Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by trueblue84
Thanks. I'm checking with their hot line but the MO status is not updated yet. Does walmart has ability to void a check? My walmart CSR doesn't have that knowledge but MG teleprompt said you cannot place a hold.
The likelihood someone has already found it and cashed is low. As soon as the MO number and status can be checked over the phone (at most 24hrs), file MoneyGram claim. Walmart employee would call MoneyGram just like you would and you can do it much sooner from home.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Tried to get MO from WM yesterday from VGC purchased from GCM. Tried 3 cards and all of them got Error 51. went 2 times with 2 different CS reps and same thing. after the transaction I called to check the balance and it was available. Anyone else having issues with WM MO?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by spidy1
Tried to get MO from WM yesterday from VGC purchased from GCM. Tried 3 cards and all of them got Error 51. went 2 times with 2 different CS reps and same thing. after the transaction I called to check the balance and it was available. Anyone else having issues with WM MO?
No problem for me with GCM VGC yesterday.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:05 am

very common error when CSR doesn’t know how to split payment. 51 is not enough funds available. Try 499.30 and it will go through.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:07 am

No issues buying MO at WM today
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:56 am

BAU buying MOs, loading to prepaids and paying WM credit card. I paid with GCM VGCs.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:03 am

If you were paying the fee separately, make sure cashier enter it so new balance will show as $500 before you swipe your GC. If you're doing split tender with two swipes, this is very important especially with last swipe if balance of $500.70 is being charged on the 2nd card that has only $500. Sometimes, you also have to be wary of cashiers who deliberately enter the wrong amount for whatever reasons and try another time with those you've had a good experience who know what they're doing.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:16 am

Buying visa gcs at jewel osco issued by metabank. I hope it works fine at Walmart. Can someone confirm it?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Buying visa gcs at jewel osco issued by metabank. I hope it works fine at Walmart. Can someone confirm it?
as long as your WM allows VGCs, it'll work. If you have one of those stores that do not accept VGCs for MO or loading to prepaids, it won't work even if it's issued by MB.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
as long as your WM allows VGCs, it'll work. If you have one of those stores that do not accept VGCs for MO or loading to prepaids, it won't work even if it's issued by MB.
thanks for quick reply. Started with 1 card and got MO from WM just fien.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:51 am

BAU buying MOs, loading to prepaids and paying WM credit card. I paid with GCM VGCs.
Which prepaids are still working? Tried to send you a PM but it's disabled for your account.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Which prepaids are still working?
AXP ~ 1VIP, Green Serve, BB, WMpref are still working for me. The WM credit card I'm paying is from Synchrony which can be paid at regular registers.

I've disabled my messages for now.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by southfl954
I had similar "host timeout error" experience in WM with one of my debit cards. After a few unsuccessful dealings with WM accounting and their Home Office, I filed a dispute claim with Blackhawk through [email protected]. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a replacement debit card in the mail within a week!
just filed mine. Crossing finger..
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:10 pm

AXP ~ 1VIP, Green Serve, BB, WMpref are still working for me. The WM credit card I'm paying is from Synchrony which can be paid at regular registers.

I've disabled my messages for now.
any way to still get the wmc preferred?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by makelab
any way to still get the wmc preferred?
WM discontinued the pref money card early 2017, IINM and they've been pushing the 3/2/1 money card that can earn up to $75 per year. If the 3/2/1 card has met their expectations, I don't think they'll bring back something like the preferred card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.