Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
Updated Dec-2023 (Plastiq Policy URL links do not work when clicked directly from FT. Copy links to address bar to view)
Visa Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/Visa-Card-Policy

American Express Card Policy
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/American-Express-Card-Policy

Summary of Supported Payments by Card Brand
https://support.plastiq.com/s/article/supported-payments-by-card-brand

Official word from Plastiq regarding Visa Business cards that was asked which was previously thought it applied to only Visa Personal cards
Plastiq is unable to support mortgage payments on any Visa credit cards. This is an industry-wide mandate that affects all third-party bill payment services. Please note that mortgage payments are also unsupported for credit cards issued by U.S. Bank or Capital One and AMEX.

Plastiq Fees:
Standard Plastiq card payment processing fee is 2.9%. This puts most of the credit cards out of the reward range. Plastiq turns itself into a niche position to earn new card bonus or status threshold. Some CCs may still work.
It makes most of the reward programs not profitable. Use Plastiq to meet welcome bonus spending requirement or to meet certain spend requirements to reach elite status or for large spend bonus. Also take advantage of Plastiq referrals and promotions.

Delivery Fees (The Plastiq Ch. 11 restructure now added some delivery fees):
ACH/EFT/Electronic $0.99
Paper Check $1.49
Wire Transfer: Domestic/International $8.99/$39

This is the thread for 2018 and forward. The previous discussion can be found here.
Updated Nov-2018: A lot of the personal Visa CCs can't be used at Plastiq. Some will be treated as cash advance and won't receive any rewards. Only Capital One personal Visa CCs are not affected. Business Visa CCs are still good. The best CCs are Mastercard and Discover. AmEx CCs can still be used, but not on many of the payment types. Chase personal Visa cards are limited to the cash advance limit (typically 20% of CL). The details are listed as below:

Plastiq Referrals:
Standard Referral: When you refer your friend to Plastiq, after your friend charges $500 or more, your friend will get $500 ($0?) FFDs (fee free dollar) and you'll receive $1,000 ($100) FFDs to spend.

All personal prepaid Gift Cards (GCs) are disallowed. Not sure what "business" gift card can be used.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase, Visa info outdated)
Note that Plastiq no longer accepts American Express for any transactions as of 2/10/23.
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Amtrak World MC
BofA - Business Advantage Travel Rewards MC
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Ink Preferred Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
NewRez Mortgage, Sent 9/20 Arrived 9/30
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
SCE (So Cal Edison)
SoCal gas
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Toyota Financial
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions:
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
*Visa Gift Card by Blackhawk does not seem to be working
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2018 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:45 am

I don't mind sending my attorney lots of small checks. I have a great relationship with him.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:35 pm
CDO
Suspended

Worth doing slightly different amounts if doing many payments so you can differentiate them if needed
NeGourmand likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chaser123
I am guessing your cahrge will be declined. Chase is known to initially process many transactions against your cash advance limit and than post as a purchase. My guess is the logic of the 20% is that it will initially process agianst your CA limit.
Actually, it was declined, but when I called Chase, Chase said it was submitted by Plastiq as a cash advance (not submitted as a purchase) and that's why it was declined! And they told me that if I'd had a higher cash advance limit, it would have gone through and posted as a cash advance, not as a purchase! You earn no points/miles/cashback/anything on cash advances, so why in the world would any FTer want to have a Plastiq payment on their own card show up as a cash advance?

I've sent off an email to Plastiq to try to get them to explain themselves. The link above claimed that Plastiq would warn us if the transaction was going to be processed as a cash advance, but they did no such thing, they only told me that it might be limited to 20% of my credit limit, but nothing about a cash advance. So IMHO this is sneaky and misleading and wrong: Plastiq should be not doing cash advance without saying so (or at least warning of the possibility) and giving me the chance to back out.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, it was declined, but when I called Chase, Chase said it was submitted by Plastiq as a cash advance (not submitted as a purchase) and that's why it was declined! And they told me that if I'd had a higher cash advance limit, it would have gone through and posted as a cash advance, not as a purchase! You earn no points/miles/cashback/anything on cash advances, so why in the world would any FTer want to have a Plastiq payment on their own card show up as a cash advance?

I've sent off an email to Plastiq to try to get them to explain themselves. The link above claimed that Plastiq would warn us if the transaction was going to be processed as a cash advance, but they did no such thing, they only told me that it might be limited to 20% of my credit limit, but nothing about a cash advance. So IMHO this is sneaky and misleading and wrong: Plastiq should be not doing cash advance without saying so (or at least warning of the possibility) and giving me the chance to back out.
Try a $10.00 payment. I bet you it goes into pending transaction as cash advance and posts as a purchase. I have this happen to me on several quasi cash purchases with chase. Chase has some weird glitch in their system, as if it knows the charge should be a cash advance but posts as a purchase. This used to always happen on the Visa Buxx loads with chase. You would make a purchase and it would go against your cash advance line but 2 days later when it posts , it would always post as a purchase. I would try myself but I am currently using the masterpass promtion.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chaser123
Try a $10.00 payment. I bet you it goes into pending transaction as cash advance and posts as a purchase. I have this happen to me on several quasi cash purchases with chase. Chase has some weird glitch in their system, as if it knows the charge should be a cash advance but posts as a purchase. This used to always happen on the Visa Buxx loads with chase. You would make a purchase and it would go against your cash advance line but 2 days later when it posts , it would always post as a purchase. I would try myself but I am currently using the masterpass promtion.
I had a couple emails back and forth with Plastiq, and they admit that they're authorizing as a cash advance but then putting it through as a payment. So it's Plastiq, not Chase that's doing this here, and so thus presumably anywhere else you've run into it it's also being done by the merchant, not by Chase. (Now, whether Chase is recommending to them that they do that, that I don't know, but it's the merchant who is actually doing it.)

But they also say that this cash advance authoriization garbage is temporary (so temporary that that's why they're not necessarily going to work on documenting it any better, despite admitting that the 20% stuff is not good documentation). What is going to happen after this "temporary" phase ends, I don't know, but I don't think it's worth running experiments on something that's temporary, if you don't need a temporary way around it.

In my case, I gave up on using the Marriott personal Visa because it turns out I'm going to meet the minimum spend easier than I thought even without this payment.

So I'm also now using the MasterPass promo (on a card that gives me some extra points each month from a retention promo), since I have to make the payment before I could apply for and get any other MasterCard or business Visa that gave a signup bonus with minimum spend; (They already told me that this payee doesn't work with Amex currently, even though it worked with Amex a year ago, and that's why Amex is not possible either.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 11, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:01 am

What is the current play on Plastiq, especially for mortgage payments? I did circa 200k in payments via Plastiq in 2017, but for the second half of 2018 I might hit $0.
  1. No more Citi AT&T @ 3x TY
  2. No BofA Premium Rewards @ 2.625% cash, because Visa is a cash advance and only Mastercard for mortgages
  3. No current promos to lessen the effective fee
I heard a rumor that BofA travel rewards might exist in a Mastercard form, so perhaps I could obtain that card just to keep my volume up and cover the fee. Perhaps there are some Mastercards with high spend bonuses that might make the 2.5% tenable?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:37 am

Interesting. Thanks fopr the info. I was always crios how that happens.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by gmangg
What is the current play on Plastiq, especially for mortgage payments? I did circa 200k in payments via Plastiq in 2017, but for the second half of 2018 I might hit $0.
  2. No BofA Premium Rewards @ 2.625% cash, because Visa is a cash advance and only Mastercard for mortgages
I heard a rumor that BofA travel rewards might exist in a Mastercard form, so perhaps I could obtain that card just to keep my volume up and cover the fee. Perhaps there are some Mastercards with high spend bonuses that might make the 2.5% tenable?
Wow, that is an awful lot of fees!! Good for you, though.

CIP>Mortgage still works for some. Not many left.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by gmangg
Barclays Arrival Premier Mastercard. 53,571 airline miles per year for $25k spend.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cartsing
Barclays Arrival Premier Mastercard. 53,571 airline miles per year for $25k spend.
Great suggestion! I forgot about this product! If they ever add a signup bonus or drop the $150 fee it becomes compelling. I still think BofA Travel rewards in the top tier probably exceeds it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone have issues connecting a new masterpass card since yesterday? It allows me to "continue with checkout", redirects to the Plastiq site with the new masterpass card nowhere to be found..
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Anyone have issues connecting a new masterpass card since yesterday? It allows me to "continue with checkout", redirects to the Plastiq site with the new masterpass card nowhere to be found..
When you use MasterPass on Plastiq it doesn't show your actual card number. It shows a MasterPass-generated card number. In my case it shows me a card number ending in 9xxx, whereas my actual card ends in 3xxx. But my actual card did get charged (on two separate 4250 charges minutes apart, which both waived the fee due the promo, since I actually wanted to charge $500 but the payee lets me do separate smaller charges and $250 is Plastiq's limit per transaction for the MasterPass promo).

So it uses the default card you have set up in MasterPass, but you have to go to MasterPass, not to Plastiq, to figure out which card is your MasterPass default card.

All Plastiq knows is that you're using MasterPass, not what card you have in MasterPass.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Barclay's Jetblue plus cc is a MC. 50k spend gets you mosaic status. Not sure if the status is worth striving for
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
When you use MasterPass on Plastiq it doesn't show your actual card number. It shows a MasterPass-generated card number. In my case it shows me a card number ending in 9xxx, whereas my actual card ends in 3xxx. But my actual card did get charged (on two separate 4250 charges minutes apart, which both waived the fee due the promo, since I actually wanted to charge $500 but the payee lets me do separate smaller charges and $250 is Plastiq's limit per transaction for the MasterPass promo).

So it uses the default card you have set up in MasterPass, but you have to go to MasterPass, not to Plastiq, to figure out which card is your MasterPass default card.

All Plastiq knows is that you're using MasterPass, not what card you have in MasterPass.
Thanks, I know about the different MP number, but didn’t realize it only takes the “default” card. I already have a MP setup with one Citi card and now trying to add another from Citi, but doesn’t appear to work after selecting from the Citi MP site when it redirects back to Plastiq.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:08 pm
CDO
Suspended

That is good advice i used the wrong mastercard accidentally!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.