Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by 41Pak
Hi im a rookie to all this so any help would be appreciated. I have 4 US Bank vgc variable up to $500 and 3 US bank mgc for $200 each. None of them have been activated i thought i got it through but apparently not hence all my transactions have not been going through from sending MO,WU,MG. Even at retail stores (WM, Kroger and Walgreens)its getting declined. So if anyone can tell me how i can activate these at self check or any register please let me know!! And i tried registering and changing pin none of them worked for me so im stuck with the pin the came with all these gc. Once i can finally have these activated will i be able to start making MO,WU,MG then? Oh and i tried 4 swipe debt trans that didnt work either. So somebody who knows what to do please pm me privately or leave a reply. Thank u
Wow!
Start Here:

New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017-2018)

Last edited by ninim2200; Feb 11, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:13 am

somebody who knows what to do please pm me privately or leave a reply. Thank u
Aka please spoon feed me God forbid I have to do reading.

Apart from that, bau at my wm, 2 x 999.3 paid with 4 x 500 vgc
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
told me yesterday that a memo went out from corporate earlier this week and they can no longer accept VGCs for MO purchases.
I have a feeling that the 'memo from corporate' is an excuse that they know you cannot argue with. Like I use the 'my wife won't let me' excuse sometimes when I just want to get out of something. In other words, 'I am just following orders from the higher ups'.

To us, whatever the real reason, if CSRs wont take GCs, then that's how it is. Let it cool down for a while, HUCA with another CSR another day another shift.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

ninim2200??
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

wyogold i dont mind the reading just wanted someone to explain it better to me to be honest. Because whatever im doing isnt working and i dont want to mess things up.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA gold
wyogold i dont mind the reading just wanted someone to explain it better to me to be honest. Because whatever im doing isnt working and i dont want to mess things up.
Then you simply dont read enough yet.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:26 pm

Im gonna keep reading till i figure it out then..lol
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Hi im a rookie to all this so any help would be appreciated. I have 4 US Bank vgc variable up to $500 and 3 US bank mgc for $200 each. None of them have been activated i thought i got it through but apparently not hence all my transactions have not been going through from sending MO,WU,MG. Even at retail stores (WM, Kroger and Walgreens)its getting declined. So if anyone can tell me how i can activate these at self check or any register please let me know!! And i tried registering and changing pin none of them worked for me so im stuck with the pin the came with all these gc. Once i can finally have these activated will i be able to start making MO,WU,MG then? Oh and i tried 4 swipe debt trans that didnt work either. So somebody who knows what to do please pm me privately or leave a reply. Thank u
If the bolded part is true, you CANNOT drain them by any means, even if you use them as credit at POS because they're not activated properly (if that is really the case with your USB GCs). Sorry to tell you but you picked the wrong GCs to start with since they have a lot of issues and they get hacked with funds stolen if you don't drain them quickly.

You have to call the number at the back of the card and talk to a rep who will tell you what to do to activate them properly. Hopefully, you have NOT thrown away your receipts and the packaging because you need that as proof you bought the GCs. Go from there and see if they resend you activated cards or if they can activate the cards you have. Do NOT go back to the stores where you bought them, they cannot help you. ONLY the card issuer can help with issues of activation. Good luck!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lots
SO just told me at a WM that only allows one swipe for MO and one BP, a CSR helped a customer do several MOs using a stack of cards. Must be nice to have an in with the CSRs.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Had an issue today. MOs printed but VGCs were not charged. Instead register opened for cash. CSR spit payment in cash by pressing wrong buttons i think. Manager came, created fake SKU for $2000 (tax included) and charged my VGCs again. Then did return with cash so register was balanced.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
As with all MS and especially WMs it’s YMMV. My WM has come back from the dead more than Lazarus. So went back this week to see its health status. Was able to do on different days, 1k, 3k and today 2k. The CSR who did all of them told me today from now on only 1 transaction of 2k maximum will be allowed. I’ll wait a while and go back and see if she forgets what she was told.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
I have a feeling that the 'memo from corporate' is an excuse that they know you cannot argue with. Like I use the 'my wife won't let me' excuse sometimes when I just want to get out of something. In other words, 'I am just following orders from the higher ups'.

To us, whatever the real reason, if CSRs wont take GCs, then that's how it is. Let it cool down for a while, HUCA with another CSR another day another shift.
Unfortunately, the memo is real. One WM that I used to visit taped the memo next to each register in the money center.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
My usual go to Walmart in the Tri-State area where I've been a regular for some time and the cashiers are familiar with me and what I am doing told me yesterday that a memo went out from corporate earlier this week and they can no longer accept VGCs for MO purchases. I agree, this may be the last year for MSer's
The information that there's a memo from corporate that is instructing CSRs to reject GC comes up almost every year; you just need to do a search for it and you will find that in some instances the "memo" was actually printed and for a while and then someday it was ok to use GCs again. I go to WMs in the Midwest and I can share that some WMs are not MS friendly at all, and they do not even mention any
"memo" to explain their policy ;-(..
If Wally really wants to stop the use of the c@rds they just need to copy the PS actions...
As many individuals before had mentioned in this forum always have alternative methods of liquidation in case wally is no more..

Good Luck
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
One thing I hate about this time of year is WM around here likes to put their "cash your tax refund check here!" ads on the top side of the pin pad which gets in the way of my smooth VGC swiping ability I know its a petty complaint but its annoying.

bau at my normal WM, though they have moved over to the new system in the last couple weeks.

Edit: 2 days later they have moved back to the old system already. lol

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 11, 2018 at 5:10 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Bad day today. Went to WM. There was a new money order person. I noticed a hand-written piece of paper taped to the MO desk it said "CASH ONLY FOR MONEY ORDER." It was hard to see it unless it was your turn and you walk up. I said, I need money order but I don't have the cash, can't I pay with debit card? She say, not right now. I did not argue and left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.