Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:32 pm

I feel Monneygram is collecting this info to eventually stop MS operation. No one knows when.. could be next week..next month? But if you stay below threshold..doing 999.12 and leaving..you will be fine. They can automatically stop you when you hand over ID and system has a stop on you. So please..stay below the threshold. For me..it is important to be in the game. Now it will just take more time and trips to WM. Just accept it.Its still lucrative. But I will have double the work and a backlog of 500.00 cards.As for poster who stated he will use 200.00+200+500..that is a waste and very small return. The fees on 200 and 300 are crazy..except when Staples/OM have a deal. Today I had leftover 200 and 300 cards. First WM got 899.12 MO with a 500 +200+200 with no ID check. Cards were left over from Staples deals. second WM did 500.00 plus 200 +200.for 899.12 again no ID. Now we know the score and tread lightly. The ones who stay under the limit will be left in the game..The selfish and hoarders might be banned. I did half of my usual and will accept the new normal. I dont have WM too close, so I can not go back 2x in a day.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
I feel Monneygram is collecting this info to eventually stop MS operation. No one knows when.. could be next week..next month? But if you stay below threshold..doing 999.12 and leaving..you will be fine. They can automatically stop you when you hand over ID and system has a stop on you. So please..stay below the threshold. For me..it is important to be in the game. Now it will just take more time and trips to WM. Just accept it.Its still lucrative. But I will have double the work and a backlog of 500.00 cards.As for poster who stated he will use 200.00+200+500..that is a waste and very small return. The fees on 200 and 300 are crazy..except when Staples/OM have a deal. Today I had leftover 200 and 300 cards. First WM got 899.12 MO with a 500 +200+200 with no ID check. Cards were left over from Staples deals. second WM did 500.00 plus 200 +200.for 899.12 again no ID. Now we know the score and tread lightly. The ones who stay under the limit will be left in the game..The selfish and hoarders might be banned. I did half of my usual and will accept the new normal. I dont have WM too close, so I can not go back 2x in a day.
$200-$300 are still lucrative if you have SCP(s) and are trying to max out the $50k limit before the end of the year. I do find it much easier (and cheaper) to load them to prepaids.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by barrytuneup
3. IME experience today, I can say YES because at store#2, the MSer ahead of me who was attended by another BV ordered one $999.12 which prompted ID check. I bought $999.00 and was not asked for ID; I compared notes with a friend who went to same store which allowed up to $8K in separate transactions ~ she did $1998.24 two times and $2K two times and her info was entered 4 times with a reminder that she can't buy more at any WMs today but can resume tomorrow.
Mamibear.. someone like this will kill it for all of us. I know you to be astute and knowledgeable..but tell this person to slow up. read my following post.
I've read your position but for me, I am not in a position to stop others from what they do since we're all adults who have been into MS for years now. In our small group, we share info about our experiences without passing judgment unless anyone among us asks for opinions. Amidst all challenges and changes in MS, we've all managed to thrive by learning from one another.

For me, I'd rather lay low because I am convinced that regular presentation of DL will eventually call MG's attention especially if high volume of MO is purchased by one person. Hypothetically, say a retired person buys $8K daily x 30 days for total of $240K MOs, is flagged by MG (worse case scenario would be if lea gets involved) will MG ban him/her from buying MOs at all WM? IDK so I'd rather lay low, fly under radar and seek other recycling centers. I'm fine with presenting ID up to 4x a month, no more than that. It's not MG shutdown that bothers me, but the possible worse case scenario that can occur; even if I have flowchart, receipts, MO stubs to explain what I'm doing. No matter what, it's the inconvinience of having to explain everything.

Bottomline, to each their own according to one's risk tolerance and MS goals.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I've read your position but for me, I am not in a position to stop others from what they do since we're all adults who have been into MS for years now. In our small group, we share info about our experiences without passing judgment unless anyone among us asks for opinions. Amidst all challenges and changes in MS, we've all managed to thrive by learning from one another.

For me, I'd rather lay low because I am convinced that regular presentation of DL will eventually call MG's attention especially if high volume of MO is purchased by one person. Hypothetically, say a retired person buys $8K daily x 30 days for total of $240K MOs, is flagged by MG (worse case scenario would be if lea gets involved) will MG ban him/her from buying MOs at all WM? IDK so I'd rather lay low, fly under radar and seek other recycling centers. I'm fine with presenting ID up to 4x a month, no more than that. It's not MG shutdown that bothers me, but the possible worse case scenario that can occur; even if I have flowchart, receipts, MO stubs to explain what I'm doing. No matter what, it's the inconvinience of having to explain everything.

Bottomline, to each their own according to one's risk tolerance and MS goals.
A few folks in my local group were visited by LEOs. They understood what was going on after explaining and said it was NOT illegal and even encouraged them to continue doing it if they were getting free flights out of it.

This was at a local recycling center that files a SARs on them and it took about 6 months for LEOs to investigate, so obviously they were not on their priority list.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:58 pm

ID prompt doesn't require SSN anymore? 2 x 999.12 prompted CSR for ID, but no SSN prompt or occupation question, which was standard in my primary and secondary WMs.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by lumangoy
A few folks in my local group were visited by LEOs. They understood what was going on after explaining and said it was NOT illegal and even encouraged them to continue doing it if they were getting free flights out of it.

This was at a local recycling center that files a SARs on them and it took about 6 months for LEOs to investigate, so obviously they were not on their priority list.
Any idea of what kind of volume they were doing? Or on what kind of receipts they offered (if any?)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:56 am

This new change effectively shutdown WM for me as my WM is saying only one card swipe per day even for BB Loads. I was loading BB at different registers, this yellow vest manager came running to me on my 3rd load saying no more transactions for me today. And this other WM is deader than my dead grandma, can't load more than $300 at registers and MC only allows for one swipe per day.

Last edited by msthegame; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:10 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum

who are LEOs?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by msthegame
This new change effectively shutdown WM for me as my WM is saying only one card swipe per day even for BB Loads. I was loading BB at different registers, this yellow vest manager came running to me on my 3rd load saying no more transactions for me today. And this other WM is deader than my dead grandma, can't load more than $300 at registers and MC only allows for one swipe per day.
try MO and BP?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by coolguy100
who are LEOs?
Law Enforcement Officer
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
try MO and BP?
Same rules for MO. I never did BP.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:09 am

You mean that somebody actually understands that MS has a complete paper trail and never involves the touching of actual cash? Say it ain't so
wyogold likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by canyoncar
You mean that somebody actually understands that MS has a complete paper trail and never involves the touching of actual cash? Say it ain't so
yes, LEOs saw the money coming in & out of bank accounts!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by canyoncar
I still don't know how I've managed to keep myself from going postal after having Walmartians "explain" structuring to me ...

IF YOU FILE A SAR IT CANNOT BE STRUCTURING BY DEFINITION YOU DIMWIT!!! AAAAARGH!!!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
I still don't know how I've managed to keep myself from going postal after having Walmartians "explain" structuring to me ...

IF YOU FILE A SAR IT CANNOT BE STRUCTURING BY DEFINITION YOU DIMWIT!!! AAAAARGH!!!
I must be one of the dimwits but how is that so by definition? Whether you engage in structuring or not, the cashiers / tellers are supposed to file a SAR if they observe a specific patter of behavior, i.e. regardless of what is or is not happening at any other time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.