Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by devastitis

I will try again and report back.
just report the Mcgc defective and they will mail you a check for each of them. Takes about 30-45 days and can be as little as 2 weeks
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:10 pm

Did anyone have this happen to them? Deposited $xx,xxx.xx into WF’s ATM. Typed in the amount correctly and im sure of my total. Next day, the deposit went through but there is an ATM adjustment amount of $600. How would you proceed with situation like this to get the $600 back. Obviously they messed up. But i don’t want to make a big deal such that they would shutdown my MOs deposit for the future.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by misenlai
Did anyone have this happen to them? Deposited $xx,xxx.xx into WF’s ATM. Typed in the amount correctly and im sure of my total. Next day, the deposit went through but there is an ATM adjustment amount of $600. How would you proceed with situation like this to get the $600 back. Obviously they messed up. But i don’t want to make a big deal such that they would shutdown my MOs deposit for the future.
Hi, not exactly the same situation but similar, I deposited 2 mo at WF ATM, I had done this dozen of times and for the first time this week, I noticed that my balance was adjusted down 1000 dollars.. I went to the branch and they explained that there's a company that WF uses to collect the MO from their ATMs and the wrote in the bank system that they were not able to read the MO. I proceed to ask the csr
at the branch for the rejected money order and he just said I'm sorry but they do not keep the check/MO rejected by their system, he was however able to give me a copy of the rejected MO that I used to apply for a replacement MO on the moneygram website, albeit 18 dollars lighter because of the replacement fee. Fast forward and two days later I got a call from the bank apologizing for the inconvenience and
explaining that they will reimburse me the 18 dollars replacement fee!
I'm still waiting for replacement MO and at this point my advice to you is to get to the branch where you deposited the MO and ask for a copy of the MO just like I did and verify how much of the MO was deposited on your account and then open a case to track the remaining balance. btw our main bank is ch@se; I've been depositing between 8 and 10 K monthly or 18 months.

Good Luck
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by josh1573
Hi, not exactly the same situation but similar, I deposited 2 mo at WF ATM, I had done this dozen of times and for the first time this week, I noticed that my balance was adjusted down 1000 dollars.. I went to the branch and they explained that there's a company that WF uses to collect the MO from their ATMs and the wrote in the bank system that they were not able to read the MO. I proceed to ask the csr
at the branch for the rejected money order and he just said I'm sorry but they do not keep the check/MO rejected by their system, he was however able to give me a copy of the rejected MO that I used to apply for a replacement MO on the moneygram website, albeit 18 dollars lighter because of the replacement fee. Fast forward and two days later I got a call from the bank apologizing for the inconvenience and
explaining that they will reimburse me the 18 dollars replacement fee!
I'm still waiting for replacement MO and at this point my advice to you is to get to the branch where you deposited the MO and ask for a copy of the MO just like I did and verify how much of the MO was deposited on your account and then open a case to track the remaining balance. btw our main bank is ch@se; I've been depositing between 8 and 10 K monthly or 18 months.

Good Luck
i don’t have any MO for $600 so im assuming they mistype a number off by $600. If thats the case i expect that MO will be rekected down the road unless moneygram let u cash for less than the amount. This sucks. My deposit consisted of 15 MOs. I hope they know which one is the issue.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Lots
Call in and get them to investigate. It won't affect your stance with the bank. I've done it maybe 5x already, as their ATMs and the fading MO ink don't mesh all the time.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:59 am

Second one in my area, southern Massachusetts, this week though luckily not the closest or only WM near me. One of the friendly yellow vests there told me the the store manager claims they were told to do so by corporate "As a security measure due to a major increase in fraudulent MO purchases via debit cards." Another one bites the dust

Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Prometheus77
Second one in my area, southern Massachusetts, this week though luckily not the closest or only WM near me. One of the friendly yellow vests there told me the the store manager claims they were told to do so by corporate "As a security measure due to a major increase in fraudulent MO purchases via debit cards." Another one bites the dust

I had one give me the same song and dance about "corporate rules" for getting MOs. I went away with nothing. My wife went at another shift on another day and it was BAU except they made her do $1000 (2 swipes) at a time rather than $2000 (4 swipes).

My suggestion is to try again some other day and other shift to avoid the staff that refused you in the first place.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Brahs not sure what I'm going to do if we lose WM MOs. I may actually have to get a job and that's just not really feasible right now.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous99
Brahs not sure what I'm going to do if we lose WM MOs. I may actually have to get a job and that's just not really feasible right now.
lmao are you serious? How much MSing are you pushing monthly?
jpan84 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:00 pm

Today, in Sterling, VA, around 4:30 PM, I used a giftcards.com Visa GC with my name on it. I had scratched out the word "gift" on the card, and the card, with the word "debit" on it didn't look particularly gift-like, though it was cardboardy and unembossed. The lady at the counter said they couldn't accept "store GC" (I think that's what she said) because it wasn't a bank debit card, but then she asked a yellow vest, to whom I explained I had an ID matching the name on the card. The yellow vest gave the thumbs up, and I had no further problems.

By the way, it was $19.18 MO + $0.88 fee to liquidate the Blackhawk Metabank card from giftcards.com, which I had used beermoney funds to buy, so not really MSing.

Last edited by jpan84; Jul 4, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: Add detail
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:39 pm

stop drinking soy. Grow a pair of balls. Call WF. Adjustment could be for a number of reasons. They will reconcile ur account. Just wait until the adjustment comes 60+ days after your original deposit. It happens. Simple solution. Deal with it.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:56 am

BAU at my local WM yesterday in SE MI. Tried another local one on Tue, but they had a note on the door saying the MO machine was down, so I never even went inside.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; American Airlines Platinum; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold
I just bought one in CLT. Didn't even ask to see the cards (first place in CLT).

It seems to be location specific.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by amiras
Tried to buy MOs yesterday and was told Corporate suspended all GC transactions for MOs and bill payment. Anybody heard that? I'm in VA.
I was turned down at the Tysons VA store - will try somewhere else.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:22 pm

BAU in LI, NY. I was able to do 3 swipes ($500 each) with MCGC's, it was my first time trying multiple swipes with MCGC's. The CSR was saying wait for me to put in the amount but I just ignored them all 3 times. I swiped waited a second or 2 and pressed cancel, then hit the debit button and put in my pin and waited at the cash back screen and pushed "No" cash back once the CSR put in the amount each time. I didn't feel like taking the time and possibly confusing, the already slightly confused CSR about me having to swipe first. I just showed it can be done first hand.

I find that YMMV a lot because one place I go too was inspecting cards one month and then the same people that were inspecting didn't care (old or young) the next month. On the other hand 2 WM's that were 5-15 miles away never inspected. The inspection sucks but I really don't like to wait in a long line and finding out the MO machine isn't working because someone couldn't write a note.

Last edited by joeaseer; Jul 6, 2018 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.