Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Updated Dec-2023 (Plastiq Policy URL links do not work when clicked directly from FT. Copy links to address bar to view)
Visa Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/Visa-Card-Policy

American Express Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/American-Express-Card-Policy

Summary of Supported Payments by Card Brand
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/supported-payments-by-card-brand

Official word from Plastiq regarding Visa Business cards that was asked which was previously thought it applied to only Visa Personal cards
Plastiq is unable to support mortgage payments on any Visa credit cards. This is an industry-wide mandate that affects all third-party bill payment services. Please note that mortgage payments are also unsupported for credit cards issued by U.S. Bank or Capital One and AMEX.

Plastiq Fees:
Standard Plastiq card payment processing fee is 2.9%. This puts most of the credit cards out of the reward range. Plastiq turns itself into a niche position to earn new card bonus or status threshold. Some CCs may still work.
It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Delivery Fees (The Plastiq Ch. 11 restructure now added some delivery fees):
ACH/EFT/Electronic $0.99
Paper Check $1.49
Wire Transfer: Domestic/International $8.99/$39

This is the thread for 2018 and forward. The previous discussion can be found here.
Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs can't be used at Plastiq. Some will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 ($0?) FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 ($100) FFDs to spend.

All personal prepaid Gift Cards (GCs) are disallowed. Not sure what "business" gift card can be used.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Note that Plastiq no longer accepts American Express for any transactions as of 2/10/23.
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
NewRez Mortgage, Sent 9/20 Arrived 9/30
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
SCE (So Cal Edison)
SoCal gas
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions:
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
*Visa Gift Card by Blackhawk does not seem to be working
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by fbcooper
So I read the chase ink preferred is getting 3x using plstq. Is there a limit for using plstq for example i have bi weekly 25k payment to a manufacturer and a rent check of 4250 a month, would those count for the 3x bonus categories?
Yes, those would code as 3x on your CIP. The CIP has a $150,000 limit per year (Card-member) on the 3x category.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:36 am

Does old ink plus give 3x on Plastiq?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
How does citi think about using plastiq for signup bonus?
how about other cc issurers?
AMEX
chase
citi
??
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank_10b
How does citi think about using plastiq for signup bonus?
how about other cc issurers?
AMEX
chase
citi
??
It depends to what degree. I've had no issues in the past mixing in Plastiq as part of my signuup bonus minimum purchases (a never the first purchase on the card either) with Amex..

I doubt they think about it differently than mixed use during other promos. Citi had no problem with me using only Plastiq one month for a retention promo of 500 bonus points for any month when I make $500 in purchases, but again the next month (and in previous months before I got that promo) I've used the same card for plenty other stuff. (I broke a payment into $250 chunks to use the MasterPass promo, and because I did it over a week which straddled a statement date, 2x$250 ended up one statement and the leftover ended up on the next statement. One statement had only that, while the other statement had other, non-Plastiq, purchases on the same statement.)

OTOH, any bank might look harder and stricter if you do nothing but make one huge Plastiq purchase (which in one fell swoop satisfies the minimum spend) and then never use the card again.

So as with so many things, do it sparsely enough that it doesn't call attention to itself and you're likely to be OK, but it's less certain if you do it "blatantly".

Meanwhile, it's getting trickier to use Plastiq for signup bonuses, depending on what you're going to use Plastiq for, because with little advance notice Plastiq keeps changing the restrictions of which types of cards (Visa, MC, Amex, Disc) you can use for what. I got an Amex card upgrade bonus that required minimum spend, but before I could use Plastiq for what I used last year with Amex, Plastiq changed the rules and wouldn't allow Amex for that same payee this year. Then I was going to use the Marriott Chase card on which I had a signup bonus, and ran into the "cash advance" nightmare (detailed in posts above). So that's two cards I was planning to use Plastiq for on signup/upgrade bonuses that I couldn't use Plastiq for at all!

So it may be more what Plastiq thinks of the card you want to use, that what the bank thinks about Plastiq! (Though perhaps it's possible some of these restrictions instituted at Plastiq were because of request or demands made by the banks?)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 15, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
Does old ink plus give 3x on Plastiq?
no
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:41 am

Can I product change ink plus to ink preferred? i was rejected ink preferred cc due to too many cards.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
Can I product change ink plus to ink preferred? i was rejected ink preferred cc due to too many cards.
I don't believe so, but best to ask in one of these threads:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ferred-49.html
Chase Ink Business Cards - July 2015- Present
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jatan
Nope -- only Ink Preferred triggers 3x UR pts
Are there recent DPs on this? The last ones I can see online are nearly a year old...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc
Are there recent DPs on this? The last ones I can see online are nearly a year old...
Sounds like a small payment should be made to create a new DP
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I changed my ink plus to ink cash. And then a yr later changed ink cash to ink preferred. so i would assume ink plus to preferred is possible
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:51 am

Called ink+ for possible product change to ink preferred & told not possible.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by morphogencc
my bill payment to a vendor got me 3x points
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:45 am

Just asking. I need to make a 15K payment to my daughters university. Can I make 60 payments of $250 with my MC? Thanks for any info
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Just asking. I need to make a 15K payment to my daughters university. Can I make 60 payments of $250 with my MC? Thanks for any info
The school may bill you 10% more for processing fees....
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
The more separate payments you make (that are all identical and that are all sent at about the same time), the more you risk somebody at the receiving end getting confused and not crediting them all correctly, and you not being able to figure out what went wrong (because you can't tell which payment it was that didn't get credited).

At the very least, make each payment a slightly different amount (under $250), which will unfortunately make the count even more than 60. For example, $151 for the first payment, $152 for the second payment, $153 for the third payment, etc. Then if a payment isn't credit correctly, you can tell very easily which one it was. That may seem like a lot of work, but I bet making 60 separate payments would be a lot of work anyway. You have to start each payment separately at Plastiq to have each one be within the $250 limit for the MasterPass promo. It felt like work when I divided something up into just 5 payments (2 at a time one week, 3 at a time the following week). I can't imagine dividing something up into 60 or more payments (and then tracking if all of that got credited correctly)!

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 23, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.