Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, Ihg, Delta, Iberia, American, Southwest
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Update on my story: checked the cards, funds are back.
I had a very similar situation last week.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I am 99.9999% what I will say will apply to you as well. Once the employee presses all the buttons after full payment has been made and it takes the $$$ off the card/s thats it, it will NOT go back onto the card?s no matter what anyone says. Meta or Blackhawk will 100% see a full transaction has been completed the fact that the MO didnt print is of no concern to them (and rightly so)

Look on your receipt towards the bottom I think is there a line saying how much you are due as a - (minus) Mine did, but my mgr never dealt with it and asked I come back the next day so the Cash Room can deal with it, no can do I had an Intl flight. Called and he said I wasa correct and when I return to stop by and p/u the ca$h

My suggestion to you is go back to that store and ask for the mgr and ask that they check with the cash room person to see ifd the $$ indeed was refunded by Meta or Blackhawk it wont be and they will have to give you a ca$h back.

FWIW my receipt had Void in a couple of places as well, to no avail as I said once the employee presses the ;last button on their end for the MO to print the funds are gone and wont be returned to the card/s used

This is the only negative about getting MOs when travelling and why I no longer will do it unless I have 2 biz days left before my flight out
Wow this sounds scary - I hope I won't have any problems. I will go today right away
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
BAU in my WM. Did 4K today as there was nobody in line behind me.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
went to my local money center tonight at 7:50pm. when i was getting ready to swipe for my 295.68 money order with my $300 meta visa, the cashier stepped away to block off the money center because it closed at 8pm. when she came back to the POS, it looked like things timed out on her end. so i swiped again and got insufficient funds (or whatever equivalent error). tried again and no luck, obviously. called gift card mall and they told me it was debited. i didn't go back to the cashier (it was after 8 anyway and she was gone), got no receipt because from her POV it looked like nothing went through. what do you all recommend as a course of action? sort out with the store or dispute the charge with gift card mall? and if i sort out with the store, how do you get around the CSR who will yell at me and say that pre-paid aren't allowed?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by mc0107
went to my local money center tonight at 7:50pm. when i was getting ready to swipe for my 295.68 money order with my $300 meta visa, the cashier stepped away to block off the money center because it closed at 8pm. when she came back to the POS, it looked like things timed out on her end. so i swiped again and got insufficient funds (or whatever equivalent error). tried again and no luck, obviously. called gift card mall and they told me it was debited. i didn't go back to the cashier (it was after 8 anyway and she was gone), got no receipt because from her POV it looked like nothing went through. what do you all recommend as a course of action? sort out with the store or dispute the charge with gift card mall? and if i sort out with the store, how do you get around the CSR who will yell at me and say that pre-paid aren't allowed?
Same issue I had tonight around 6PM Pacific. Hopefully someone has had this experience before and knows what to do or if it's just a wait and see thing. Otherwise I think it's a call their cash office with time and date to see if you can get it refunded.
mc0107 likes this.

Last edited by Clcmin; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mc0107
and if i sort out with the store, how do you get around the CSR who will yell at me and say that pre-paid aren't allowed?
Why do they need to know that it's a prepaid card? As far as you (and they) should be concerned, you paid for a MO with a debit card, were charged, and didn't receive your MO. If the charge went through on the store's end, the cash office should show a surplus when they go to reconcile the register.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by stevenmirabito
Why do they need to know that it's a prepaid card? As far as you (and they) should be concerned, you paid for a MO with a debit card, were charged, and didn't receive your MO. If the charge went through on the store's end, the cash office should show a surplus when they go to reconcile the register.
thanks. was just assuming that they'll want to see the card i used to look up the transaction. i'll give them a call. as you might imagine, when faced with the potential of losing money, even if for a brief period of time, it can cloud normally logical thought!!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:38 pm

Since these issues come up a lot lately, I added this to the Wiki. Feel free to modify anything.

-If the system suddenly breaks down and you don't get your MO, make note of the time of day and the register & clerk helping because the money may or may not return to your cards. Talk to a cash manager if the money does not return to your cards which might take 3-10 days.
-If they are able to cancel the transaction before the transaction is complete, the money returns to the cards right away.
-If they have to cancel the transaction after, the cash drawers opens automatically and they pay you in cash and you save 88 cents.
mc0107 and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:12 pm

MOs are .88 now?!?! Ugh.. Just found out today.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by benny08
MOs are .88 now?!?! Ugh.. Just found out today.
Still $0.68 cents in my two Wallys
mc0107 and cajunguy like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've had a couple of times that the money didn't come back to the card until the next day. However, after using literally thousands of GC's, I've never had the money go missing and not gotten the product I paid for.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Only time it happened to me, when the machine froze after printing the MO, but NEVER printing the receipt, the Money was back on the VGCs after one hour.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:18 pm

No problems buying another MO here in Chicago. The fee increase caught me off guard, so I just got one for $499.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:13 am

When I tried to use the M/V GC issued by usbank, the cashier most likely typed the amount faster in register than I changed the payment type to debit. Sometimes, I was able to change payment before cashier input the MO amount successfully, but the cashier kept to complain that I should swipe card after she finished the order.
I am so surprised that some msers can do a splitting payment with MGCS issued by US bank. Any one can help me to make purchasing more smoothly? Thanks and appreciate it.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mytf
When I tried to use the M/V GC issued by usbank, the cashier most likely typed the amount faster in register than I changed the payment type to debit. Sometimes, I was able to change payment before cashier input the MO amount successfully, but the cashier kept to complain that I should swipe card after she finished the order.
I am so surprised that some msers can do a splitting payment with MGCS issued by US bank. Any one can help me to make purchasing more smoothly? Thanks and appreciate it.
Your answer is in the wiki! no way around it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.