Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
well I am learning about DOSH.. cant find a list anywhere ..even their website as to what establishments accept dosh? I see WM and Walgreens.. what about CVS BJ Stopandshop shoprite?? Thanks to all.
The big ones for me are Sam's Club (2%, $20 max) and CVS (1%, $10 max). Both in-store only, per rolling 24 hours. The default rate isn't so great, esp since CVS lowered from 2% to 1%, but both often run specials where they're more valuable. Dosh at Sam's stacks with Uber Local Offers (4% as uber credit, includes uber eats)

Don't see Walmart on mine, which is weird since they're so connected to Sam's Club. Don't see Walgreens, I think people use the Spent app there.
Don't have BJ, Stopandshop, or shoprite anywhere close to me, so can't say anything about them. As someone else said, download the app and see what's available where you live.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: mileageplus
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
another MS friendly WM died today in my area. Mngr said they had some issues and no more GCs are accepted.
are you in Chicago? Bc this was told to me today. It’s not just the cashier, I’m a regular and they said no more gift cards. Can still Billpay though. I’m at a loss- please advise!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Danielle Drummond
are you in Chicago? Bc this was told to me today. It’s not just the cashier, I’m a regular and they said no more gift cards. Can still Billpay though. I’m at a loss- please advise!
Stores do go offline every once in a while for various reasons. If that is the case, try back once a month or so. They usually come back online after a few months.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by knopfler
Stores do go offline every once in a while for various reasons. If that is the case, try back once a month or so. They usually come back online after a few months.
All my WM girls love me and wife. Last MGR was no more. New MGR cares not. Give it time and try again later. Use time to find new spots. MS is work (well... a little)!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: mileageplus
Originally Posted by knopfler
im really friendly with the staff, and they know what we’re doings they said the registers have been hard coded that the cards have to be connected to a bank account. Im not sure how this is possible but they said all the cards used are being reported monthly??
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

im really friendly with the staff, and they know what we’re doings they said the registers have been hard coded that the cards have to be connected to a bank account. Im not sure how this is possible but they said all the cards used are being reported monthly??
A lie. I can confirm this is a lie as I and wife dumped a bunch of $200 OD VDGCs i.e. GE and DE cards a few hours ago. YMMV when it comes to WM folks
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 pm

Drained SE and GE cards at WM today at 8:30am pst
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:52 am

the registers have been hard coded that the cards have to be connected to a bank account. Im not sure how this is possible...
yes, this is definitely possible since USPS was able to reject all VGCs, only allowing DCs (attached to a bank acct) a year ago that is why it has been dead for MS activities since then. I'm sure WM can do the same IF (big IF) they want to, but it may affect a lot of other services they offer that's why they chose to limit sale of MOs with ID check.

I prefer to lay low and avoid ID check since I'm not comfortable with it and I still have prepaids to load for free.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Today my favorite WM told me they are now allowing only 2 swipes. I was trying for an $800 MO with 4 $200 VGCs.

Fortunately, I have a lot of other WMs that will accommodate me, but still it is a royal PIA for me.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Id say OK so let me swipe and see what happens, of cause they have the means on their reg to botch it up and cover themselves so final result will still be Denied
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Mamibear
yes, this is definitely possible since USPS was able to reject all VGCs, only allowing DCs (attached to a bank acct) a year ago that is why it has been dead for MS activities since then. I'm sure WM can do the same IF (big IF) they want to, but it may affect a lot of other services they offer that's why they chose to limit sale of MOs with ID check.

I prefer to lay low and avoid ID check since I'm not comfortable with it and I still have prepaids to load for free.
Just wonder what other services would be affected if WMs disallow GC and change to bank DC only? Some of my local WMs already enforce this policy and they check cards. Buying MOs at those places with GC is dead. I see more would be coming.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Drained 3x $500 at my local WMNM this morning and their new policy is $8000 max per 24 hour period with a $1000 limit before copying ID. It doesn’t bother me that much because I know everyone there and the system is so slow that the CSR can complete the ID capture and the MOs will have just finished printing.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Dropping like flies. One Walmart that was friendly told me I can no longer buy MOs there as they said they went through an audit and they have to refuse sales to people that come in regularly. I said I give my information for each transaction but alas they said that is not enough that they can't anymore (they even busted out the S word). Last time waited a year and things were good again.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by cdog999
Dropping like flies. One Walmart that was friendly told me I can no longer buy MOs there as they said they went through an audit and they have to refuse sales to people that come in regularly. I said I give my information for each transaction but alas they said that is not enough that they can't anymore (they even busted out the S word). Last time waited a year and things were good again.
Yes. Another WM just told me today that the debit card has to have bank name on it and she checked cards. This is MC and it applies for both MO and reloads....

But I did find a place that sells MO at $1 each up to $500. It requires cardholder name on card and PIN based. I'll take it.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: MR, UR, , AA, SW, KF, UA, DL, BC, C1, Wyndham, Star, Marriott
Originally Posted by Renes Points
A lie. I can confirm this is a lie as I and wife dumped a bunch of $200 OD VDGCs i.e. GE and DE cards a few hours ago. YMMV when it comes to WM folks
Is it the store on Broadway? I ask bc I was there and told the same thing, but I actually think it's a store policy and one not likely to change any time soon. Here's why, first I've been in lines 4 deep of people doing exactly the same thing. The store has known all about ' the game' for months, in fact I've heard people tell the cashiers what they were doing in explicit detail (not sure why one feels the need to do this). The cashiers abd mgrs didn't care- that is until Walmart corporate added the requirement to document dl#, which added time and frustration to the cashiers who were complaining about it. My guess is, they collectively thought the time spent and compaining of it from the CSRs to be not worth the $.88 they collect for the transaction and said no mas. I really can't say if theyve programmed it into their register or if they just are instructing the csr to say that and not take the GCs. But for u and me, it's irrelevant bc the end result is the same and unlike others are advising I highly doubt this a wait a month and let it blow over kind of thing. And that's because of the volume io people that have been coming at this place and will continue to do so.
So it's where to now? I've not been successful in finding any other store Walmart or competitor in the area who will sell MOs for GCs and God knkno, I've tried. So if u or anyone else know well, I'd love to know...
Maybe a Walmart GC for compensation!😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.