Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
WM in socal next to goodwill store used to be unicorn but now the unicorn dead.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:33 pm

Does the sunrise bank issued visa gc work at wm
to get money irders?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:42 pm

Does anyone know if the new MO method prints the MO numbers at the bottom of the receipt? Today one of my stores tried the new method on 1 MO and it got stuck fo about 10 minutes after the MO printed. Then eventually a receipt printed. No MO number at the bottom like when useing the old method. It didn't print the other smaller receipts to sign. Just have some concerns about this MO which I just deposited. Wish I could remember what the smaller receipts said beyond just getting a signature.

So, I called MG Automated system at 800-542-3590, but even the other MOs that were printed via the old method are getting the "not updated in system" message. I'm assuming the MO number is just the number following the R

Last edited by cdog999; Mar 14, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Bidu
WM in socal next to goodwill store used to be unicorn but now the unicorn dead.
The one next to rallys? They were 2k limit per day for over a year and they died to one card a couple months ago. I went there daily.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Does the sunrise bank issued visa gc work at wm
to get money irders?
anyone, please help, need to get bunch of MOs, and suddenly Jewel-Osco doesnt have Metabank issued cards anymore and only kind they have in Sunrise bank issued VISA GCs.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

anyone, please help, need to get bunch of MOs, and suddenly Jewel-Osco doesnt have Metabank issued cards anymore and only kind they have in Sunrise bank issued VISA GCs.
Be the DP you want to see.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Lots
why not do some research on Sunrise bank gift cards?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:08 pm

they should work just like metas. PIN is last 4, but read the insert to make sure.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Did my first MO of 2018, fees went up from .70 to .88.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:46 pm

Me too! Today I go to my WM. There is NO paper sign that says CASH ONLY. New fee of 88 cents. I drain. All working OK. I'M BACK BABY!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
are u near a large metro city? bc here in NOVA the whales travel in herds!!
NOVA is horrible. I moved out of the area last June and now live in a smaller town in FL. It is so nice to go to an OD during their $10 specials and actually have plenty of GC in stock. A few years ago I was at the Tyson WM and they sold so many mos that their system hit capacity. There was a time they allowed up to 20K in mo per day.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:50 pm

Three stores near me that I frequent, two of them have not shown any signs of switching to a new system, but one of them (the newest store of the bunch) has had their money order machine down for roughly three weeks with no estimate in sight of when it will be back. I have learned to call ahead and ask the CS person if the sign that says money orders are down is still up before I head out.

On the bright side, while standing in line for the money orders, one of the cashiers who recognizes me took the time to tell me that the fee went up to .88 and I'd have to decrease to 999.12 for an even transaction.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:02 am

My 3 go to WMs allow one MO transaction per day now. Lots of running around now a days. I hope they don't program the system against gebits, that would be a bummer.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the MO fee went up 18 cents! luckily my cashier was cool, and let me do a third swipe on my bank card for the extra amount.

now i have to memorize $999.12. i updated the wiki.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntjane66
NOVA is horrible. I moved out of the area last June and now live in a smaller town in FL. It is so nice to go to an OD during their $10 specials and actually have plenty of GC in stock. A few years ago I was at the Tyson WM and they sold so many mos that their system hit capacity. There was a time they allowed up to 20K in mo per day.
There is no doubt that this game is easier in small towns than big cities. Heck, if we all thought it would last a few more years, there would probably be more flyertalkers moving out to the country.

Originally Posted by riphamilton
the MO fee went up 18 cents! luckily my cashier was cool, and let me do a third swipe on my bank card for the extra amount.

now i have to memorize $999.12. i updated the wiki.
Does anyone know if this MO thing is actually profitable for Walmart? 88 cents still isn't big money. I would think there was much more money in those wire transfers I always see (especially with more than 7 percent of the USA population being illegal aliens).

And I wonder how much fraud is connected to redeeming gift cards for MOs, which I presume Walmart has some liability for. Is this a transaction that fraudsters/criminals actually do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.