Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Are there any data points of people getting shut down for double dipping two chase cards on the same day (CSP/CSR and SW/SW)?

Even if u double dip , try to reduce the credit limit asap , if u see it risky. If your overall credit limit is less than say 10 % ( my assumption) of your stated income with chase, then definitely i think u should be good.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:46 am

Well, my chs3 train has come to an end..... for now.
Haven't got the letter, but all accounts were shut down as of last Friday.
I woke up to my Applepay saying it had removed all my cards from it and I was like, "That's weeeiiiiirddd.".
Then I tried to buy gas .... denied. Me: "Uh Oh". Sure enough, Chs3 rep read the "Chs3 has ended its relationship w/ you.." statement.

I guess I can protest / appeal once I get the the letter of severance which I assume has information on that.

My stats:
1. SHUTdn by Bank: Chs3
2. Length of account before closure and CL:
1nk: ~4 years
Fr3ed0m: ~2.5 years
Fre3d0m Unlim (formaly Sapph pr3f): 6 years
Fr3ed0m Unlim: 2 years
Un1t3d: 7 years
Sapphir3 R3s. 1+ years
Sapph Pr3f: 2 years (only as a secondary account person from wife's account)

3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? I don't bank w/ chs3 only had CC.
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? Recently 25K/month. Mostly through Simon and when OD/OM running its deals. Been doing this much for ~ year. Gradually increased from ~5K about 4 years ago to the 25K now.
5. Cycle CL? Never
6. Did you BP using both options? If you mean sending $ though website and doing WM billpay, Yes. If you mean doing wally billlpay to V1sa and to chs3, then No.
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum? Possibly.

The one curve ball that might have raised the flag on me was the fact that the card that I was secondary on was used super heavily one month due to my wife's not being able to use her go-to AM3-ex. She had to use it as her primary means of cc and got right up to the credit limit of the card. The usage jacked w/ my credit utilization % amount and dropped my credit score. She paid it off after a month and my score went right back to where it was, but for a month it dropped below 700. IDK.

Last edited by chippy111; Aug 23, 2018 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by chippy111
Well, my chs3 train has come to an end..... for now.
Haven't got the letter, but all accounts were shut down as of last Friday.
I woke up to my Applepay saying it had removed all my cards from it and I was like, "That's weeeiiiiirddd.".
Then I tried to buy gas .... denied. Me: "Uh Oh". Sure enough, Chs3 rep read the "Chs3 has ended its relationship w/ you.." statement.

I guess I can protest / appeal once I get the the letter of severance which I assume has information on that.

My stats:
1. SHUTdn by Bank: Chs3
2. Length of account before closure and CL:
1nk: ~4 years
Fr3ed0m: ~2.5 years
Fre3d0m Unlim (formaly Sapph pr3f): 6 years
Fr3ed0m Unlim: 2 years
Un1t3d: 7 years
Sapphir3 R3s. 1+ years
Sapph Pr3f: 2 years (only as a secondary account person from wife's account)

3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? I don't bank w/ chs3 only had CC.
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? Recently 25K/month. Mostly through Simon and when OD/OM running its deals. Been doing this much for ~ year. Gradually increased from ~5K about 4 years ago to the 25K now.
5. Cycle CL? Never
6. Did you BP using both options? If you mean sending $ though website and doing WM billpay, Yes. If you mean doing wally billlpay to V1sa and to chs3, then No.
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum? Possibly.

The one curve ball that might have raised the flag on me was the fact that the card that I was secondary on was used super heavily one month due to my wife's not being able to use her go-to AM3-ex. She had to use it as her primary means of cc and got right up to the credit limit of the card. The usage jacked w/ my credit utilization % amount and dropped my credit score. She paid it off after a month and my score went right back to where it was, but for a month it dropped below 700. IDK.
how long did you use appl3 pay for?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
The only "unusual" activity preceding the invitation to leave was the deposit of a cash-advance check from one of the chs3 cc's, for $5k (against a 50k CL). The Dear John letter came 2 weeks later.

Talked to my personal banker in branch, and she was quite unhappy about it (we'd been discussing a refi on an 800k mortgage), but she said there was nothing she could do about it.
You used a chase cash-advance check at the same time that you were discussing a refi? I look at cash advance deals to help me judge interest rate risk. Using a cash-advance check is basically telling that financial institution that you are a risk. This is a tool of the bank. It's only an emergency tool for you, and the price is a potential end to your relationship.

That does seriously suck to have to move your bank accounts. The good news is that there are plenty of banks that would pay you more interest on your money. Thanks for the data point.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alvinroast
You used a chase cash-advance check at the same time that you were discussing a refi? I look at cash advance deals to help me judge interest rate risk. Using a cash-advance check is basically telling that financial institution that you are a risk. This is a tool of the bank. It's only an emergency tool for you, and the price is a potential end to your relationship.

That does seriously suck to have to move your bank accounts. The good news is that there are plenty of banks that would pay you more interest on your money. Thanks for the data point.
Considering that I had a combined 120k in chs3 checking and savings for the past 4 years? It seems unlikely that making use of one of their 0% interest offers raised any red flags re: my financial stability
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by devastitis

how long did you use appl3 pay for?
i never really used Apple Pay except for when The Freedom bonus category included Apple payments.... what was it... 3 quarters ago?

other than that, never used it.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Considering that I had a combined 120k in chs3 checking and savings for the past 4 years? It seems unlikely that making use of one of their 0% interest offers raised any red flags re: my financial stability
Why would you leave 120k sitting in a Chase savings/checking account?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beast7276
Why would you leave 120k sitting in a Chase savings/checking account?
my piggy bank was already full
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:55 am

my piggy bank was already full
Go by another piggy bank then :-)

Just say you don't care about the puny 1-2K annual interest as one only gets half of that after tax.:-)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
This is a Chase shut down question.

So I haven’t read all the posts and I’ve actually never quite understood it all when it comes to credit card shut downs and so I’m going to ask this of those of you in here we’re willing to disclose it:

I have been shut down by banks that are primarily in my area and also a couple of large ones like Bank of America and citi— and therefore also their credit card products. Most of this probably had to do with putting “too many” money orders in, whatever that arbitrary number may be. There are things that can trigger things and even if you think you’ve never had a problem but they eventually might.

But I’ve never been shut down by Chase or American Express or Barklay. Yet.

I’d say for churning, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most, I was always probably ran a six or a seven at best. Back in the day I was probably a little envious that I wasn’t doing more.

I would say I mostly did a lot of MS on the cards I had and even kept them as opposed to always signing up for new ones. But I did do it.

Maybe I got lucky and it was when I stopped churning as opposed to the fact that I did it at all.

So the question is, what do you think it was that primarily made it so that they shut you down from Chase? Was it a mistake or a glitch or being caught in the net or churning?

why did I not get nabbed?

i currently use and still buy gcs on these ccs:

amexs
ink
jetblue
flexperks
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

So I haven’t read all the posts and I’ve actually never quite understood it all when it comes to credit card shut downs and so I’m going to ask this of those of you in here we’re willing to disclose it:

I have been shut down by banks that are primarily in my area and also a couple of large ones like Bank of America and citi— and therefore also their credit card products. Most of this probably had to do with putting “too many” money orders in, whatever that arbitrary number may be. There are things that can trigger things and even if you think you’ve never had a problem but they eventually might.

But I’ve never been shut down by Chase or American Express or Barklay. Yet.

I’d say for churning, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most, I was always probably ran a six or a seven at best. Back in the day I was probably a little envious that I wasn’t doing more.

I would say I mostly did a lot of MS on the cards I had and even kept them as opposed to always signing up for new ones. But I did do it.

Maybe I got lucky and it was when I stopped churning as opposed to the fact that I did it at all.

So the question is, what do you think it was that primarily made it so that they shut you down from Chase? Was it a mistake or a glitch or being caught in the net or churning?

i currently use and still buy gcs on these ccs:

amexs
ink
jetblue
flexperks

were you depositing mo's in chase checking or just churning/msing on their cards?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Lots

Probably because you haven’t done anything that puts eyes on your account. Either by requesting too much credit too soon, using certain third party pay services like Apple Pay, a payment that bounced, or many other reasons.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
were you depositing mo's in chase checking or just churning/msing on their cards?
no chase banks where i am in ma so only ms and churn ccs
had em all and multiples at times too

had checking for a while but closed it long ago
never put an mo in there
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

no chase banks where i am in ma so only ms and churn ccs
had em all and multiples at times too

had checking for a while but closed it long ago
never put an mo in there
So prolly that's why
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
So prolly that's why
possible

but who knows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.