programs: various
Not convinced the sky is falling just yet.
We have one DP from a poster that says his WM's were hardcoded. However I had a Meta a month ago that would not work (tried 4-5 times total - different CSRs and WMs), but was no problem at a grocery store. This could be the same deal.

Apart from that, we have DP's about the memo from Corp. We have seen that many times before and it may well be real, but that is very different to hardcode fixes. Perhaps there is a multi-swipe crackdown via memo, but that ship has long sailed in my area so not bothered. I can live with single swipe for what I need to do.

It was BAU for me today for MO and prepaid loads, including the double beep which first appeared last week.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by soy
We have one DP from a poster that says his WM's were hardcoded. However I had a Meta a month ago that would not work (tried 4-5 times total - different CSRs and WMs), but was no problem at a grocery store. This could be the same deal.

Apart from that, we have DP's about the memo from Corp. We have seen that many times before and it may well be real, but that is very different to hardcode fixes. Perhaps there is a multi-swipe crackdown via memo, but that ship has long sailed in my area so not bothered. I can live with single swipe for what I need to do.

It was BAU for me today for MO and prepaid loads, including the double beep which first appeared last week.
I hope you're right. Think the multi swipe/GC no longer allowed was just memo I hope and not hard coded. My order from last week hasn't come yet, so I'm waiting. At least my Groc is still working (just did my weekly 5% OBC 2k run).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Still bau 2 x 2 x 999.12 at my wm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
Still bau 2 x 2 x 999.12 at my wm
Region/State?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Region/State?
Southern Wyo
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by soy

I have 5 USB VGCs that would not swipe (ex: the terminal would indicate the amount due, but when I would swipe, it would not register the swipe), but I have this feeling that it may have been a bad batch of cards, as the USB CSRs were aware of an issue.

I then used a Meta and it worked perfectly, so just be aware that both the cupcake and black VGCs are having issues, which is probably most of my local supermarkets are either running low or are completely out of the VGC.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
Southern Wyo
Still bau today for loading my Serve Account with Meta VGCs in Kansas City (two swipes).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:20 am

Looks like the WM sky is falling here. I just went to 3 WM in western va and all had the double beep in place. VGC (from GC.com & GCM.com) was unable to process as debit. Started with 999.12 MO and errored out. Loaded a BP...double beep.. errored out.. tried 499.12 MO..errored out. thought it was just a WM issue so i went to my backup super market and it gave a an error of unable to process payment when trying to get a MO. The super market was also a moneygram site and card were purchased from GC.com. Looks like it's a moneygram coding issue. guess im packing my bags and heading further west.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Looks like the WM sky is falling here. I just went to 3 WM in western va and all had the double beep in place. VGC (from GC.com & GCM.com) was unable to process as debit. Started with 999.12 MO and errored out. Loaded a BP...double beep.. errored out.. tried 499.12 MO..errored out. thought it was just a WM issue so i went to my backup super market and it gave a an error of unable to process payment when trying to get a MO. The super market was also a moneygram site and card were purchased from GC.com. Looks like it's a moneygram coding issue. guess im packing my bags and heading further west.
How many VGC? Could you have gotten bad batch? Did you activate them (i know people should know here, but ran into someone who had only purchased from GCM.com before and not GC.com and never activated them)?

Has the only DP's been from VA regarding hard code?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Dardack

Has the only DP's been from VA regarding hard code?
RobertHanson provided DP's from SoCal a few posts back. His reports are credible, but it is definitely not happening in all of SoCal.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
RobertHanson provided DP's from SoCal a few posts back. His reports are credible, but it is definitely not happening in all of SoCal.
Thanks, I had seen his DP's but for some reason in my head bout Northern VA.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
I know this is the MO thread, but has anyone had success loading serve at a location that has recently stopped accepting gebit for MO?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.