Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Travelz
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 18, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by craz View Post
WM is a problem so why go there?? I simply go to the supermkts that issue MOs, only thing is they wont allow split payments, so I go to chain that charges $.59. Id even pay a $1 since this week its been $0 fee at Staples, no need to pig out and try to swipe 4 at WM for $.88
WM is the only location I can liquidate in my area that I know of (SE MI). Kroger is cash only.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by craz View Post
WM is a problem so why go there?? I simply go to the supermkts that issue MOs, only thing is they wont allow split payments, so I go to chain that charges $.59. Id even pay a $1 since this week its been $0 fee at Staples, no need to pig out and try to swipe 4 at WM for $.88
Some of us do not have stores in the area that sell 0.49c money orders. Where I am, the "cheapest" money order fee is $1 for a money order under $500, and $2 for a money order between $500 and $1000 (and increases after that), and no split payments allowed. It adds up. And even though I hate WMs, I view them as necessary evil. At least for the time being.
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:20 am

Has anyone had this experience? -
Normally I deposit my WM-bought MOs to a local credit union, but this time I made a stupid mistake of mailing them for my CC payment. At the time I had all the right "excuses" - I was far from the nearest CU branch, I had a CC bill for $1999.80 (almost $2000) and 2 x $1000 MOs in hand. So I thought - what's the harm? I'll make a copy of MOs, keep the stubs and just mail them.
In a few days, on my CC's website I noticed that only one out of two MO is posted as payment. Apparently, the machine that opens payment envelopes "lost" the other. I know the machine is designed for only two items - payment coupon and check/MO. But on a few occasions in the past I mailed 2 different checks for payment, and they were processed just fine.
For now my CC company issued a temporary credit while they are investigating, but what are the chances of them finding it? I think it might be in a shredder by now.
I understand I need to call Moneygram now...or WM where I bought the MOs?...
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:02 am

Is Walmart MO not working anymore like the Post Office?
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Shadow Rider View Post
Is Walmart MO not working anymore like the Post Office?
Is this a trick questions?
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by in4tar View Post
Some of us do not have stores in the area that sell 0.49c money orders. Where I am, the "cheapest" money order fee is $1 for a money order under $500, and $2 for a money order between $500 and $1000 (and increases after that), and no split payments allowed. It adds up. And even though I hate WMs, I view them as necessary evil. At least for the time being.
So stop being so darn Greedy,, again I was referring to the Staples feeless MCs this week and Office Depots $15 off = not paying any fees for the cards. So if you normally paid $6.95 the last 2 weeks it was $0, so big deal paying a $1 for an MO, IMO its alot better then having to play games at a Wally and maybe end up burning the location or thusly becoming very well known to that Wally, as you end up swiping the card before the csr does their thing and constantly will ask you not to, yet to beat their system a person will have to ignore what the csr is asking

Personally Id rather pay $2 instead of $.88 and not ruin a reg Wally location I use a few times, a week especially since the cards are fee free or profitable anyways. Id rather look at the forest and not the single tree in front of me
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BSpatula31 View Post
WM is the only location I can liquidate in my area that I know of (SE MI). Kroger is cash only.
wasnt referring to anyone who has Only Wallys that can work for them
Old Apr 27, 18, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by BSpatula31 View Post
I've had success at Meijer. No love at Kroger tho. Some KMarts worked also, while there were stores still in my area (all closed now). There are other options, but not as many as some other areas that can use Kroger or other major chains that we don't have here.
Old Apr 27, 18, 4:44 pm

Normally I deposit my WM-bought MOs to a local credit union, but this time I made a stupid mistake of mailing them for my CC payment. At the time I had all the right "excuses" - I was far from the nearest CU branch, I had a CC bill for $1999.80 (almost $2000) and 2 x $1000 MOs in hand. So I thought - what's the harm? I'll make a copy of MOs, keep the stubs and just mail them.
In a few days, on my CC's website I noticed that only one out of two MO is posted as payment. Apparently, the machine that opens payment envelopes "lost" the other. I know the machine is designed for only two items - payment coupon and check/MO. But on a few occasions in the past I mailed 2 different checks for payment, and they were processed just fine.
For now my CC company issued a temporary credit while they are investigating, but what are the chances of them finding it? I think it might be in a shredder by now.
I understand I need to call Moneygram now...or WM where I bought the MOs?...
I had a mail-in payment get lost in the mail once and I had one not get credited to my account. In the first case, I had to eat about $75 in fees to get the MOs refunded from Western Union. Wrote it off as a cost of doing business. In the second case I had to pay $30+ for copies of the cancelled MOs from WU/MG and then send them to Citibank. In the letter with the MO copies I told them since it was their error, I expected to be reimbursed for the fees. They credited my account. So, while aggravating, in the end I was out nothing.

You can call MG/WU and see if the MOs have been cashed. If so, you'll probably need to get copies like I did in case #2 . If not, you'll likely need a refund after the bank doesn't find them.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:43 pm

Programs: Qantas, Southwest, Chase Ultimate Rewards, SPG, Hilton
BAU in Middle Island NY
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by shadow520 View Post
I had a mail-in payment get lost in the mail once and I had one not get credited to my account. In the first case, I had to eat about $75 in fees to get the MOs refunded from Western Union. Wrote it off as a cost of doing business. In the second case I had to pay $30+ for copies of the cancelled MOs from WU/MG and then send them to Citibank. In the letter with the MO copies I told them since it was their error, I expected to be reimbursed for the fees. They credited my account. So, while aggravating, in the end I was out nothing.

You can call MG/WU and see if the MOs have been cashed. If so, you'll probably need to get copies like I did in case #2 . If not, you'll likely need a refund after the bank doesn't find them.
no, the money order (Moneygram) was not cashed. Since there were 2 of them in the envelope, and one successfully posted, my guess is that the second one ended up in a shredder (or whatever they do with empty envelopes, because I am sure it was just left there).
I will have to fill some forms and pay around $20 to Moneygram in order to be refunded. Money is not such a big deal, but the hassle is very annoying. Since it's the CC company's fault , should I ask for something extra, like extra miles to be posted to my account? Or is it asking too much?
Well, in any case it's a lesson to me - not to mail MOs for payments ...
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:03 pm

no, the money order (Moneygram) was not cashed. Since there were 2 of them in the envelope, and one successfully posted, my guess is that the second one ended up in a shredder (or whatever they do with empty envelopes, because I am sure it was just left there).
I will have to fill some forms and pay around $20 to Moneygram in order to be refunded. Money is not such a big deal, but the hassle is very annoying. Since it's the CC company's fault , should I ask for something extra, like extra miles to be posted to my account? Or is it asking too much?
Well, in any case it's a lesson to me - not to mail MOs for payments ...
probably says not send more than one check per envelope
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:19 pm

Normally I deposit my WM-bought MOs to a local credit union, but this time I made a stupid mistake of mailing them for my CC payment. At the time I had all the right "excuses" - I was far from the nearest CU branch, I had a CC bill .....
Personally, I just would have held on to them until I could deposit them -- too many things that can wrong when doing what you did. You also could have cashed them at WM (for a small fee), but then you'd have to carry around cash.
Old Apr 29, 18, 11:48 am

I read of a case where the MSer deposited via ATM and several weeks later the bank clawed back the amount saying the envelopes were empty! The MSer didn't keep his/her stubs and had to "eat the loss" since they've thrown away all receipts. Best to save MO receipts/stubs/bank receipts in situations like this.

I prefer depositing via app, scan using desktop or deposit with teller while also keeping stubs of MOs I deposit and staple them with receipts that I can easily retrieve in case of bank discrepancies weeks/months later.
Old Apr 29, 18, 12:26 pm

For some of us the app doesn't work with MOs because of the low contrast ink. But of course receipts and stubs should be saved when Ms-ing at volume, if nothing else for the perhaps unlikely case the taxman cometh.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: