Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:30 am

Will there be a problem if I buy 2K each at two WM on the same day? They ask for ID. Are they going to file a SAR on the 2nd purchase, or is there a hard daily limit?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by NikSem
Will there be a problem if I buy 2K each at two WM on the same day? They ask for ID. Are they going to file a SAR on the 2nd purchase, or is there a hard daily limit?
I think the hard daily limit is $8000 per day
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:52 am

$8k hard limit per rolling 24 hours to be exact. So if you buy $8k in the afternoon, you will still be blocked out the next morning if you attempt to purchase $1k or more of MO. Another thing to consider is that many WM's will only allow one overall transaction, but it's YMMV for sure.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Are you sure about that? When I did 999.12 + 0.88 fee, no ID was asked and the cashier said it's 1k and up and that it's the MoneyGram requirement, not WM. Based on that, I figured that the MO itself has to stay below 1k, regardless of whatever the fee WM is charging. So if you get a friendly "Cheryl" (i.e. she's ok with more than 1 transaction), it seems you can do a few 999.12's without ID, just multiple transactions.
Tested it out this morning. $999.xx MO plus fee for a total of exactly $1k including fee. No ID required. This was in DFW area. Most of my local WM's will not allow multiple transactions however, so around here if you want more you have to visit another location.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:10 am

I think MoneyGram has bigger fish to fry that worry about two 2k MO's purchased at different locations, and it won't be WM, at least in this case. Since MG doesn't interact with you directly to observe "suspicious behavior", they put a limit of 8k just in case, but that doesn't mean you're safe. I don't know what their analytics team is doing, but if they are looking for ML patterns in somebody's behavior, staying within limit won't necessarily help you, the low volume will. It's like one 9 k cash deposit won't do much, several of them, and especially at different locations, might get you in trouble of having to explain what you're doing. This is how I understand it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
Tested it out this morning. $999.xx MO plus fee for a total of exactly $1k including fee. No ID required. This was in DFW area. Most of my local WM's will not allow multiple transactions however, so around here if you want more you have to visit another location.
That has been my experience as well. So the "no ID max" is $ 999.99 for the MO itself, regardless of what the WM fee is. Multiple transactions is a function of who you get for the cashier, not Walmart, and the cashier's likelihood to sell you more than 1 MO is a function of your social engineering skills : )
jeffeverde likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
That has been my experience as well. So the "no ID max" is $ 999.99 for the MO itself, regardless of what the WM fee is. Multiple transactions is a function of who you get for the cashier, not Walmart, and the cashier's likelihood to sell you more than 1 MO is a function of your social engineering skills : )
There are velocity limits which will enforce ID at 999.99 just an FYI...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:01 pm

The new ID requirement has hit my go-to WM. The CSR was going to try to ring up 2x999.12 in 2 separate transactions to avoid the ID requirement, but it still prompted for ID on the $1000 total. I told him I knew about the requirement and to go ahead and do it in one transaction. I've only had this CSR a couple times, but he seemed to remember me and was otherwise friendly about the transaction. It's been almost a week since I was there last. I don't go daily, so I'm not too concerned about the daily limit or the ID requirement, although I will be acutely aware as I prefer to fly under the radar and I might alter my purchases from time to time to avoid the ID.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

Is the ID requirement $1000 inclusive or exclusive of fees?

I keep seeing $999.12 asked for ID and then $999.12 and asked for ID.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
some stores Id trigger is>=1000 with fee included, other stores' trigger is> 1000 with fee included , from my store experience in multiple WM stores
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:11 pm

my 2 WM @999.12 triggered the ID (ct)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:21 pm

my 4 WM @999.12 triggered the ID (ca)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just to reiterate..As a serious MSer 1) MG is collecting this info for a purpose..(look how fast the post office shut us down via their own system)They must have a team poring thru the transactions and can stop us either tomorrow/next week/next month. They can institute a system that can stop a transaction when WM enters the ID. They can say this person can not purchase MO via MG. They can also limit MO to $400.00 or any amount and require cash. That would stop us cold. Or make you come back for 1 per day under 1k. Numerous possibilities. 2) I can not get along with just 2 MO under 1k. I only have 2WM I can use and do 2K in each about 2-3x weekly, the backlog is just too many VGC left over not liquidated. And it seems WM wants to keep this business for the small profit they make.So if MG is really serious..they can close us down entirely. No one knows as of now what their plan is. But the # of MSer must have increased lots. OK..here is my current plan along with my educated guess on whats happening. I will begin to do my BAU liquidations. My 2 WM only allow 4 swipes. So I will get 4k via 2 WM 2-4x weekly with ID. Maybe MG is going after the big ones.. 8k or more.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:32 pm

Also what do folks here guestimate as to how many people are MSer? I thought it was in the 400-900 range a few years ago..but its probably more then 2K? Thoughts. MG must know since they took this action. Groceries are tedious and clerk dependent. Out of my 4 Acme markets.. 2 have become suspicious and I am only doing 2 a day, 1 clerk makes up their own rules and tells the others. So for me this chain is very un certain. Also Stop&Shop will not do MO with a gift card. They all know to look at card unless you get a rookie. This is in CT and upstate NY. And I am nor going to pull a switch.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
Just to reiterate..As a serious MSer 1) MG is collecting this info for a purpose..(look how fast the post office shut us down via their own system)They must have a team poring thru the transactions and can stop us either tomorrow/next week/next month. They can institute a system that can stop a transaction when WM enters the ID. They can say this person can not purchase MO via MG. They can also limit MO to $400.00 or any amount and require cash. That would stop us cold. Or make you come back for 1 per day under 1k. Numerous possibilities. 2) I can not get along with just 2 MO under 1k. I only have 2WM I can use and do 2K in each about 2-3x weekly, the backlog is just too many VGC left over not liquidated. And it seems WM wants to keep this business for the small profit they make.So if MG is really serious..they can close us down entirely. No one knows as of now what their plan is. But the # of MSer must have increased lots. OK..here is my current plan along with my educated guess on whats happening. I will begin to do my BAU liquidations. My 2 WM only allow 4 swipes. So I will get 4k via 2 WM 2-4x weekly with ID. Maybe MG is going after the big ones.. 8k or more.
mhdena likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.