Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
My closest Walmart MO machine is still down. Signs posted.
I think I have to add this location to my blacklist and never return.
went in yesterday to my local WM and the MO machine was down as well. So I just did a BP, but then before the last swipe they made me fill out an MSAR again. I might put this WM on my blacklist as well. An MSAR each time I go regardless MO or BP is rather annoying.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I am rather new to MOs so please bear with me. If I am understanding correctly, to buy a MO with a MCGC you need to swipe first and then change payment to debit, now this needs to happen before the representative enters the amount. How do you guys do that? I have only bought a couple of MOs and each time they ask me the amount even before I swipe.

One other thing, do the MCGCs issued by Meta (specifically OneV) work at Walmart?

thanks guys
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by carofly
I am rather new to MOs so please bear with me. If I am understanding correctly, to buy a MO with a MCGC you need to swipe first and then change payment to debit, now this needs to happen before the representative enters the amount. How do you guys do that? I have only bought a couple of MOs and each time they ask me the amount even before I swipe.

One other thing, do the MCGCs issued by Meta (specifically OneV) work at Walmart?
The WIKI has some details that might help, so I would read that and do your best to understand it. Mention to the clerk you need to change payment to debit before they enter the amount and after you swipe you need to quickly select change payment or the cancel button. OneV only work for amounts under $49 at a time, so they are no good at WM, but maybe a grocery store.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Travelz
The WIKI has some details that might help, so I would read that and do your best to understand it. Mention to the clerk you need to change payment to debit before they enter the amount and after you swipe you need to quickly select change payment or the cancel button. OneV only work for amounts under $49 at a time, so they are no good at WM, but maybe a grocery store.
Thanks, Travelz. I was wondering if I should say something to the agent; it makes sense now.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
San Diego is dead but having occasional luck Oceanside and San Marcos.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Stopped into the WM in town on my way home yesterday. Usually an easy 1 MO stop and the bank is right next door. MO center cashier immediately asked what kind of card I would be paying with after i gave her the amount. Said "visa debit", she asked to see the card and then informed me "We don't take these". I decided to play along with some innocuous questions back. Apparently "since forever" is when this policy has been in place. She is one of 4-5 employees who I usually see at the MC, so I will stop back by today and see if other associates are upholding the same policy.

Not the end of the world for my purposes if this fishing hole dries up, other places to liquidate around town. But this one was pretty convenient.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jtav559
Stopped into the WM in town on my way home yesterday. Usually an easy 1 MO stop and the bank is right next door. MO center cashier immediately asked what kind of card I would be paying with after i gave her the amount. Said "visa debit", she asked to see the card and then informed me "We don't take these". I decided to play along with some innocuous questions back. Apparently "since forever" is when this policy has been in place. She is one of 4-5 employees who I usually see at the MC, so I will stop back by today and see if other associates are upholding the same policy.

Not the end of the world for my purposes if this fishing hole dries up, other places to liquidate around town. But this one was pretty convenient.
I'm convinced that MCs have different corp mgmt as they always seem to have stricter policies. When I visit a new WM and see one, I spin around and exit.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by compddd
Is San Diego a dead zone now?
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Claremont is dead, but YMMV at other Walmarts.
It's definitely a YMMV now, but it seems that there is an enforced $3k limit per person now (in the IE)...however, that doesn't mean I can't go to another WM that's literally 2 miles away.

Ex: Last Friday, I was feeling adventurous and was working on liquidating $4500. First WM said "I can only do $3k and 6 swipes or management gets mad," so I only do the 3 and leave. I then go to the other WM and proceed to liquidate, and while I was waiting for the MOs to print I asked if the $3k limit was a district level thing and she replied "yes, because people were taking up too much time."

So it seems, yet again, that this is why we can't have nice things.

ETA: If you're up for a day trip, I know that WMs in the IC are still good places
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.

Last edited by fgirard; Apr 12, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:13 pm

Went to a WM SuperCenter I have never tried to get a MO from. Told the CSR in the Money Center that I wanted a MO for $999 and that I wanted to use two debit cards, the first one for $500 (I was using Simon Metas). I swiped the first one and then chose No cashback as I normally do. The swipe-pad beeped twice and then the ordinary screen to enter my PIN popped up. The CSR immediately said "it sounds like you're using one of those prepaid cards." I played dumb and she repeated it and said that WM is getting picky about allowing prepaid cards (i.e. VGCs) to purchase money orders. She said she wanted to give me a heads up that WM may start disallowing their use to buy MOs. I got my MO, thanked her and went on my way.

I realize that with WMs, it's YMMV. However, I have been noticing at other WMs in my area there's the same quick double beeping noise after I swipe my VGC and choose No cash back. At first I thought there was something wrong, but it allowed me to put in my PIN and pay for my MO, so I stopped being concerned about it. Now, it makes me believe that it may be a way that WMs are identifying the use of VGCs. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is a new thing at the WMs in my area and it seems weird that the CSR immediately concluded I was using a VGC after she heard the double beep. Maybe this is old news, but I didn't see any other posts about it in the last couple of months. Anyone else noticed this?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by fgirard
It's definitely a YMMV now, but it seems that there is an enforced $3k limit per person now (in the IE)...however, that doesn't mean I can't go to another WM that's literally 2 miles away.

Ex: Last Friday, I was feeling adventurous and was working on liquidating $4500. First WM said "I can only do $3k and 6 swipes or management gets mad," so I only do the 3 and leave. I then go to the other WM and proceed to liquidate, and while I was waiting for the MOs to print I asked if the $3k limit was a district level thing and she replied "yes, because people were taking up too much time."

So it seems, yet again, that this is why we can't have nice things.

ETA: If you're up for a day trip, I know that Brawley, El Centro and Calexico are still up for MOs.
The max amount of swipes is 4. Are you saying she did 4 swipes for one transaction of 2k in MOs and then did another transaction of 2 swipes for a 1k MO. I would love to be able to do 6 swipes for 3k in one transaction and get out of WM quicker.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by cruisr

The max amount of swipes is 4. Are you saying she did 4 swipes for one transaction of 2k in MOs and then did another transaction of 2 swipes for a 1k MO. I would love to be able to do 6 swipes for 3k in one transaction and get out of WM quicker.
Yup, that's exactly what happened, I did 4 for $2k, then while the MOs were printing, she keyed up $1k and 2 swipes later, I was walking out with 3 MOs for $1k each.

However, I'm finding that if one goes to a fairly busy WM, or at least one with a fairly busy MC, the CSRs will care less as management is more concerned about clearing the line and transaction speed.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by carofly

if you're new to buying MOs with GCs, I suggest to stay away from MCGCs when you're draining them at WM. They're a pain to drain as experienced by a lot of MSers, even the veterans. If you have grocery stores to drain them, it's best to go there; IF, however, WM is your only place to drain, the only way I drained MCGCs is either to drain them in just one transaction, i.e., load to Serve/BB or if I have Visa GCs and do split tender transaction, the MCGC is the LAST one I swipe so that even if I don't tell cashier how much is on it, the full amount is drained if it tallies with the remaining balance. I do NOT advice using split tender with MCGCs, best to do single swipes with the cancel/change payment tactic.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if you're new to buying MOs with GCs, I suggest to stay away from MCGCs when you're draining them at WM. They're a pain to drain as experienced by a lot of MSers, even the veterans. If you have grocery stores to drain them, it's best to go there; IF, however, WM is your only place to drain, the only way I drained MCGCs is either to drain them in just one transaction, i.e., load to Serve/BB or if I have Visa GCs and do split tender transaction, the MCGC is the LAST one I swipe so that even if I don't tell cashier how much is on it, the full amount is drained if it tallies with the remaining balance. I do NOT advice using split tender with MCGCs, best to do single swipes with the cancel/change payment tactic.
I have noted that some Neighborhood Markets have different payment terminals where you must slide the card in a vertical rather than horizontal position. For these, the change payment option is not selectable for MasterCards, even if the cashier doesn't key the partial tender. The MasterCards are rejected here due to being run as credit.

The stores with payment terminals (Verifone) where the card is swiped in a horizontal position that have the three blue arrow lights will work for split tender of MasterCards as long as you can hit the yellow change payment button before the cashier keys the partial tender amount, but at many locations the cashiers believe that the partial tender amount must be keyed BEFORE the card is swiped and will get upset and demand you cancel if you swiped the MasterCard before they keyed the amount. Although their belief is completely wrong, it is not possible to buy MOs with MCs as it will default to credit and print an error message. It is much easier just to use Visa GCs at Walmart.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by kciflyer
Went to a WM SuperCenter I have never tried to get a MO from. Told the CSR in the Money Center that I wanted a MO for $999 and that I wanted to use two debit cards, the first one for $500 (I was using Simon Metas). I swiped the first one and then chose No cashback as I normally do. The swipe-pad beeped twice and then the ordinary screen to enter my PIN popped up. The CSR immediately said "it sounds like you're using one of those prepaid cards." I played dumb and she repeated it and said that WM is getting picky about allowing prepaid cards (i.e. VGCs) to purchase money orders. She said she wanted to give me a heads up that WM may start disallowing their use to buy MOs. I got my MO, thanked her and went on my way.

I realize that with WMs, it's YMMV. However, I have been noticing at other WMs in my area there's the same quick double beeping noise after I swipe my VGC and choose No cash back. At first I thought there was something wrong, but it allowed me to put in my PIN and pay for my MO, so I stopped being concerned about it. Now, it makes me believe that it may be a way that WMs are identifying the use of VGCs. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is a new thing at the WMs in my area and it seems weird that the CSR immediately concluded I was using a VGC after she heard the double beep. Maybe this is old news, but I didn't see any other posts about it in the last couple of months. Anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed the double beep since a few days. Was wondering what's up with it .. so there's no double beep with a regular debit card?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
I've noticed the double beep since a few days. Was wondering what's up with it .. so there's no double beep with a regular debit card?
same here, very loud and annoying, wasn't present last week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.