Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Bidu
Tried to purchase MO with my go to friendly CSR using simon and got F9 - debit not available. Checked the available balance on card, $500
any data point for today?
The most common reason for this is that the CSR entered an amount greater than the value of the GC you were using. If you were buying just a single $500 MO, she may have keyed in the entire amount plus the fee ($500.88) which also will result in an F9 error for a $500 GC.
Next time, either bring to her attention that you will be paying the MO fee with something other than the one GC you are using or subtract the fee from the MO and buy a $499.12 MO.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by briang191
i think she was more upset about not receiving a receipt but we all read things differently.
Pretty sure the receipt was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. She was livid over not being allowed to do more than one transaction, which is understandable, but what she proceeded to do was not. Anyone who's been in this game for any amount of time should know just to thank them and move on, and not bring attention to themselves. And that kind of behavior is probably what gets most locations shut down rather than the whales themselves. It's sorta amazing that she did all of that, took the time to think about what happened and write about it, and til the end she didn't see anything she did as wrong.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:15 pm

BAU today at my local WM (NE Detroit area). CSR did say all MOs in one transaction, which is fine because I can count on 1 finger the number of times I've ever tried to do more than one MO transaction (and that was at a Smith's in LAS). I have several WMs easily accessible to me, I don't rock the boat by trying more than 1 transaction. The CSRs are starting to get to know me as it is and I prefer to fly under the radar, although not having to explain splitting tenders is nice.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

got error code 51 (insuf funds) today and my CSR has never made mistake by entering amount over 500 and she swore she did put 500. Must be some internal issue with their terminals or she did actually pressed wrong button. Who knows. I waited 5 min and next time everything worked just fine on the same register and with the same CSR.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:48 pm

Data point from S FL today Aug 12. Went to a NM and successfully purchased a $599.12 MO w 3 Visa GCs from recent OD Bonanza. FWIW it technically still can be done at NM if you get a cashier who understands how to tender it up in their POS system. I simply explained that I'm only able to do $200 at a time on my DC but need a $599.12 MO.. Asked up front if that would be ok and friendly cashier said yes. This was about 5 min before the MC was closing.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Last week, it was BAU at my new go-to store, but I needed to exchange a few items at the WM that is closest to me and there was a guy arguing with the CSM about purchasing MOs. Apparently he wanted to get 3 x $1000 MOs with 6 swipes, but he had come in earlier in the day and already had 2 x $1000 MOs, and the local limit was $2000/4 swipes.

Once again, this is why we can't have nice things
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fgirard
Last week, it was BAU at my new go-to store, but I needed to exchange a few items at the WM that is closest to me and there was a guy arguing with the CSM about purchasing MOs. Apparently he wanted to get 3 x $1000 MOs with 6 swipes, but he had come in earlier in the day and already had 2 x $1000 MOs, and the local limit was $2000/4 swipes.

Once again, this is why we can't have nice things
Its not only wallys, my reg supermkt chain is great, Fri Im told by the old lady ca$h only, I so wanted to rip out my receipt from Thurs that shows DCs can be used, I simply said TY and I dont have the Ca$h on me I will get it and come back. Went back after shift changed and walked out with an MO

It doesnt matter if Im right and they are wrong once the csr says something they arent going to back down, just move on to the next place and/or come back during another shift. yea it stinks but alot netter then the place going 100% Ca$h only
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by kirkpd
For the Walmarts that do allow multiple transactions/money orders, is there a Walmart policy before you have to fill out paperwork? I generally use $200 cards so each transaction is $799.12 How much is a safe amount before paperwork is needed?

Is there any reason not to fill out paperwork?
YMMV. Some above $3k, some for one transaction.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 pm

Debit card machine was down today at my go-to store. This seems like a nationwide occurrence? Can anyone provide a DP otherwise?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:50 pm

No one was negatively impacted. In fact, my reporting of the AM is why I (and several other people who MS at this location) get to continue buying $10k worth of MO's despite the policies being implemented elsewhere. I'll cop to sounding like a jerk in that post, but I spoke to the store manager (who has known me for years) very calmly and was able to get an exception for MS'ers.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:45 am

Can CVS vanilla visa gift cards by MO at walmart?

I apologize if this has been answered. I did spend several minutes attempting to locate the answer as I don't want to clutter up this very valuable thread or waste anyone's time. I noticed CVS in my area of LA has Vanilla Visa gift cards. can they be used to buy a money order at Walmart? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:49 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by GregBen
I apologize if this has been answered. I did spend several minutes attempting to locate the answer as I don't want to clutter up this very valuable thread or waste anyone's time. I noticed CVS in my area of LA has Vanilla Visa gift cards. can they be used to buy a money order at Walmart? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Answer is in the wiki
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by sonicsmash214
Debit card machine was down today at my go-to store. This seems like a nationwide occurrence? Can anyone provide a DP otherwise?
My usual WM had it's MO machine down yesterday as well.
Happens on a routine basis. I just move on to another WM and wait for the repair to be made.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:55 am

My use to be go to spot has had their MO machine down for over 4 months now.

Obviously found somewhere else to go lol
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA gold
Any BAU DP after this noon? BAU in store A this morning. But got unable to process debit error just now in store B. Nothing wrong with the card I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.