Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Does Passport work for MO? Had a person today deny me due to my driver's license being "fuzzy." Yellow Vest came over and said that yes I need to get a new license. I even comapred it to another employee there and mine was less worn than hers. The person that denied for this reason always has an annoyed look on her face like she hates life. I'm guessing she would say the passport looks fuzzy as well but figured I'd ask. License is good enough for TSA but not her lol.
A passport is apparently acceptable ID for MOs (I asked but have not used one myself). I was told however that they still need to capture address info, which is not on passport, so they prefer DL or state ID.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:59 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by knopfler
It does not have to be one visit. If you make four visits of $2k each today, you will be declined tomorrow morning if you try to purchase another $2k before 24 hours has passed since the first purchase.
4 WM visits a day? That's every 6 hours to go to WM.
Even one visit once a week would make me feel depressed.
cajunguy and RedSun like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
A passport is apparently acceptable ID for MOs (I asked but have not used one myself). I was told however that they still need to capture address info, which is not on passport, so they prefer DL or state ID.
Thanks. I guess I'll just make sure to have it on me in case i get an over-zealous cashier and then whip it out if need be.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
Do you really purchase $8K in MOs in 24 hours during one WM visit?? That's 16 VGCs!
This is why WMs ban MSers.
yup!! greedy folks here will ruin it for the "regulars" who are satisfied with 2 999.12 per day. greed will kill it
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:09 pm

Walmart negative :money order

I’m not sure whether new rules just come out . Cashier denied to do the transaction with split payments . She mentions that memo just come out that she doesnt suppose to take separate payments for money order or bill pay anymore .
Any thought?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by sendlena
I’m not sure whether new rules just come out . Cashier denied to do the transaction with split payments . She mentions that memo just come out that she doesnt suppose to take separate payments for money order or bill pay anymore .
Any thought?
Ran into the same thing today at one of the WMs in my area. Got the same "memo" line from the yellow vest. Drove 10 minutes down the road to a different WM and it was business as usual. Might just be the WMs where there is heavy MS going on that gets the memo. Who know?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sendlena
Any thought?
I just went to WM one around my area.
Had no problems with doing split. Each Simon card had 500 each and did 1500. One MO was 500 other one was 1000.
had a really cool cashier really helpfull.
Was told over 3k need pass port or another ID or SSN.
And its 10k a day max. seems like no one is really doing it much if at all at this location.
But I think I’m do more on my websites on back end With gift cards. And order cards for the compines in bulk. And leverage the spending on lending for amex and website sales lending. All ways looking for ways to leverage things.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by JDP69
I just went to WM one around my area.
Had no problems with doing split. Each Simon card had 500 each and did 1500. One MO was 500 other one was 1000.
had a really cool cashier really helpfull.
Was told over 3k need pass port or another ID or SSN.
And its 10k a day max. seems like no one is really doing it much if at all at this location.
But I think I’m do more on my websites on back end With gift cards. And order cards for the compines in bulk. And leverage the spending on lending for amex and website sales lending. All ways looking for ways to leverage things.
Did you do the $1.5k in one single transaction and they did not ask for your DL? If so, that is the first WM that I have heard of that has not implemented the new policy.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
yup!! greedy folks here will ruin it for the "regulars" who are satisfied with 2 999.12 per day. greed will kill it
MG now has an easy way to control totals. They can easily lower the limit to $2k per 24 hours if they want, so I think you are safe. I doubt they would go lower than $2k.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by craz
True but 'troyhouse' said they asked for an MO for 995 + .88 is well below $1k and no reason for the csr to have asked for DL. Ive gotten MOs for 999.08 and not asked for a DL since it was below $1k
If someone is asked for ID for one MO below $1k including fees, it is definitely manually done by the CSR and not automatically done by the terminal. There were several WM's in my area that did that before the new software was implemented, but they stopped asking for info for under $1k after the new limits were implemented. There are still some WM's (or more specifically some CSR's) around here that won't even sell you one $499 MO if you don't have a DC with your name on it. So it's always YMMV. Each WM, and each CSR can and will make up their own rules if they so desire.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
If someone is asked for ID for one MO below $1k including fees, it is definitely manually done by the CSR and not automatically done by the terminal. There were several WM's in my area that did that before the new software was implemented, but they stopped asking for info for under $1k after the new limits were implemented. There are still some WM's (or more specifically some CSR's) around here that won't even sell you one $499 MO if you don't have a DC with your name on it. So it's always YMMV. Each WM, and each CSR can and will make up their own rules if they so desire.
let me clarify, i started with $1000 MO and it popped up the message, so I asked him to change the amount to $995 to avoid any complications, and it worked fine. This is $1000 trigger, I believe. For my suntrust delta spend, I always used to get $3900 MO with a single swipe but now I will have to make 4 trips to get 4k miles. getting more and more difficult.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:35 am

How many heavy hitters do you think are buying 8K plus a bunch for 999 each day? I think there are at least 2500 across the US. I think they might lower the limit after a few months because that is the easy way to handle it. Most people get MO's for rent and 4K sounds like it would work. We buy 2K at a time so the new limits really don't affect us much.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travelz
How many heavy hitters do you think are buying 8K plus a bunch for 999 each day? I think there are at least 2500 across the US. I think they might lower the limit after a few months because that is the easy way to handle it. Most people get MO's for rent and 4K sounds like it would work. We buy 2K at a time so the new limits really don't affect us much.
f you are only getting $2k once a month you probably will slip by, however if youre getting $2k even once a day x days a week, you probably wont slip by in the end, since MG will have a hard time figuring why you need $2k more then once a month. But I can be wrong, I just think/feel that MG will eventually shut down those folks whom they cant figure out why they are buying at a reg basis the exact same amount and exact same number of MOs
RedSun likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by craz
f you are only getting $2k once a month you probably will slip by, however if youre getting $2k even once a day x days a week, you probably wont slip by in the end, since MG will have a hard time figuring why you need $2k more then once a month. But I can be wrong, I just think/feel that MG will eventually shut down those folks whom they cant figure out why they are buying at a reg basis the exact same amount and exact same number of MOs
I do not know how many HTs out there. Maybe more than 2,500. There are also many more who do $100k+ per year regularly. Getting hotel or airline elite status is one thing, profiting from the credit reward arbitrage is another thing. MO is about the only game in town for the HTs to profit from the game.

I'm just lucky that I've never seen any HTs when I visited stores. I won't be happy if I see any HT tying up the line. Most stores have low limit on daily loading. Several of them have started to check the cards regularly and will turn away anyone who has the Debit on the cards. The last WM I visited in low income area has huge lines everywhere and it is impossible to do anything.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt, AA, Southwest, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by briang191

has to be $1000 or more before Walmart fees.
For total purchase price (including 88 cent fee). $999.12 should trigger it.
I want to try buying $499.99 giftcards and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.