Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs are out at Plastiq. They will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:
https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/ar...l-Card-Changes

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 5, 18, 9:45 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,332
I already scheduled 2 months of mortgage payments (for July 1 and Aug 1) using my Prestige card (which earns 1x) in $500 increments. But today I called Citi retention and was given an offer for an extra 2x (up to 35K extra points) on my Preferred card. Any reason I should NOT just cancel my Prestige $500 payments and just slam my bank with $250 payments? I've paid my mortgage using $200 and $500 gift card payments using Plastiq before in the past so I know the bank is able to figure it out.
DaveInLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 1:47 pm
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,531
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
At the top of the post, it says Mastercard is unaffected. Then in the table it lists Citi ThankYou Premier as being affected. Hasn't this card only ever been a Mastercard and not a Visa?

EDIT: Plastiq confirmed Citi Thank You Premier is not affected.
If you read the table carefully, it says "Citi Thank You Premier (Visa only)". Citi years ago used to issue many Visa cards, but in recent years has switched almost excluslively to MC. So it's possible that someone who's had a Premier from many years ago might have a Premier Visa, which would be affected, but anyone who got a CIti TYP Premier in the last few years liikely has a Premier MC, which is not affected.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 1:52 pm
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,531
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 View Post
heads up, anyone that has any cards listed as cash advance, you've been warned - https://plastiq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...s/360005215254
Interesting. It says that for Chase cards it's limited to 20% of your CL, rather than being cash advance. But just to be sure, I looked at the cash advance limit on my Chase Marriott Visa card (where I'm currently doing minimum spend for the signup bonus), and it was 20% of my overall credit limit. I called up Chase and they were able to lower the cash advance credit limit to $100. Since the payment I'm going to make in a week or so on Plastiq with that Chase Marriott Visa card is going to be $600ish, it should either clear if it's indeed 20% of my overall credit limit (since that's well over $10k), or get rejected if they try to process it as a cash advance.

I would suggest anyone worried about cash advance, who never wants to use their card for a cash advance anyway, call up their bank and lower the cash advance to the lowest it can be. How low that is varies a lot from bank to bank.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 4:51 pm
  #154  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 881
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I already scheduled 2 months of mortgage payments (for July 1 and Aug 1) using my Prestige card (which earns 1x) in $500 increments. But today I called Citi retention and was given an offer for an extra 2x (up to 35K extra points) on my Preferred card. Any reason I should NOT just cancel my Prestige $500 payments and just slam my bank with $250 payments? I've paid my mortgage using $200 and $500 gift card payments using Plastiq before in the past so I know the bank is able to figure it out.
I would have some paranoia that one of your $250 payments gets misplaced or misprocessed, if you're sending the bank, say, 100 checks of $250 each. Is it worth 2.5%? I don't know
ralphs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 5:49 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,332
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
I would have some paranoia that one of your $250 payments gets misplaced or misprocessed, if you're sending the bank, say, 100 checks of $250 each. Is it worth 2.5%? I don't know
Eh, I was thinking 20-25. When I did this with $200 gift card, I would vary the payments by a penny. $195.12, $195.11... so I could see which payment didnít go through. Thankfully they all went through.
But you bring up a good point.
DaveInLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 18, 8:55 pm
  #156  
CDO
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post


Eh, I was thinking 20-25. When I did this with $200 gift card, I would vary the payments by a penny. $195.12, $195.11... so I could see which payment didnít go through. Thankfully they all went through.
But you bring up a good point.
Used to do that with BPs at wally's that way I could identify if needbe
CDO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:47 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Etp View Post
Any DP or info about the cash advance status of US Bank Altitude Reserve?
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Interesting. It says that for Chase cards it's limited to 20% of your CL, rather than being cash advance. But just to be sure, I looked at the cash advance limit on my Chase Marriott Visa card (where I'm currently doing minimum spend for the signup bonus), and it was 20% of my overall credit limit. I called up Chase and they were able to lower the cash advance credit limit to $100. Since the payment I'm going to make in a week or so on Plastiq with that Chase Marriott Visa card is going to be $600ish, it should either clear if it's indeed 20% of my overall credit limit (since that's well over $10k), or get rejected if they try to process it as a cash advance.

I would suggest anyone worried about cash advance, who never wants to use their card for a cash advance anyway, call up their bank and lower the cash advance to the lowest it can be. How low that is varies a lot from bank to bank.
I am guessing your cahrge will be declined. Chase is known to initially process many transactions against your cash advance limit and than post as a purchase. My guess is the logic of the 20% is that it will initially process agianst your CA limit.
chaser123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:00 am
  #158  
Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TIJ/SAN
Programs: All of them.
Posts: 1,301
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
I don't see what stops people from scheduling two $250 payments for every $500 in payments they were going to do originally, before the promotion changed.
Officially there is nothing to stop you. But I suspect Plastiq will shut you down if you make too many consecutive $250 payments to the same biller.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:47 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
Officially there is nothing to stop you. But I suspect Plastiq will shut you down if you make too many consecutive $250 payments to the same biller.
I did 10 payments of 500 each (2 payments per day for five days) before May 31. All went through. My guess is that MasterCard (MasterPass) has been footing the bill for the fees so Plastiq is probably - emphasis probably - does not care much. This is probably why they basically encouraged people to do as much payments as they could before May 31 in an email in which they announced changes to the promotion.
zmicer88 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:04 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Does anyone have experience with Metabank VGCs with Plastiq recently? I tried using them after the cash advance change (June 1) and all my payments are declined.

Plastiq points that their system is fine, but I think Metabank is blocked as well.
charles6974 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:31 am
  #161  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 469
I dont understand what the difference allowing $250 instead of $500 if you can do multiple payments?
ChuckMango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 1:44 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 881
Originally Posted by ChuckMango View Post
I dont understand what the difference allowing $250 instead of $500 if you can do multiple payments?
Hassle, 2x change of lost payments, and most importantly, unable to pay bills in the $250-500 range where it is undesirable (for whatever reason) to have multiple payments. There are some vendors where I'd rather eat a 2.5% fee than save money for relationship purposes (e.g. my attorney).
ralphs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:20 pm
  #163  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
Hassle, 2x change of lost payments, and most importantly, unable to pay bills in the $250-500 range where it is undesirable (for whatever reason) to have multiple payments. There are some vendors where I'd rather eat a 2.5% fee than save money for relationship purposes (e.g. my attorney).
I guess in their minds it would cut down on volume but most bills you can pay multiple times so in effect probably smallish difference
ChuckMango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:51 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by charles6974 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Metabank VGCs with Plastiq recently? I tried using them after the cash advance change (June 1) and all my payments are declined.

Plastiq points that their system is fine, but I think Metabank is blocked as well.
Not working for me either.
yeahman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 9:44 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 313
Also not working for me
chaser123 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread