Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
... and keeps you on the clerks good side.
Another way to stay on good side: complete customer survey (number at top of receipt), compliment clerk by name, e.g. "jane was very pleasant and efficient." Very easy.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by tuphat
Another way to stay on good side: complete customer survey (number at top of receipt), compliment clerk by name, e.g. "jane was very pleasant and efficient." Very easy.
I did ask one of my friendly CSR about the survey. He said it doesn’t really matter. So I am kinda confused.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I used to do that often, but then I started asking my regular clerks (on whom I did surveys many times, mentioning them by name) if it really helped them, if maybe they got a free lunch or extra "points" with their boss for having a positive survey from a customer, and none of them said yes...in fact, they didn't even know about surveys, so it was not even mentioned to them by their supervisors...after that I just stopped doing surveys...maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but in my experience the surveys were pretty much useless...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by in4tar
I used to do that often, but then I started asking my regular clerks (on whom I did surveys many times, mentioning them by name) if it really helped them, if maybe they got a free lunch or extra "points" with their boss for having a positive survey from a customer, and none of them said yes...in fact, they didn't even know about surveys, so it was not even mentioned to them by their supervisors...after that I just stopped doing surveys...maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but in my experience the surveys were pretty much useless...
I think it varies by store. At my store, the associates definitely know if they've been complimented by survey, and seem appreciative.
ETA: I don't go overboard, maybe one survey per associate every few weeks or so. I also don't b1tch about bad service (here), to keep it on the down low.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:17 am

999.xx x2 this morning. No info requested.
briang191 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by knopfler
999.xx x2 this morning. No info requested.
two separate transactions?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
two separate transactions?
Oh forgot about that. It was one transaction for total of $2k including fees.
Billiken and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:48 am

Oh forgot about that. It was one transaction for total of $2k including fees.
Good info. Hope its the same case for WM BP.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Good info. Hope its the same case for WM BP.
Hit up two more on the way into work, all for 2k transactions. No required additional info. Friendly CSR at last stop said someone earlier bought $8k in one transaction (three swipes) and no additional info required for that either.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Tried a $1k and $998.24 (single transaction with 4 swipes) at my go-to WMT this morning.
A manager was manning the MoneyPit and said that split-tender transactions are not allowed. She did say I could buy multiple MOs.
(There is another WMT in the CLE area where they don't allow split tender purchases of MOs.....

YMMV
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
Tried a $1k and $998.24 (single transaction with 4 swipes) at my go-to WMT this morning.
A manager was manning the MoneyPit and said that split-tender transactions are not allowed. She did say I could buy multiple MOs.
(There is another WMT in the CLE area where they don't allow split tender purchases of MOs.....

YMMV
There are some around here like that too, but really more CSR-specific than store specific.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
There are some around here like that too, but really more CSR-specific than store specific.
One of my friendly walmart locations said they received an email yesterday that they wouldn't allow multiple swipes "in a few weeks". I'm guessing this was a store-specific email too.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

BAU for me

1 transaction $999.12 x2, no additional info needed at my usual WMNM, CSR made it seem like it's only needed for doing the max of 8k.
Prometheus77 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

BAU at my go-to superWM and NMs, both MOs and B/Ps didn't trigger eMSAR prompts for transactions >/= to $1K.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:50 pm

Also BAU for 2 $1000 money orders at my regular WMSC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.