Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Updated Dec-2023 (Plastiq Policy URL links do not work when clicked directly from FT. Copy links to address bar to view)
Visa Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/Visa-Card-Policy

American Express Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/American-Express-Card-Policy

Summary of Supported Payments by Card Brand
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/supported-payments-by-card-brand

Official word from Plastiq regarding Visa Business cards that was asked which was previously thought it applied to only Visa Personal cards
Plastiq is unable to support mortgage payments on any Visa credit cards. This is an industry-wide mandate that affects all third-party bill payment services. Please note that mortgage payments are also unsupported for credit cards issued by U.S. Bank or Capital One and AMEX.

Plastiq Fees:
Standard Plastiq card payment processing fee is 2.9%. This puts most of the credit cards out of the reward range. Plastiq turns itself into a niche position to earn new card bonus or status threshold. Some CCs may still work.
It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Delivery Fees (The Plastiq Ch. 11 restructure now added some delivery fees):
ACH/EFT/Electronic $0.99
Paper Check $1.49
Wire Transfer: Domestic/International $8.99/$39

This is the thread for 2018 and forward. The previous discussion can be found here.
Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs can't be used at Plastiq. Some will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 ($0?) FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 ($100) FFDs to spend.

All personal prepaid Gift Cards (GCs) are disallowed. Not sure what "business" gift card can be used.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Note that Plastiq no longer accepts American Express for any transactions as of 2/10/23.
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
NewRez Mortgage, Sent 9/20 Arrived 9/30
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
SCE (So Cal Edison)
SoCal gas
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions:
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
*Visa Gift Card by Blackhawk does not seem to be working
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Just asking. I need to make a 15K payment to my daughters university. Can I make 60 payments of $250 with my MC? Thanks for any info
I have a feeling Plastiq will shut you down if you try to make that many payments.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I have a feeling Plastiq will shut you down if you try to make that many payments.
I dont think they will. (Has Plastiq shut anyone down, they reject payments but I am not aware of any shutdown) I push much more than that through Plastiq. Another Idea is to set up weekly recurring payments. If your dealdine is Sept 30th, you can schedule 10 payments and have them automatically resend each week until 9/30. Much less work. I also make each payment a differnet amount but suprisingly, I have never had an issue (knocking on wood).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:12 am

I have paid the same lender 20 payments of $250.00, $250.01, ..., $250.20 on the same day without issues. You can open multiple tabs to set up the payments easily, but the final submissions must be separated by 30 seconds. The $250.19 payment incurred no fees but the $250.20 payment incurred $0.01 in fees.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone having issues adding a new card in Citi Pay lately? Been trying it for a week and it keeps returning an error.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Anyone having issues adding a new card in Citi Pay lately? Been trying it for a week and it keeps returning an error.
Yup. Same. At one point, I was able to change my default to a different active card, but I cannot activate a new card.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Cartsing
Barclays Arrival Premier Mastercard. 53,571 airline miles per year for $25k spend.
Any other good Mastercards that can be used for mortgage? I thought about the above card, but after the annual fee kicks in, you're still in the negative each year. My scheduled WF mortgage payments using the CIP just ended this month and it won't let me schedule a new payment series with a Visa any more. Any workarounds or suggestions?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:50 pm

I am having a strange issue. I added a Mastercard to Masterpass and then tried to make a payment with it and got an error message the payment provider has declined the payment. I called up the CC issuer to find out why they declined the payment and found out that the expiration date sent by payment processor was wrong.I then went back and looked at the card and indeed the expiration date was off by one month it should have been 02 but was now showing 03. I tried to edit it but no change. Then I kept playing and deleted and readded the card but it kept showing 03 even though I was entering 02. I even went to Materpass site directly and it shows the correct expiration date.

I then initiated a Live Chat with Plastiq and they initially tried to refer me back to the card issuer. but I informed them what the card issuer told me and how I could very clearly see the discrepancy.on the screen. They then referred me to Masterpass and their customer service confirmed the expiration date was correct on their site. This time when I went back to Plastiq Rep he agreed to open a ticket. Who knows how long it will take them to research this issue.

Anybody else has experienced similar issues? Any workarounds?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:07 am

Not sure if its the same exact problem, but I had a scheduled masterpass payment fail to process. I then logged into masterpass and found the digital card number was now different. I ended up rescheduling the payment on plastiq with the new digital card number and it went through.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
It's been a few months since I've used Visa gift cards on Plastiq (switched to Mastercards for the promo), but this week I took advantage of the OM/OD Visa gift card promo so I have a bunch of them to use. However, my payments are being declined in Plastiq (no mortgage--I've tried utilities, piano lessons, charity). I know there has been a change with Visa personal cards, but I thought Visa gift cards were still okay to use. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by fivegirls
It's been a few months since I've used Visa gift cards on Plastiq (switched to Mastercards for the promo), but this week I took advantage of the OM/OD Visa gift card promo so I have a bunch of them to use. However, my payments are being declined in Plastiq (no mortgage--I've tried utilities, piano lessons, charity). I know there has been a change with Visa personal cards, but I thought Visa gift cards were still okay to use. Am I missing something?
Visa GCs won't work so don't buy anymore if you were planning to use them on Plastiq -- CEO responded to my question about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...q_ceo/e299t52/
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani
I am having a strange issue. I added a Mastercard to Masterpass and then tried to make a payment with it and got an error message the payment provider has declined the payment. I called up the CC issuer to find out why they declined the payment and found out that the expiration date sent by payment processor was wrong.I then went back and looked at the card and indeed the expiration date was off by one month it should have been 02 but was now showing 03. I tried to edit it but no change. Then I kept playing and deleted and readded the card but it kept showing 03 even though I was entering 02. I even went to Materpass site directly and it shows the correct expiration date.

I then initiated a Live Chat with Plastiq and they initially tried to refer me back to the card issuer. but I informed them what the card issuer told me and how I could very clearly see the discrepancy.on the screen. They then referred me to Masterpass and their customer service confirmed the expiration date was correct on their site. This time when I went back to Plastiq Rep he agreed to open a ticket. Who knows how long it will take them to research this issue.

Anybody else has experienced similar issues? Any workarounds?
I had the same issue. Chatted with Plastiq and he recommended clearing the Browser cache and re-entering the card. I was rather rude in explaining how there is no way this was an issue with my Browser -- but then I tried it anyway and it worked. Oops. I did apologize.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:41 am

Can I use my wife’s card on my account to pay our mortgage? Her credit card will have the address on the mortgage. She has her own Plastiq account but just just used it once for something else about 2 years ago. The alternative is to add the mortgage to her Plastiq account, but her name isn’t on the loan and I know Plastiq likes to ask to verify the biller. I had to send them a copy of my mortgage bill 2-3 years ago. Will adding her card to my account be a problem?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Can I use my wife’s card on my account to pay our mortgage? Her credit card will have the address on the mortgage. She has her own Plastiq account but just just used it once for something else about 2 years ago. The alternative is to add the mortgage to her Plastiq account, but her name isn’t on the loan and I know Plastiq likes to ask to verify the biller. I had to send them a copy of my mortgage bill 2-3 years ago. Will adding her card to my account be a problem?
Plastiq, like most vendors, doesn't know or verify the name on the card. I have several of my wife's cards on my Plastiq account and just put my name when adding them.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
I am making 12 sub-$250 payments per day scheduled up to 9/30/18. I can tell you Plastiq doesn't care about the volume in a negative way. It actually grabbed the attention of their sales department who is looking for me to help add vendors to their service. They keep sending emails. Based on all of the other Masterpass promo's out there, I believe Masterpass is absorbing most if not all of the expense.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by OC_Matt
I am making 12 sub-$250 payments per day scheduled up to 9/30/18. I can tell you Plastiq doesn't care about the volume in a negative way. It actually grabbed the attention of their sales department who is looking for me to help add vendors to their service. They keep sending emails. Based on all of the other Masterpass promo's out there, I believe Masterpass is absorbing most if not all of the expense.
On the Reddit AMA that their CEO recently did on /r/churning:

We are lucky to have such a great relationship with MasterCard (always have), and they are the ones covering the $250 on every MasterPass payment.
OC_Matt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.