Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Updated Dec-2023 (Plastiq Policy URL links do not work when clicked directly from FT. Copy links to address bar to view)
Visa Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/Visa-Card-Policy

American Express Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/American-Express-Card-Policy

Summary of Supported Payments by Card Brand
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/supported-payments-by-card-brand

Official word from Plastiq regarding Visa Business cards that was asked which was previously thought it applied to only Visa Personal cards
Plastiq is unable to support mortgage payments on any Visa credit cards. This is an industry-wide mandate that affects all third-party bill payment services. Please note that mortgage payments are also unsupported for credit cards issued by U.S. Bank or Capital One and AMEX.

Plastiq Fees:
Standard Plastiq card payment processing fee is 2.9%. This puts most of the credit cards out of the reward range. Plastiq turns itself into a niche position to earn new card bonus or status threshold. Some CCs may still work.
It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Delivery Fees (The Plastiq Ch. 11 restructure now added some delivery fees):
ACH/EFT/Electronic $0.99
Paper Check $1.49
Wire Transfer: Domestic/International $8.99/$39

This is the thread for 2018 and forward. The previous discussion can be found here.
Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs can't be used at Plastiq. Some will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 ($0?) FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 ($100) FFDs to spend.

All personal prepaid Gift Cards (GCs) are disallowed. Not sure what "business" gift card can be used.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Note that Plastiq no longer accepts American Express for any transactions as of 2/10/23.
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
NewRez Mortgage, Sent 9/20 Arrived 9/30
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
SCE (So Cal Edison)
SoCal gas
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions:
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
*Visa Gift Card by Blackhawk does not seem to be working
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
So I may move to an apt with a physical landlord soon. Do you guys use Plastiq for that kind of thing? Or do you just give up on pts and go for the electronic payment directly?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bobert24
I've heard some people were less than pleased with Plastiq's customer service, so I felt the need to share this. I got an email today confirming that my mortgage payment had been processed... with the wrong credit card. Turns out it was my fault - I thought I had switched it to another card, but I had actually never even added that card to my account.

Today's Thanksgiving, so I sent a support email, hoping there may be some chance I'd hear back before Monday. I heard back from them in 6 minutes. Within 6 minutes, they had voided the transaction and written me back to confirm that I could re-run it on the correct card. 6 minutes. On Thanksgiving day. I'm extremely impressed.

Now I'm sure that probably just means that their support is just sitting there today, bored, because who's going to call/write Plastiq on Thanksgiving? But whatever it is, that's the fastest response I've gotten from any support in a long time, even on a regular day.
For another datapoint around the same time, I needed a payment delivered by Dec 1st. Using the Plastiq site, I selected a delivery date of 11/26, just to be sure the payment would arrive in plenty of time. Card was charged on 11/15. Payment arrived on 12/6, 3 weeks later and 10 days late (based on the delivery date selected). Completely ridiculous and unacceptable.

I've used Plastiq multiple times in the past, but the last 3 times I've used them, this has occurred. Every time I swear not to use them again, then end up being tempted by the churn opportunity they represent.

If you need a time sensitive payment, schedule it 2+ weeks earlier than it needs to arrive or don't use the service.
robchow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gasolin
So I may move to an apt with a physical landlord soon. Do you guys use Plastiq for that kind of thing? Or do you just give up on pts and go for the electronic payment directly?
If you read up and down the thread you'll see plenty of cases where someone's Plastiq payment was delayed by a week or two.

So you may want to figure out (a) how timely you rent payment will need to be, and (b) how far in advance you're OK with paying to get points minus the 2.5% fee.

And that's the other thing, do you have a card that give you more than the 2.5% fee costs you, with the way Plastiq will code your particular rent payment? Several cards that used to code as 3x or higher on Plastiq payments in the past no longer do so today.

I find it's easy to get that kind of value if I need a payment to get to a minimum spend requirement for a signup bonus on a new card, but constantly swapping cards is hard with Plastiq since their rules change from one card type to another and even sometimes from bank to another. So I've only bothered with Plastiq for my once-a-year insurance payments, not for my monthly rent payment (where I don't have any card which would consistently get me more than the 2.5% fee would cost me). And because of Plastiq's restrictions, I may have to churn an MC (not a Visa, not an Amex ) when my once-a-year insurance payment is coming up.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Thanks for your insight. The payment delay when using Plastiq with an AMEX and the ACH transfer is what worries me.
I am ok with the 2.5% for the fees, I think it's not that bad, all things considered.

But those delayed payments, are they with the checks or ACH too?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Thanks for your insight. The payment delay when using Plastiq with an AMEX and the ACH transfer is what worries me.
I am ok with the 2.5% for the fees, I think it's not that bad, all things considered.

But those delayed payments, are they with the checks or ACH too?
I've experienced issues with the first payment to a new recipient, but only when using a check. I haven't used the ACH function yet. I would give a lead time of 2 or 3 weeks for the first payment to go through. Even though they are mailing a check, they seem to be printed and mailed by a third party, so it's a good idea to give yourself plenty of buffer time in the event that things don't go smoothly. Sometimes I have been emailed to verify right before the check is cut to a new recipient, thankfully that only takes a minute to reply over email. Once a check didn't get delivered and I had to have it resent. Plastiq was good about refunding the fees, but it would have been a late payment if I didn't give myself enough time to correct the problem.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
is it possible to pay health insurance using Visa Personal/Business cards?
I was unable to using Amex cards.
Trying to see if Bofa new changes are going to help, or will stick to Chase Ink Unlimited,, was at Bofa Branch today got to know cash rewards has moved to master card from visa

Last edited by rocky_nnc; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

CNB Crystal Visa, personal Visa CC,
~ $2200 posted as purchase no issue, this was 10/25/2018.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
To answer my own question I was charged 2.2% processing fee by Rentcafe.
It worked out better since I don't have to worry about the check not delivered on time.
Hope this helps someone.
Good for you, my apartments use ConService which charges 2.75%. I'd love them to be simply $2.2%
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy PPE, Delta Platinum
I just tried using a Vanilla VGC via Plastiq. The payment was rejected by the issuer. Calling Plastiq they said they saw the attempted charges and that they can't approve "bill payments". I used Vanilla VGC's in the past with no issue and didn't see their cards listed anywhere as being problematic. Is anyone else running into this issue?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by VoluntaryDowngrade
. Calling Plastiq they said they saw the attempted charges and that they can't approve "bill payments".
Plastiq said they cannot approve bill payments?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy PPE, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Plastiq said they cannot approve bill payments?
Oops sorry for the typo - I did call Plastiq and they said it was blocked by the bank. I then called Vanilla and they said the purchase was not something they would approve.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:42 pm

Recently got the US Bank Radisson Rewards VISA and Plastiq is suggesting to not use it. Any specific data points with this card? Any other service out there that would allow this card to be used as a regular purchase and would still mail a check to a private landlord?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:20 am

Has anyone managed to get their chat or something? I always get only the email option and it takes some time... I got the "Cannot use AMEX" error for a valid reason, it's a bit disappointing.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Has anyone managed to get their chat or something? I always get only the email option and it takes some time... I got the "Cannot use AMEX" error for a valid reason, it's a bit disappointing.
yes they are good on chat.
The answer for that is Amex stopped accepting it for some payments - like healthcare i couldn't pay. cant do much about it, if system threw the exception.

BTW can we still do a personal visa for rent?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:01 pm

So my chat issue was a browser issue, I switched to the phone and could get the chat. They apparently fixed the category to Rent/Real Estate and then it worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.