Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
Yep, mine too. One CSR was complaining about how they still needed to enter the last 4 of the MO number and it was slower, so it was a PITA.

The ID/SSN is only for the eMSAR. The CSR initiates this if they think the transaction is questionable. I had this happen once at a WM in LAS. Sorry, I'm not giving my SSN to WM for anything, and certainly not for a MO.
In these cases my SSN unfortunately happens to get mistyped
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
San Diego is dead but having occasional luck Oceanside and San Marcos.
multiple swipes or just 1?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
No VGCs for any money transactions, including MO's, BP and loads
BB still a go? That's always been my fallback option
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

Did my store switch to the new system, or is this something new? CSR said she worked the MoneyCenter last night and this morning there was a totally different procedure, which she had to hunt and peck her way through.

1. Money Orders came up under a different menu on her display. On my side, the register display said something like "MO UNDER FC MENU."

2. The MO went through and printed out as usual. Regular (ie old) MO stock, regular MO language (no "gift" language on the MO itself).

3. The MO validation process changed. Instead of typing in the last 4 digits of the MO serial number, now they type in the four digits BEFORE the last number. IE:

Old system: MO SN is 1209802932. CSR types in "2932" to validate the MO.
New system: MO SN is 1209802932. CSR types in "0293" to validate the MO.

4. The system generated two receipts. One, a standard WM receipt, and the other labeled "CUSTOMER COPY" with full transaction details on it and contact info for MoneyGram.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Did my store switch to the new system, or is this something new? CSR said she worked the MoneyCenter last night and this morning there was a totally different procedure, which she had to hunt and peck her way through.

1. Money Orders came up under a different menu on her display. On my side, the register display said something like "MO UNDER FC MENU."

2. The MO went through and printed out as usual. Regular (ie old) MO stock, regular MO language (no "gift" language on the MO itself).

3. The MO validation process changed. Instead of typing in the last 4 digits of the MO serial number, now they type in the four digits BEFORE the last number. IE:

Old system: MO SN is 1209802932. CSR types in "2932" to validate the MO.
New system: MO SN is 1209802932. CSR types in "0293" to validate the MO.

4. The system generated two receipts. One, a standard WM receipt, and the other labeled "CUSTOMER COPY" with full transaction details on it and contact info for MoneyGram.
This is a new update to the new system. Some of my local WM's have this new update, some don't. So some are using the old system (though those numbers are dwindling), some are using the new system without the latest update and some are using the new system with the latest update.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

Does the new system accommodate the traditional workaround for MCGCs? When I tried recently, CSR told me she couldn't split tender after I swiped MCGC, said there "wasn't a place" for her to enter the $500 amount that I wanted.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:08 pm

Lol, I had the "new system" experience last night. CSR had trouble entering the last 4 digits, got locked out due to too many tries. Yellow vest came over and unlocked the computer and they figured out that they need to not include the last digit inside the box. I paid with MC as usual but did not split tender
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
My non-primary local WM is now using the new system, and asking for my ID. My primary one is still using the old system.
Happen yesterday 1st time in south florida. Cs filled out paper with my ID and asked for phone #. gave her google. She said no problem buying but now they are keeping track- not good.... this only applied to split payments
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Avios, UA, DL, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Rapid Rewards
new system works with change payment for MCGCs . they also can split tender and enter amount after you change payment type to debit
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
No VGCs for any money transactions, including MO's, BP and loads.

Tri-state area
Thanks. I'm upstate by a few hours, haven't had this happen yet.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:26 am

BAU yesterday morning North of Albany
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by josh1573
I have the same experience in a couple of Walmart in the Midwest; I think base on my experience that Walmart is doing it when you purchase more than 2000 in MO however some employees are eager to implement the data collection for just 2000 worth of MO
You can either provide you SSN or passport I told them no thanks I went back to both locations later during the week and I got my 2000 dollars with 4 swipes with no issues, of course different CSRs this time YMMV...
it seems cashier/CSM can decide to fill out the eMSAR report or not for 2 MOs even <=$2k
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

Tried to get a MO today at the Walmart I've been to several times and the cashier asked me "That's not a gift card, is it?" and was acting like she wanted to see it. I said "shoot, I left the right debit card at home" and bailed.

Went to another Walmart and was able to get one without any issues.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by coolguy100
it seems cashier/CSM can decide to fill out the eMSAR report or not for 2 MOs even <=$2k
they can decide for any amount.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:12 pm

Has anyone had luck using the Dining Everywhere VGCs since the update or any other variations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.