Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Updated Dec-2023 (Plastiq Policy URL links do not work when clicked directly from FT. Copy links to address bar to view)
Visa Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/Visa-Card-Policy

American Express Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/American-Express-Card-Policy

Summary of Supported Payments by Card Brand
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/supported-payments-by-card-brand

Official word from Plastiq regarding Visa Business cards that was asked which was previously thought it applied to only Visa Personal cards
Plastiq is unable to support mortgage payments on any Visa credit cards. This is an industry-wide mandate that affects all third-party bill payment services. Please note that mortgage payments are also unsupported for credit cards issued by U.S. Bank or Capital One and AMEX.

Plastiq Fees:
Standard Plastiq card payment processing fee is 2.9%. This puts most of the credit cards out of the reward range. Plastiq turns itself into a niche position to earn new card bonus or status threshold. Some CCs may still work.
It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Delivery Fees (The Plastiq Ch. 11 restructure now added some delivery fees):
ACH/EFT/Electronic $0.99
Paper Check $1.49
Wire Transfer: Domestic/International $8.99/$39

This is the thread for 2018 and forward. The previous discussion can be found here.
Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs can't be used at Plastiq. Some will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 ($0?) FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 ($100) FFDs to spend.

All personal prepaid Gift Cards (GCs) are disallowed. Not sure what "business" gift card can be used.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Note that Plastiq no longer accepts American Express for any transactions as of 2/10/23.
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
NewRez Mortgage, Sent 9/20 Arrived 9/30
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
SCE (So Cal Edison)
SoCal gas
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions:
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
*Visa Gift Card by Blackhawk does not seem to be working
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Old May 30, 2018, 1:06 pm

I'm just getting annoyed by Plastiq constantly stopping my payments for prepayment of utilities, or for rent (even if I'm not the master tenant). Very hard to actually use it in my case.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone having issues connecting to Citi Masterpass? The site doens't seem to recognize my login..
Old May 30, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by CzarZ
I'm just getting annoyed by Plastiq constantly stopping my payments for prepayment of utilities, or for rent (even if I'm not the master tenant). Very hard to actually use it in my case.
They're stopping some of my payments too. Tried to send $500 daily June 1 to Sep 30 to a company with whom I have a refundable contract in place (and decades of trust,) and even though it should be allowable per their rules, they've cancelled it and said I had to pay that company another way.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
My first Masterpass payment was scheduled to charge today and it failed. I've re-scheduled it, let's see if it goes through...
Old May 31, 2018, 5:29 pm

if CSR gets eliminated, is it worth it to use CIC on Plastiq?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:40 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
heads up, anyone that has any cards listed as cash advance, you've been warned - https://plastiq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...s/360005215254
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
heads up, anyone that has any cards listed as cash advance, you've been warned - https://plastiq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...s/360005215254
At the top of the post, it says Mastercard is unaffected. Then in the table it lists Citi ThankYou Premier as being affected. Hasn't this card only ever been a Mastercard and not a Visa?

EDIT: Plastiq confirmed Citi Thank You Premier is not affected.

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 1, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:46 pm
Etp

Any DP or info about the cash advance status of US Bank Altitude Reserve?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA
Hi all. Just recently got the Capital One Venture card. I wold like to pay my rent with it but my rental agency insists on direct deposit for their rentals. If I set Plastiq to pay my spouse, would this show as a cash advance and would I get credit for it? Sorry for the newb question....I'm very new to the points earning game.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Rebel54
Hi all. Just recently got the Capital One Venture card. I wold like to pay my rent with it but my rental agency insists on direct deposit for their rentals. If I set Plastiq to pay my spouse, would this show as a cash advance and would I get credit for it? Sorry for the newb question....I'm very new to the points earning game.
​​​​​
you might get stopped by plastiq for paying your spouse.
you could ask your rental agency to apply for an account with plastiq, then you would be able to ach to rental agency but that might a struggle.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Thanks!
It is getting to be very cumbersome in using Plastiq as an option.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by rrgg
At the top of the post, it says Mastercard is unaffected. Then in the table it lists Citi ThankYou Premier as being affected. Hasn't this card only ever been a Mastercard and not a Visa?

EDIT: Plastiq confirmed Citi Thank You Premier is not affected.
Yeah that's weird, they list Citi ThankYou points cards, including Premier and Prestige, which to my knowledge were never VISA, but on top of the table in big red letters it says if your card is issued under MasterCard, it's not affected. So, i'm guessing Citi's cards are OK, as long as they're MC.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Got an email from Plastiq this morning. If the Masterpass promotion is worth it to you, might want to jump on it immediately.
I don't see what stops people from scheduling two $250 payments for every $500 in payments they were going to do originally, before the promotion changed.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by akcae
..... Premier and Prestige, which to my knowledge were never VISA,.....
Prior to 2015 many Citi products were available in both MasterCard and VISA or Amex network versions. I do not specifically recall a VISA version of Prestige issued in the USA, but it is issued in other markets, and VISA Premier was issued here.
Attached Images  
akcae likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
Prior to 2015 many Citi products were available in both MasterCard and VISA or Amex network versions. I do not specifically recall a VISA version of Prestige issued in the USA, but it is issued in other markets, and VISA Premier was issued here.
Seriously though.... mia is like way more than a moderator. She's like "The Rock" of FT. Is there anything she can't answer? lol.
TyPo311 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.